• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wilkes Bashford

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got a pair of olive-ish wingtips from WB. Beautiful construction. Can't wait to visit that store in person.

pkincy

Reaction score
What day in August is the Sale?? Let's have a GTG in SF that day.

Lemme know and I will book a ticket on the 6 AM flight getting into SF at 8 AM and we can eat breakfast at Sears and walk over when WB opens.

I want to get some more Lobbs anyhow.

Perry

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wilkes Bashford isn't as avant-garde nowadays; however, slightly next door is a new store selling very black clothing from lesser known designers such as Les Hommes, et al. It was opened by a former Saks Men's store "Advanced Sportswear" employee.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Wilkes Bashford isn't as avant-garde nowadays; however, slightly next door is a new store selling very black clothing from lesser know designers such as Les Hommes, et al. It was opened by a former Saks Men's store "Advanced Sportswear" employee.

It's called The Vault, I think, or something similar (I mentioned the store earlier, and someone remembered the name for me). Not bad, and it has the distinction of being the only store of its kind in SF. And yes, it is a very black store. Lots of Costume National, I remember.

drake

Reaction score
The Archive I think it's called? I think it's something with an A. I think they also stock Yohji Yamamoto, overall I wasn't impressed the last time I went there.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
The Archive I think it's called? I think it's something with an A. I think they also stock Yohji Yamamoto, overall I wasn't impressed the last time I went there.
Yes, it's called The Archive. They stock the type of designers that San Francisco, despite its liberal leanings, lacks. The closest one came was with Saks Fifth Ave. Men's Store Fifth Floor or Rolo.

tahitiantreat

Reaction score
www.archivesf.com

I find it more interesting, and quite different, than Wilkes. Yes, "avant-garde"[LK] is a good way to put it, and it certainly is dissimilar to anything else in SF.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's called The Vault, I think, or something similar
You're probably thinking of Villains Vault. I've not been there or this Archive store, I need to check them out on of these days.

LabelKing, for a monent I thought you were talking about that horrid store, Couture or something
biggrin.gif
Their only claim to fame is that they are right next door to Wilkes and they are always trying to leach Wilkes customers. Awful place.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
You're probably thinking of Villains Vault. I've not been there or this Archive store, I need to check them out on of these days. LabelKing, for a monent I thought you were talking about that horrid store, Couture or something
biggrin.gif
Their only claim to fame is that they are right next door to Wilkes and they are always trying to leach Wilkes customers. Awful place.

There used to be a progressive designer store on Maiden Lane about 15-20 years ago when I.Magnin was still a presence. The horrid Couture store I've seen-it reminds me of Chico's. I think it's only women's clothing though.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake

Sorry, yesm the Archive. I saw a few decent things, but wasn't all that impressed last time I was there either. It does have the distinction of being the only store of its kind in SF. In NYC or LA, it wouldn't hold a candle to the likes of Jeffrey or Maxfield, respectively.

southgate house

Reaction score
MAC in SF carries Dries Van Noten and Margiela, but is located in Hayes Valley. It's another alternative to the fifth floor of Saks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southgate house
MAC in SF carries Dries Van Noten and Margiela, but is located in Hayes Valley. It's another alternative to the fifth floor of Saks.

I like MAC - really more my style than the Archive - the tone is considerably different, as is the stable of designers, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads