• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why a bow tie's not just for schmucks

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
Having checked family photos my granddad's on my father's side never wore bowties sticking with conventional neckwear, so there.

And mine did, so there.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I wear a bowtie about 25% of the time and will probably do it more often. I don't think it looks dorky or affected. I really just don't like having to mess with my ties. 4 in hand ties just kind of shift around in your jacket, or pop out over your jacket when you pick stuff up, or fall into your food. It's also an easy thing for somebody to grab, and it happens to be wrapped around your throat.

Weren't 4 in hand ties a European adaptation of Middle Eastern cloths that were wrapped with an end dangling to wipe sweat?

Morgan

Reaction score
After self-medicating with cannabis every evening this week, I decided to wear my new j.press bow tie to work today. Coincidence? Maybe, but then again, maybe not.

bow.jpg

vida

Reaction score
Take a look at Tom Ford's bow ties on his website. I think they look quite rakish if done properly. Daily use, probably not. To change things up, sure!

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, I was on the trading floor of an investment bank and one of the marketers walked by wearing a white OCBD and a bow tie. One of the traders sneered, "He looks like he should be selling ice cream."

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
After self-medicating with cannabis every evening this week, I decided to wear my new j.press bow tie to work today. Coincidence? Maybe, but then again, maybe not.

Madras? I like very much
thumbs-up.gif

East Oakland

Reaction score
I have never seen a person wear a bow tie in a professional setting IRL.

Keep in mind I work in the legal industry (in M&A) and I live in a city were most professionals don't wear ties at all (San Francisco). I suspect the bow tie would work in other part of the country (the deep south) and the world (the UK).

If you wear one on the west coast, though, keep in mind that people will remember you as the dork with the bow tie.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
Many years ago, I was on the trading floor of an investment bank and one of the marketers walked by wearing a white OCBD and a bow tie. One of the traders sneered, "He looks like he should be selling ice cream."

What flavors?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan

bow.jpg

Change drugs...

matt22616

Reaction score
They are fairly common in the Southeast up to D.C. Like every thing sartorial, if you have confidence no one will think you look like a 'dork'. They will think you eat cocaine off America's gravestone. Chances are, if you start a thread on the internet asking if you should wear one, you shouldn't.

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
It's very difficult to pull of a bow tie for most people. IMHO, most people look better with a tie.

I remember reading somewhere that, for many common folk, a bow tie (outside of formal wear) reminds them of a lawyer or politician....two types of people that most people just don't trust.

My wife bought me a nice blue and white rep style RLBL bowtie, and I just can't pull it off.
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads