• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is it so hard to find a true Slim Dress Shirt?

DJosef

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. I have a healthy, moderately athletic body shape, and most RTW shirts give me muffin tops and "flying squirrel" armpits.

My experiences are:
- C&A "slim fit" dress shirts fit me okay with neither of the above, but I need to move the collar button by a notch to have a comfortable "insert two fingers" fit on my neck. Since I'm on the small side, I need to go with XS, which is pretty rare.
- The absolute same situation with Uniqlo slim fit shirts. They are pretty cheap, but quite forgettable both in fabric and cut, the C&A ones are superior. (Though Uniqlo readily carries XS, while C&A may have them once in a leap year if lucky.)
- I also tried Topman slim shirts, which ARE rather slim, but far too slim in chest too, so that's a no for me.

Everything else I've tried was too big and bulky, even in their minimum size, both in Europe and New York. I was planning to check out Suitsupply's extra slims but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess the only REAL solution is MTM.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
beware of the images on websites.............RLPL, for example, are pinned on the models - their shirts do not fit like they appear.

that said, this is probably the 3rd or 4th similar thread about this topic I've seen..........how hard can it be??? Maybe what you're looking for requires custom tailoring?

Midnight

Reaction score
Based on the shirts I've measured, Hugo Boss Extra Slim fit comes out the slimmest.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Black Label or MTM. Those are the only solutions I've been able to come up with.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ralph Lauren Black Label or MTM. Those are the only solutions I've been able to come up with.

RLBL shirts are not slim.
PRL offers slim fit dress shirts really nice slim fittings. But only to EU market.PRL offering is good for regular business use.
Other than that...
Ck grey label offers the slimmest fit of all. I am w27 and they fit nicely(size 37). D&G offer similar fittings.PS by Paul smith. Most fashion brands or diffusion lines offers really slim fit shirts.
Downside of all of them are they don’t holdup that good for regular wear. After 3-4 washes they look a bit too worn for dressy business shirt(which they are really not meant for at the first place anyway).

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score
Just have your tailor take in the shirt.

Also: those RLPL shirts look like garbage. And I can only imagine how constrictive they must feel.

Last edited:

jon54

Reaction score
It varies for every body type I guess..a slim fit for me may not exactly fit well with another so I think it's best to have your measurement taken by a skilled tailor for those types.

DJosef

Reaction score
Maybe it would make sense to change the question. What would be a reliable and affordable MTM shirtmaker?

tonylamer

Reaction score
Just have your tailor take in the shirt.
Also: those RLPL shirts look like garbage. And I can only imagine how constrictive they must feel.

The word "slim" is used a lot on this site, and I think that some of the confusion might be that some people are slim in the sense of being toned and athletic (which, oddly, can be measured in wrist size--i.e., 7.5"+), and some people are slim in the sense of being 5'11", 150.

The slimmest dress shirts that I own--and have seen--are my darted 16/41 Prada models with an 18" waist. (And the quality is actually very good.) If you need any slimmer than that, there's nothing wrong with spending the $10 to have them tailored.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People don't seem to understand the difference between slim and tapered.

mcbrown

Reaction score

there's nothing wrong with spending the $10 to have them tailored.

This, this, one thousand times this!

If you care enough to spend countless hours searching for the perfect OTR shirt, then you care enough to spend 10 minutes and $10 with a tailor.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unless you can find your OTR brand that fits really well (sleeve length is always an issue for me), once you go MTM (Bespoke for ballers) you will never look back...If i need to spend $50 (plus tailoring), I will go MTM ..Good Luck

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads