Why is it so hard to find a true Slim Dress Shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bexcellence, Dec 31, 2012.

1. mrdashington

mrdashington Member

I'm 15.5/39 and I wear Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit and Thomas Pink Slim. Thomas Pink has an Extra Slim as well. I honestly can't imagine that being baggy on anybody unless they're anorexic.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Those still have a lot of fabric. If you go MTM, make sure you get high armholes and slim sleeves...sometimes there's too much focus on the torso.

There are only two brands that I consider truly slim RTW: Dior and Balenciaga. Everything else is laughable when they say slim.

3. red81

red81 Senior member

you guys have no luck with sizing down?

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I have, but it depends on the neck size. I'm short, so I can size down and the proportions of the sleeve and body length are usually even better, but I suppose it could be trickier for a taller guy.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

holy, what kind of orangutan arms do you have????

6. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

7. Scabal Fanatic

Scabal Fanatic Active Member

To answer the main question, why is it hard to find "real slim shirts", it is because as stated in a lot of articles and in a lot of news recently, most people are obese in America. Companies want to sell to most people so they make big shirts.

I "feel your pain" because I am 6,4 inches and 165 lbs. No freaking shirt will fit me properly. We have 1 store that is called Mexx in Canada that will sell decent shirts (at least for the size) but still, far from perfect.

The shirts that the models wear on your pictures are very adjusted. I own 2 bespoke shirts that are like that (just half an inch more lose) and it is not hard to wear, I am not constricted in them, I and I look good in them.

Do yourself a favor and get some bespoke shirts!

8. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Bespoke is fine and all, but for regular guys, just having their RTW shirts tailored is the far saner option. Better to put that bespoke money toward well-made shoes or suits.

9. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

"Slim" means something different to everyone, and since the typical guy is more squishy and round than statuesque, the clothes tend to be cut to accommodate that. As someone who is tall, fit and slim, I've tried a lot of "slim" rtw shirts, and they all fit like sacks. For me, "slim" is a combination of the second and third pictures The pictures are obviously edited, and my chest would pop a button in the first one, but I have shirts with similar fits that look and feel great. MTM is the only option that I've found that provides that type of fit. You could always buy a shirt and have it tailored, but why? You'll probably end up paying as much as (if not more than) mtm.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  10. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I was specifically referring to bespoke shirts, decent ones which start at around 300 dollars a pop. MTM is better value, but still less bang for the buck than buying quality shirts on sale and having them tailored.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  11. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

If you find a shirt that is inexpensive to begin with, you can still come in way under MTM pricing. Charles Tyrwhitt fit me OK, but once my tailor is done with them, they fit on par with MTM. He charges me $22 per shirt, and the shirts generally range from $40-50 on sale. I don't, however, get to pick the fabric, cuff and collar configuration.

12. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior member

Quote:where can I find Stenströms and Tiger of Sweden in NYC?