• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do classics need to be ugly?

Oliver84

Reaction score
Ok, don't crucify me for posting this. I'm honestly trying to understand a bit of men's fashion as I've been pretty brain dead on the subject. I've been reading a lot on men's dress shoes because I'm in the market for some great shoes that will last me a long time. Everywhere I turn to online people recommend Allen Edmonds all the way.

After hours and hours of reading I totally agree that I should be looking for a shoe with leather sole and Goodyear Welt. The style however, I just can't wrap my head around. My personal "style" I would say is a style that most people on this forum despise. It's the elongated square toes that some may refer to as "elf shoes". I'm not talking about huge pointy ones but basically what you'll see with Steven Madden or Stacy Adam shoes which I know are considered to be pretty much crap shoes now.

I don't wear suits every day, just on the weekends. Every other day I am in business casual dress so some nice slacks and button up, long sleeve shirt. Would you still recommend AE Park Avenues for this? I feel like they're over dressed shoes and frankly not that pleasant looking. At least not compared to the more trendy looks out there. I know trendy looks come and go but I can't wrap my head around why so many people love Park Avenue shoes and hate the more trendy shoes that in my opinion look pretty nice. Is my fashion sense really that off?

Oliver84

Reaction score
They're not but they are probably the most popular. Those and Fifth Avenues seem to be almost a staple from what I've read. May be wrong but either way, the other AE models aren't much better. They are all pretty "old school".

papa kot

Reaction score
They're not but they are probably the most popular. Those and Fifth Avenues seem to be almost a staple from what I've read. May be wrong but either way, the other AE models aren't much better. They are all pretty "old school".

Okay, so try a different brand. Have you heard of Alden, Edward Green, Church's, John Lobb and the likes?

You may be experiencing a culture-style shock. Just like most members on this forum may question your taste in shoes as you've stated in the original post, you question the completely new-to-you style of traditional American footwear.

dappertimes

Reaction score
Your fashion sense is not off. Most people just have their own unique stye.In fact, many brands tat are known to have a traditional, classical appeal are changing to a more modern and contemporary look such as Prada.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so try a different brand. Have you heard of Alden, Edward Green, Church's, John Lobb and the likes?

You may be experiencing a culture-style shock. Just like most members on this forum may question your taste in shoes as you've stated in the original post, you question the completely new-to-you style of traditional American footwear.
I'm not sure why you are fixated on Allen Edmonds. They make a fine product, and I like them mainly because they are sort of unwieldy and have an ugly duckling appeal to them, but if you want a sleeker shoe, you can find something with an elongated toe from any of the brands above, or Vass. Or, of you want to get into more expensive brands, St. Crispins or Gaziano&Girling. There are also lots of good Italian makers out there that make a more lightweight shoe.

I think that people recommend Allen Edmonds because they are relatively inexpensive, but really, there are lots and lots of other choices out there.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, just because you are thinking about buying better quality shoes doesn't mean those shoes have to be boring. AE is a good entry level shoe, yes, but there are plenty of better shoes with more aggressive and modern styles than AE. You should look at Meermin, Carmina, and Kent Wang. You're better off buying one of those than 2 of AE when you hate the style. Go grab a monk strap, chukka, chelsea or a chisel toe oxford. Look at Italian makers too for shapes like the last one.

Oliver84

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. I guess I need to do more research. I've never heard of the brands you guys mentioned. I've just been looking at AE,JM,Florsheim, Cole Haan, etc. I wanted to stay under $200 for a Good year welt if possible. I'm glad to hear my taste isn't completely out of wack.

I have noticed many Italian companies making good quality, modern looking shoes. I'm very into the modern look. Not too crazy looking, but something a bit more interesting than the classics...

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's also important to note that the shoes that you described in your OP (square toe) are, from a fashion sense, also out of style. These trends have a pretty short shelf-life and I'm reasonably confident that they're out as far as "modern/trendy" is concerned. As others mentioned, there are plenty of options out there that are high quality and sleek/elegant.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classics need not be ugly. For Example:

http://cobblersweb.style.coocan.jp/marini1/marini01.htm

http://cobblersweb.style.coocan.jp/bespoke/bespoke-shoemaker6/g.marini.htm

Note that non of these shoes are antiqued, which to me is plague that will hopefully abate.

All you need is the price of a well used Honda.

Full disclosure: I cannot afford the shoes. My dress shoes are from Ludwig Reiter which cost about
as much as higher end Crockett and Jones.

I have these in black and suede. bought them a few years ago when the Euro was lower.

http://www.soletopia.com/2012/12/made-in-vienna-ludwig-reiter-red-chestnut-derby/

Last edited:

RY4N

Reaction score
I don't understand why you choose that thread title? It basically insults the taste of everyone on this forum and doesn't accurately express what your first post is about. What you actually want is quality shoes in the style that you like. AE is considered pretty much the obvious choose for an "affordable" quality shoe, although people on this forum often make misleading claims about their availability at low prices. They do however make shoes like the ones you describe.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't understand why you choose that thread title? It basically insults the taste of everyone on this forum and doesn't accurately express what your first post is about. What you actually want is quality shoes in the style that you like. AE is considered pretty much the obvious choose for an "affordable" quality shoe, although people on this forum often make misleading claims about their availability at low prices.  They do however make shoes like the ones you describe.

+1

Classics are by definition what they are, if you alter them then classics they are not, simply some fashionable abomination. If you can't find the quality you require in the style you require, that rather confirms the point that quality and fashion are not bed fellows but classic and quality certainly are.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for all your input. I guess I need to do more research. I've never heard of the brands you guys mentioned. I've just been looking at AE,JM,Florsheim, Cole Haan, etc. I wanted to stay under $200 for a Good year welt if possible. [COLOR=FF00AA]I'm glad to hear my taste isn't completely out of wack.
[/COLOR]

I have noticed many Italian companies making good quality, modern looking shoes. I'm very into the modern look. Not too crazy looking, but something a bit more interesting than the classics...

No. It is!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads