• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wider trousers

Reaction score
For years I've desperately been trying to find a more traditionally cut pair of trousers (wider, straight fit with a high rise -- preferably in dark grey wool).

But sadly, the slim fit reigns supreme in the year 2022. And I'm kinda done having to pay crazy import tariffs to get stuff like Spier & Mackay contemporary models (which are still a bit too slim for my taste and leg-build, not to mention their QC).

So: any tips on where to go in the Netherlands / Europe to find pants like the ones below?
Any tips on more traditional Ivy stuff would also be very much appreciated.
Thanks so much!

IMG-0509.jpg IMG-0508.jpg IMG-0507.jpg IMG-0505.jpg

Milten

Reaction score
With suitsupply custom made, you can order a pair significantly wider and get another additional 3 cm width of material to let out on both seams. Rise can be ordered high too.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how widely available this stuff is in Europe, but try older Polo Ralph Lauren stuff from eBay. Most of it has a relaxed fit. If you have a pair of pants you like, measure them and use them as a standard for buying on eBay. Good luck.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Casatlantic seems to the fit that you're looking for, especially the Tanger line of trousers. Chinos though, not dressy wool trousers. Rubato chinos may also suit you, but they're more pricy.

Tweed in stockholm typically stock more classic cut trousers, but it's a store that really needs to be visited, their website is NOT up to date for trousers. They have a classic English style, so lots of cords and (unsurprisingly) tweed.

If you're willing to make things a bit more complicated, Götrisch&Co will cut you proper bespoke trousers starting at about 300 euro (going up to about twice that if you want the most expensive fox flannel). This isn't pocket change, but very cheap for bespoke, and the guy who runs the order process is a big fan of classic cuts, so if you want wide, they will give you wide. You'll probably have to go there in person to get measurements taken, but for trousers you can usually get away with doing so once, and then order digitally once the pattern fits you.

There's also obviously various MTM services (like Suit Supply, mentioned above) but the problem there is that their baseline is very slim, so if you're unlucky and get someone fresh out of "skin tight fit" training, your "wide" trousers will be slim instead of skinny. If you get a good sales rep, it's probably fine, I had good luck using a local MtM service to make me some more classic trousers, but these days I stick to bespoke for wool trousers. The price difference isn't large enough to justify anything else.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For years I've desperately been trying to find a more traditionally cut pair of trousers (wider, straight fit with a high rise -- preferably in dark grey wool).

But sadly, the slim fit reigns supreme in the year 2022. And I'm kinda done having to pay crazy import tariffs to get stuff like Spier & Mackay contemporary models (which are still a bit too slim for my taste and leg-build, not to mention their QC).

So: any tips on where to go in the Netherlands / Europe to find pants like the ones below?
Any tips on more traditional Ivy stuff would also be very much appreciated.
Thanks so much!

View attachment 1837083 View attachment 1837084 View attachment 1837086 View attachment 1837087

I'm totally with you, I also love wide leg trousers. Today is quite difficult to find the fit we are into, so the best option may be to have them made to order.

Dadacantona

Reaction score
Considering one of those photos is of me I can tell you I wear Kit Blake

joorinainen

Reaction score
With suitsupply custom made, you can order a pair significantly wider and get another additional 3 cm width of material to let out on both seams. Rise can be ordered high too.

Suitsupply custom made. Great value. You can have any style you want from there. Slim, wide you name it. I have also drifted towards classic wider trousers and i use Suitsupply.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful silhouette on this suit by Caid. I love how the trousers look, beautifully draping. Can't understand why skinny pants have become so spread and popular, also at reputable tailors.

Screenshot (872).png

Screenshot (873).png
Screenshot (874).png
Screenshot (875).png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads