• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why I Like Gaziano & Girling

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just purchased my first pair of Gaziano & Girling MTO (made to order--not bespoke) shoes and wanted to report on my experience. I had waited a while for G&G to get the kinks out of their relatively-new operation before ordering, but placed my first order late last spring. I ordered the Astaire (shown below) with a few custom features.

First, the shoes in the picture aren't mine; they're from the G&G catalog. Mine, however, are very similar except for the fact that the smooth leather is not the pin grain in the picture, but rather the G&G Vintage Oak. This is antiqued and is very like the EG Dark Oak. It provides a striking blend with the mole (dark brown) suede. Mine too are on the DG70, Smart Round, last. For some reason, I'm now finding sleek round-toe lasts more appealing than square-toe variations, of which I have many. This last is probably much like the EG 82 last, I imagine, although someone familiar with both may want to correct this if I'm wrong.

I asked Dean Girling to have the soles trimmed very close (which was done) and provide the full sock, rather than the more usual (also with EG) half sock.

I'm very very pleased with the resulting shoes. They came within the promised 5 months and, fortunately (since I was not fitted by G&G), the fit is close to perfect--a little tight now prior to serious wearing, but beginning to loosen up a little. I think I've been lucky with this last in my size, as they seem to fit much the way bespoke shoes must (not that I'd know for sure!), with close conformation to my feet in all places. They feel great, and there is nowhere in the shoes in which there is empty space. The beveled waist and moderate fiddleback effect on the sole at the waist is a nice improvement over the present EG regular-line offerings (I gather the Top Drawer line provides the same waist treatment), and is slightly superior to that found in the Lobb Prestige Line shoes. The quality throughout--materials, stitching, details, sole and heel finishing--seems to me to be really outstanding, at least on a par with my EGs, and the lasted shoe trees represent an improvement over the EG trees. Finally, the whole process of ordering and specifying features went very smoothly with Dean Girling, and he was generous with his time in answering my questions and making suggestions.

Although certainly not inexpensive at around 500 GBP, G&G MTO shoes really represent good value for money in my opinion--particularly at today's incredible exchange rates (making them about $750 USD). I guess I'd better order another pair before this situation changes!
smile.gif
I've been concerned to hear about the problems at Alfred Sargent and hope--as we all do--that the effect on Tony and Dean will be minimal.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice shoes R! I agree that $750 with lasted trees isn't so bad considering the veritable shoe wasteland that is the Great White North with AE for $400, Ferragamo for $600...). Please post pics of your shoes in dark oak/suede; would love to see them.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trees are extra, I believe.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger

Although certainly not inexpensive at around 500 GBP, G&G MTO shoes really represent good value for money in my opinion--particularly at today's incredible exchange rates (making them about $750 USD). I guess I'd better order another pair before this situation changes!
smile.gif
I've been concerned to hear about the problems at Alfred Sargent and hope--as we all do--that the effect on Tony and Dean will be minimal.

The shoes are new. How many times did you wear them? Or is the good value for the money thing without wearing?

Is this advertising? Or even GG spam???

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
The shoes are new. How many times did you wear them? Or is the good value for the money thing without wearing?

This post puzzles me. It seems to me that the concept of "good value for the money" can stand independently of whether or not I have yet worn the shoes! Secondly, this is definitely neither advertising nor spam. It is a simple report of my experience with G&G, which will, I hope, be informative to others--the fact that the experience was very positive notwithstanding!

the.chikor

Reaction score

laugh.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great looking shoes Roger, congrats!

ccffm1

Reaction score

Is this drivel? Or even lunacy?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Nice shoes R! I agree that $750 with lasted trees isn't so bad considering the veritable shoe wasteland that is the Great White North with AE for $400, Ferragamo for $600...). Please post pics of your shoes in dark oak/suede; would love to see them.
Perhaps I should have been a little more precise in describing the price. As Grimslade notes, the trees are extra. Specifically, the shoes were 470 GBP ($706 US at today's exchange rates), and the trees were 75 GBP (about $112 US). So, for $706 + $15, say, for a pair of Epic or Woodlore trees, you could be in them for around $720-$725. But with G&G lasted trees (which I got and would recommend), the price would be about $818. But then, of course, there's also shipping...$75.
frown.gif
Duties/taxes, however, were a very reasonable $.00.
smile.gif

EL, re the picture, although I now have a good camera, I don't have good skill, with the result probably being substantially worse than the catalog shot. I don't think that the subtleties of the Vintage Oak would be visible. I've discovered that before I can take and post really decent pictures, I will need some kind of light box/miniature photo studio arrangement. In fact, I'm looking at one these days from the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog for $100.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Perhaps I should have been a little more precise in describing the price. As Grimslade notes, the trees are extra. Specifically, the shoes were 470 GBP ($706 US at today's exchange rates), and the trees were 75 GBP (about $112 US). So, for $706 + $15, say, for a pair of Epic or Woodlore trees, you could be in them for around $720-$725. But with G&G lasted trees (which I got and would recommend), the price would be about $818. But then, of course, there's also shipping...$75.
frown.gif
Duties/taxes, however, were a very reasonable $.00.
smile.gif

EL, re the picture, although I now have a good camera, I don't have good skill, with the result probably being substantially worse than the catalog shot. I don't think that the subtleties of the Vintage Oak would be visible. I've discovered that before I can take and post really decent pictures, I will need some kind of light box/miniature photo studio arrangement. In fact, I'm looking at one these days from the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog for $100.

Suit yourself, but often over-exposing by a half stop or two and using a desk lamp helps. Here's a picture of EGs taken that way.

EGsDBlack.jpg

That was taken next to my keyboard on my dodgy desk with a lamp from Ikea and on a Canon point+shoot camera from 2005.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roger - these sound terrific. I'm glad you've had a good experience with G&G as this tempts me even more to give them a try. Keep them inside this weekend - we may see some snow!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads