• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are hipsters so into waiting in line for brunch?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wasn't brunch invented by chefs to keep their food costs down and to use up all the bits and pieces slowly rotting in the reach ins and walk ins?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

Wasn't brunch invented by chefs to keep their food costs down and to use up all the bits and pieces slowly rotting in the reach ins and walk ins?

This doesn't bother me as much as it does some people. I mean if I have stuff about to go bad at home I'll make what I can from it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

This doesn't bother me as much as it does some people. I mean if I have stuff about to go bad at home I'll make what I can from it.

Yeah, but you don't charge yourself money for the treat of eating food going bad.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Along the same lines, what's with hipsters waiting in line for food trucks... and the love of food trucks in general?

The 4th Sacramento Mobile Food Festival was today and once again, thousands of people showed up to wait in line for hours to get food from the various trucks. I attended the first one last year, but left when I realized that it would take up to three hours to get anything to eat.

I've tried a few of the local trucks when I've found them and while they are sometimes good, it's not because you get food out of a kitchen with wheels.

However, hipsters seems to absolutely love these things.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The same thing happens in Toronto with food trucks. I never understood why I have to pay exorbitant prices and queue to eat food on the street with no cutlery or service. It seems in vogue now for a chef (or more likely a former cook) in between establishments to try this, get some publicity, investors, capital or all of the above, and then move on to opening a permanent place.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Food trucks do not come to suburbia. :satisfied:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Food trucks have been around for decades. There was a pretty thriving company where I grew up that had a huge fleet of trucks that would show up at factory gates at all the right times for the workers to get a soggy fried egg sandwich, bad coffee, etc. The food was all packaged at a central commercial kitchen, trucks loaded up, and off they'd go.

This is just another hipster perversion of a very well established blue collar tradition.

Last edited:

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Food trucks have been around for decades. There was a pretty thriving company where I grew up that had a huge fleet of trucks that would show up at factory gates at all the right times for the workers to get a soggy fried egg sandwich, bad coffee, etc. The food was all packaged at a central commercial kitchen, trucks loaded up, and off they'd go.
This is just another hipster perversion of a very well established blue collar tradition.

Not to mention, the "chippy" or chip-wagon, some of which are mobile, and others not :)

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not a fan of the food truck trend, but given your description of the original, I'm happy with the recent perversion.

speedy4500

Reaction score

Along the same lines, what's with hipsters waiting in line for food trucks... and the love of food trucks in general?
The 4th Sacramento Mobile Food Festival was today and once again, thousands of people showed up to wait in line for hours to get food from the various trucks. I attended the first one last year, but left when I realized that it would take up to three hours to get anything to eat.
I've tried a few of the local trucks when I've found them and while they are sometimes good, it's not because you get food out of a kitchen with wheels.
However, hipsters seems to absolutely love these things.

Food trucks remind hipsters of their adventures eating road-side snack foods prepared by locals during their back-packing trip in Honduras.

Or maybe they like food trucks just to enforce the feeling of being hip since most food trucks do the whole Twitter thing, so you can only find the food truck if you're "in the know."

Most likely some combination thereof.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads