• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why can't I make friends?

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want any type of lasting fulfilling friendship, don't waste your time with normal people and seek out the funny oddballs. If your friends are hilarious, then it doesn't matter what you're doing or where you are. I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but I can't envision any other type of circle working out for your personality.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
If you want any type of lasting fulfilling friendship, don't waste your time with normal people and seek out the funny oddballs. If your friends are hilarious, then it doesn't matter what you're doing or where you are. I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but I can't envision any other type of circle working out for your personality.

This is a good point.

I imagine havin fun rollin with a bunch of rogue psychotics.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
My sister, the world's most sociable person, recently called home three or four days running, near tears 'cause she was afraid she wouldn't make friends at her first year out in Cali. My advice to you is the same as to her - leave your room, don't come back, do activities and **** and get the **** off of SF!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Conne, the other option is to start playing WoW again. It's not like you get any ***** anyway.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I went to Toledo once. And then I left.

I can't believe conne actually had the thought "hey, it would be fun to live in OHIO!"
lol8[1].gif

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not start meeting people that I would consider my "group" of friends till second semester last year which was my second semester after transferring schools. I met people in the first semester but they were not my "go to" friends. More like just people I know...I did have a roommate who had been going here since freshman year and invited me out all the time with his friends.

However, I think being a transfer student it takes a bit of time as most people are not really "looking" to make friends as opposed to when everyone is a freshman and seems to be looking to make friends everywhere. And a few weeks is not always enough time.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Uhh, don't you live in Canada?

Montreal is awesome though.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I transferred halfway through college and it was difficult for a while.

A large number of the bonds and friendships most people make in college are formed in the first few weeks in the dorms freshman year. When you transfer to a different school, you throw all that away and have to start from scratch.

Still, it sounds like you're doing the right thing. Just keep at it, it will take time. That is just the reality of being a transfer student.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
I did not start meeting people that I would consider my "group" of friends till second semester last year which was my second semester after transferring schools. I met people in the first semester but they were not my "go to" friends. More like just people I know...I did have a roommate who had been going here since freshman year and invited me out all the time with his friends.

However, I think being a transfer student it takes a bit of time as most people are not really "looking" to make friends as opposed to when everyone is a freshman and seems to be looking to make friends everywhere. And a few weeks is not always enough time.

Wait, you're still a student?

The impression I got from your posts was that you were some working professional hotshot in his 30s...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads