• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are designer's print ads so horribly out of touch?

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
OP is quite homophobic. No, that isn't right.... MC is quite homophobic.

I like the ads, I don't like dick, how do I fit into your little world? These ads are for SW&D types, not MCers.

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

If you really think Gucci, Versace, etc. are doing **** marketing, go outside and ask each person if they know the brand. You do a lot of generalizing of things you don't know about (women, other men, fans of Gucci....). Also, online ads are so ridiculously cheapening and cheesy. You're marsupialed if you think that any prestige brand is going to start doing animated flash ads for anything other than cologne/perfume, especially when they'd be sharing the page with some Target ad or the like versus having all of the reader's attention focused on their one or two page spread.

facepalm.gif
yourself until your face is red.

How many people know of Ford vs Zonda?

The point is they try to have their brands look as if they have some genius doing art direction but the fact that 99% of their sales are cheap items shows exactly what they try to do.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ford and Honda aren't luxury brands, they're appealing to the everyday person. Luxury brands rely on exclusivity to maintain profit margins and they fine tune their ad campaigns to assist in creating an exclusive image.

If you want to compare to cars you'd have to compare to brands like Mercedes whose ad campaigns focus more on how you feel owning the car than about competing on price.

MortyGras

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Ford and Honda aren't luxury brands, they're appealing to the everyday person. Luxury brands rely on exclusivity to maintain profit margins and they fine tune their ad campaigns to assist in creating an exclusive image.

If you want to compare to cars you'd have to compare to brands like Mercedes whose ad campaigns focus more on how you feel owning the car than about competing on price.

...He said Zonda

ChadHahn

Reaction score
There are twelve pages on how ineffective print ads are. I would say they are pretty effective.

Chad

Sartorial1

Reaction score
This is style forum, right?
Do we identify with designers?
I didn't think so.

That should answer your question.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
Takeover ads normally encompass the entire computer screen (more or less, after you've factored in the frame), so it's close enough to a magazine page that there is no loss in effect or overall presence.

If any website tries to cover my entire screen with an ad, providing it even gets past my pop-up blocker and Ad Aware to begin with, it will certainly put me off ever buying anything from their company. Hardly the best way to win over potential customers.

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
If any website tries to cover my entire screen with an ad, providing it even gets past my pop-up blocker and Ad Aware to begin with, it will certainly put me off ever buying anything from their company. Hardly the best way to win over potential customers.

Originally Posted by horse's_ass
look, these are established brands. their current advertising campaigns probably have more to do with maintaining a sense of visible edginess than they do with swaying its base towards making a financial decision they may not have otherwise made.

confused.gif

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheButler
I'm surprised nobody is pointing out that women have been making these types of comments since Twiggy and the stick-thin-model-brigade became the norm. You ain't being original in your complaint.

Here's some support for you. Good luck with it. If you'd like to start seeing Seth Rogen do all the GQ ads, more power to you.

Can you please include a warning next time you post a link like this please!
eek.gif

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

+1

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
confused.gif

Why would it matter if two of the dozens of people arguing with you contradict one another? They all have their own individual ideas about designers, marketing, etc., just as you do.

What's telling is that they all agree you're wrong.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Anyway, my ignore list has just found a new recruit; I need smarmy entitled douchebags with a correspondence-course Marketing degree like I need a shotgun blast to the face.

How many more bukkake references are you going to drop in this threak?

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
Why would it matter if two of the dozens of people arguing with you contradict one another? They all have their own individual ideas about designers, marketing, etc., just as you do. What's telling is that they all agree you're wrong.
^ Speaking of contradictory... "everybody is entitled to their opinion; except yours, because yours is wrong". Forget this argument for a second, and just think about what you said. Who's the one being difficult again? Anyway, it matters a lot. The two contradictory opinions in this case can be used to affirm my point. Gucci's identity crisis apparently extends well beyond their gender-free models and has bled into their advertising target. Hence, my continued contention that the imagery they use is mostly out-of-touch with the demo reading GQ and Esquire. I was acknowledging one of the opinions as valid (the latter quote) and designed a more optimal ad campaign around that suggested premise. Sanguis Mortuum marches in implying that my view is once again misguided, so I link back to the reasoning behind it. A few members participating in this discussion have come to my defense (negusnegas, cazzzidy) and most of the arguments against my case seem to be deeply rooted in "the OP is a snarky douchebag, let's attack him for showboating his career". That, or SF genuinely believes the best way to advertise to females is running a campaign in GQ.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok i take it back you're a pretty good troll. persistence counts for something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads