• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why don’t they put solar panels on top of 18-wheelers?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
It's actually an externatility problem. There is a cost imposed on society that is not compensated by the perpetrators (sp?). Hence the marginal social cost is actually higher than the marginal private cost (the difference being the amount of the externality). Since people only respond to the costs they face, we see prices too low and quantities (of driving semi-trucks, say) too high.

Pollution allowance markets are fairly well advanced by this point. They are unfortunately completely inappropriate for the pollution coming from cars.

bob

You're right, the pricing problem an externality problem, which is part of the phenomenon of the tragedy of the commons. It's a tragedy, because of some actors, the unlimited access to a clean environment will ultimately destroys it. The actor's overpolluting cost is an externality on society. While his marginal revenue from polluting is greater than his private marginal cost, he will continue to pollute.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
You're right, the pricing problem an externality problem, which is part of the phenomenon of the tragedy of the commons. It's a tragedy, because of some actors, the unlimited access to a clean environment will ultimately destroys it. The actor's overpolluting cost is an externality on society. While his marginal revenue from polluting is greater than his private marginal cost, he will continue to pollute.

I tend to view the concept of an open access or common property resource problem as generally used only for natural resources (i.e. taking stuff out--fisheries, forestry, etc.), not problems of the enviornment (i.e. pollution). Though, of course, Hardin did cite pollution as an example. I like to separate them for my students also just to make them clearer (more clear?). I think it also jives better with common usage these days.

Yay, we're getting in an econ lesson!
wink.gif

As for the solar panels on trucks...probably just way too expensive. I thought it would fly with the BMW and how it controlled the AC on hot days, but I guess not. If I could afford it, I'd have my Civic retro-fitted with it. I hate the heat.

Does anyone know, are solar panels expensive to maintain? A friend recently told me that they took the panels off their roof on their new (old) home in Phoenix. When I read that I was floored. If they're already there, why not use them?

bob

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics