• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Americans hate so called iGents

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
I actually consider it my responsibility here to also educate
That may be true, but the only function you are properly executing here is your role in amusing us. You are 10 kilos of bullshit in a 9 kilo bag. That is funny. Maybe your sense of humor hasn't advanced past dancing bears?

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Five tons of flax!'

Dancing "what"??? I'll have to look that up in my dictionary...anyway, it's ok I won't torment you poor kids any longer, I have compassion...
smile.gif

amnesiac

Reaction score
Let's just look at the last paragraph. Here, also (where and in addition to what?) an interesting parallel (to what?)with the ostentatious and quite hypocritically exaggerated (compared to what?) American aversion [strike]against[/strike] to lies (even harmless ones) and alcohol (why would you suddenly stop spelling words out?) can be drawn...which is of course only an overcompensation (for? what is being overcompensated?) because no one on the planet loves lies and alcohol as much as the Americans (I fail to see the connection between the unsubstantiated lies and alcohol or the ostentatiousness or the hypocrisy or the exaggeration or the parallel. Also, the ellipses should be a comma). It is the result of a denaturalized spirit furthered by a strong Puritan (Protestant) (protestant is redundant) way of thinking (what specifically of the protestant way of thinking? the calvinism? the minimalism? the messianic 'promised land' justification for manifest destiny?) that makes them perpetually have a bad conscious(makes is the wrong word, and by bad do you mean guilty or evil or moralistic or calvinist original sin guilt or what?)...it is said insecurity in ones own civilisation that makes them judge others rather than themselves (who said? and what does this have to do with puritan values or alcoholic lies?). A lack of irony and elegance that makes the parvenu nitpicking and humorless. (this is a fragment and you already said parvenu once, using it a second time shows a lack of vocabulary and an excess dependence upon a thesaurus in the most junior high way. further, the 'nitpicking' and the lack of humor have nothing to do with with an american aversion (which is, according to you, also an obsession) 'against lies') summary 1. brits have style and elegance because they're the ******* best. 2. they also have a 'sense of humour' about clothes (which has become such an empty phrase for 'tastefully ironic') 3. the americans are jealous and subconsciously worship everything that the brits do while simultaneously mocking the elements of british society that are most compelling. this is mostly because americans are insecure, overcompensating, cultureless, xenophobic slobs. 4. americans drink and lie 5. americans are puritans (even though they drink and lie) 6. if you're insecure, you take that out on others 7. the british are ironic and elegant, the americans are not i guess that makes sense...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, so "alc" is shorthand for alcohol! And no one on the planet loves alcohol as much as we Americans? I should have thought the Russkies (and some other peoples) would have us beat hands-down in that regard!

P.S. On investigating the matter, I find that most nations of Europe are ahead of the U.S. in per capita alcohol consumption. The U.S. stood 43rd out of 179 nations listed, with a lot of Muslim countries being unsurprisingly at the bottom of the list.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows that us Koreans are the best at getting wasted. We're so good that the police don't even try and drag our blacked-out carcasses from off the arcade crane games we pass out on. We just dust ourselves off and go to work that morning.

Ok back to drawing. I'm trying to finish a picture of Connemara fighting a huge tentacle monster for the Japan edition.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
Everyone knows that us Koreans are the best at getting wasted. We're so good that the police don't even try and drag our blacked-out carcasses from off the arcade crane games we pass out on. We just dust ourselves off and go to work that morning.

I thought you guys just drank the pickling juice from the kimchee jars?

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
僕の書いたことでアメリカ人達がちょっとむっとしたみたいですね。笑

Amnesiac: thanks for your critique. It is partly justified, especially when concerning mistakes in my grammar (propositions!) but it is partly also uninformed or inapplicable in form and method to some quickly thrown down note on a forum, respectively too schoolmasterly and provincial in respect to poetical freedom, mannerisms, figures of speech, the general intention of my post (its telos) and the function of language as a means of communication. Furthermore, here and there, and quite embarrassingly so, gaps in your historical, philosophical and theological knowledge can be glanced through the cracks of your pedantry.*[To give only one small example: there is a difference between the common usage of the word puritan [as in: a person with overly strict morals], the influence of Puritan thought and the historical Puritans and their present representatives as a religious group]. I appreciate it, mind you, but I'm just unwilling to address every point right now because it would bore me too much. But maybe when having some more time or when being in some strange mood I'll come back to it.

p.s. (edit II) also you obviously haven't learned to generalize, then draw the insights from those generalizations without setting them as absolutes and then comparing, using and merging those theories with empirical data you have gained in your life. But don't worry- most persons (I'd say about 98%+) never learn this or even think about such basic problems of scientific and cognitive logic in their whole lives.

* to critique your way of analysis, and exemplify its shortcomings, we could for example look at my metaphors of gap and cracks above: while a provincial highschool teacher would maybe critisize them for being 'hard to imagine/picture' (gaps behind cracks) and thereby would want to flaunt his knowledge of 'what a metaphor is' that he had obendiently memorized, a true literate, a poet an artist would appreciate the interesting chiastic parallelism and its tongue-in-cheek allusions to the hollowness of someones head or (edit: this is also cool!) the sense of a limitless fall into emptiness that it could convey. (By artist I mean someone who is closing the gap between our (human) existence and the requirements of an idealized and completely realized life that we ought to be aiming at if we recognized the implications and the status of Universe (Cosm) at this very moment in history; a person of the format of a Fujiwara no Sadaie [i.e. Teika], myself or Zen master Ikkyu Sojun for whom I have great respect and who I also consider as one of my teachers (read his bio. on wiki, you culturless up-starts [not to use parvenu]!
wink.gif
).

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
and even that makes us red
ffffuuuu.gif
or at least half of us.

Originally Posted by Alias
Yeah, I'm half Japanese so I only turn half-red.

Wait...so half of you turn red, or half of you turn half red? Or do half turn red and half half red? Or would it be half of half who turn red, the other half's half turning half red? Oh, now I'm confused.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
自慢するな。

氏Robotoありがとうございます

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
僕の書いたことでアメリカ人達がちょっとむっとしたみたいですね。笑 Amnesiac: thanks for your critique. It is partly justified, especially when concerning mistakes in my grammar (propositions!) but it is partly also uninformed or inapplicable in form and method to some quickly thrown down note on a forum, respectively too schoolmasterly and provincial in respect to poetical freedom, mannerisms, figures of speech, the general intention of my post (its telos) and the function of language as a means of communication. Furthermore, here and there, and quite embarrassingly so, gaps in your historical, philosophical and theological knowledge can be glanced through the cracks of your pedantry.*[To give only one small example: there is a difference between the common usage of the word puritan [as in: a person with overly strict morals], the influence of Puritan thought and the historical Puritans and their present representatives as a religious group]. I appreciate it, mind you, but I'm just unwilling to address every point right now because it would bore me too much. But maybe when having some more time or when being in some strange mood I'll come back to it. p.s. (edit II) also you obviously haven't learned to generalize, then draw the insights from those generalizations without setting them as absolutes and then comparing, using and merging those theories with empirical data you have gained in your life. But don't worry- most persons (I'd say about 98%+) never learn this or even think about such basic problems of scientific and cognitive logic in their whole lives. * to critique your way of analysis, and exemplify its shortcomings, we could for example look at my metaphors of gap and cracks above: while a provincial highschool teacher would maybe critisize them for being 'hard to imagine/picture' (gaps behind cracks) and thereby would want to flaunt his knowledge of 'what a metaphor is' that he had obendiently memorized, a true literate, a poet an artist would appreciate the interesting chiastic parallelism and its tongue-in-cheek allusions to the hollowness of someones head or (edit: this is also cool!) the sense of a limitless fall into emptiness that it could convey. (By artist I mean someone who is closing the gap between our (human) existence and the requirements of an idealized and completely realized life that we ought to be aiming at if we recognized the implications and the status of Universe (Cosm) at this very moment in history; a person of the format of a Fujiwara no Sadaie [i.e. Teika], myself or Zen master Ikkyu Sojun for whom I have great respect and who I also consider as one of my teachers (read his bio. on wiki, you culturless up-starts [not to use parvenu]!
wink.gif
).

Well that is the frustrating thing about your post, and your writing in general in this thread. It isn't that it is unintelligent, but rather unintelligible, or at least convoluted to the point of requiring great lengths of interpretation. I perfectly understand the telos of your original post, and yet the unsubstantiated, sweeping last paragraph in particular I found to be in need of pedantic italicized fripperies, most likely because I was going crazy at the end of a paper analysing two different drafts of Hamlet. With regards to 'Puritan (Protestant),' this still refers to far too much to make sense. I'm well aware of the differences between the common, the historical, in both the cultural and political sense, the literary, intellectual historical,and the theological influences of protestantism in this country, and they are all interestingly argued but you made no indication of what you meant apart from evoking a word and a loose idea of a religious group influential to a country's development. I perfectly agree with you on the poetic, artistic, possibilities of language, and I would like to know what you think about James Joyce's Finnegans Wake. I had no real problem with your original post, nor do I disagree with it, apart from your unwillingness to further explain yourself and my frustration at not having a more substantive argument to converse with. That is all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads