• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WholePaycheck chain won't be carrying Jamón Serrano

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
not to belabor (or to overly defend), but the assumption is that if you're buying mushrooms from an established store, there is a verification trail. at the farmers market, it could be just some guy who found something interesting growing in his backyard. that's not to say the big sellers were like that, but, sadly, rules are written with the worst-case scenario in mind.
isn't the worst case scenario that people are given the rule-writing jobs without having to know that "wild mushrooms" are actually wild?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
I would suggest this person was actually not following anything other than their own intution, which was wrong.
I think anyone who has ever managed a group is familiar with the "good soldier" syndrome: someone at the top says "i wonder if sometimes we're doing too much of that" and by the time it filters down through three layers to the people who are actually doing the tasks, it has become "we will never do this again, ever, on penalty of firing." jawohl.

Originally Posted by mharwitt
isn't the worst case scenario that people are given the rule-writing jobs without having to know that "wild mushrooms" are actually wild?

possibly, though that opens another can of worms that would be requiring that every dish purported to contain "wild mushrooms" actually contain foraged funghi. personally, i'd be in favor of it, but you can imagine the howls.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
OK, here is an example. I was talking to a guy who raises what are known to be the very best rabbits for human consumption in the US. Whole Foods approached him looking to buy some rabbits, but they explained that, since he kept his rabbits penned, they would not pass muster at Whole Foods. They needed to be free range. He explained to them that you really cannot raise free range rabbits, so they said they were not interested. Case by case would determine that one would select rabbits which were treated as well as rabbits could be treated, and not that rabbits should not be sold because they actually cannot be raised the Whole Foods way.

If a store's 'thing' is free range, then it makes sense for them to pass on selling meats that can't be produced in a manner that suits them.

Weird policy, however, since I know that my local Whole Foods only stock a bit of grassfed beef and some pasture-raised eggs - all the actual chicken/lamb/bison/etc and half the beef is (so far as I can tell) industrially-farmed (though organic/no GH).

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
possibly, though that opens another can of worms that would be requiring that every dish purported to contain "wild mushrooms" actually contain foraged funghi. personally, i'd be in favor of it, but you can imagine the howls.
why would it require that? i think the ombudsman should be able to tell the difference between the wild mushrooms sold by circuit pickers and the Wild Mushrooms sold by restaurants.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why would it require that? i think the ombudsman should be able to tell the difference between the wild mushrooms sold by circuit pickers and the Wild Mushrooms sold by restaurants.

it seems to me that you can't have it both ways ... you can't criticize them for not knowing that "wild mushroom" means "wild mushroom" and then say "except when restaurants and markets decide to lie about it to make a dish sound sexier." that's all i'm saying. it's either wild, or it's not.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
it seems to me that you can't have it both ways ... you can't criticize them for not knowing that "wild mushroom" means "wild mushroom" and then say "except when restaurants and markets decide to lie about it to make a dish sound sexier." that's all i'm saying. it's either wild, or it's not.
i guess i just don't see markets and restaurants as requiring the same type of regulation. with one it's maybe a matter of health, with the other it's advertising exaggeration. if you get a crimini in your Wild Mushroom side just laugh it off (or in your case write about it) the way you would a sports drink advertising something like "low sodium! electrolytes!" (i actually saw this a couple years ago)

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who haven't tried it, Jamón Serrano is darker, far less salty and boasts a hard-to-miss nutty flavor.
There's no confusing it with traditional prischute Â
00ae.png
My local seller has Prosciutto di Parma, Prosciutto di San Daniele, Prosciutto di San Daniele Black Label and Jamón Serrano all going for $14.99/lb
Literally within a mile from him, a WholePaycheck store already charges $22.99lb for Prosciutto di Parma and $24.99 for Prosciutto di San Daniele.
Certain varieties of La Quercia made-in-Iowa Italian dried cured meats command as high as $26/lb.
WTF is wrong with these people ? I wouldn't have objected had the taste been off-the-dial. It ain't.
+1 on prischute Â
00ae.png
sold @ Trader Joe's. Generally I'm not a fan of their habit of nickel-and-diming suppliers, but the stuff is unexpectedly decent. As is prischute Â
00ae.png
by Volpi.
American-made prischute Â
00ae.png
tends to be an atrocity, the reason I mention.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
For those who haven't tried it, Jamón Serrano is darker, far less salty and boasts a hard-to-miss nutty flavor.
There's no confusing it with traditional prischute Â
00ae.png
My local seller has Prosciutto di Parma, Prosciutto di San Daniele, Prosciutto di San Daniele Black Label and Jamón Serrano all going for $14.99/lb
Literally within a mile from him, a WholePaycheck store already charges $22.99lb for Prosciutto di Parma and $24.99 for Prosciutto di San Daniele.
Certain varieties of La Quercia made-in-Iowa Italian dried cured meats command as high as $26/lb.
WTF is wrong with these people ? I wouldn't have objected had the taste been off-the-dial. It ain't.
+1 on prischute Â
00ae.png
sold @ Trader Joe's. Generally I'm not a fan of their habit of nickel-and-diming suppliers, but the stuff is unexpectedly decent. As is prischute Â
00ae.png
by Volpi.
American-made prischute Â
00ae.png
tends to be an atrocity, the reason I mention.

what the hell is wrong with your post? my eyes refuse to separate everything into words and sentences.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
↑↑

New to the Internets Â
00a9.png
?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate how some of the laws with cured meats work. You cannot get good biltong or droewors on this continent... in fact I don't even think you're allowed to manufacture the latter here. All the versions of either I've tried that were made here really suck.

Just like most cheeses here suck because they first assassinate the milk before making cheese with it.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
↑↑

When FDA inspectors laid their eyes on Spanish ham for the 1st time, they damn near went into cardiac arrest. The hoof was still attached to it
devil.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
↑↑

When FDA inspectors laid their eyes on Spanish ham for the 1st time, they damn near went into cardiac arrest. The hoof was still attached to it
devil.gif

Yeah I can just imagine... and they realize that people keep it on their counters...

But I bet they ate the whole ******* thing.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I hate how some of the laws with cured meats work. You cannot get good biltong or droewors on this continent... in fact I don't even think you're allowed to manufacture the latter here. All the versions of either I've tried that were made here really suck. Just like most cheeses here suck because they first assassinate the milk before making cheese with it.
good biltong is really easy to make. droewors i wouldnt risk. luckily there is a large SA population where i live - love the stuff.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
good biltong is really easy to make. droewors i wouldnt risk. luckily there is a large SA population where i live - love the stuff.
Really? I've never had good biltong in the US... including from NC where there are a ton of SA people. Are these friends or is it a business? I would LOVE to get some. I tried BiltongUSA but it was awful.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i haven't had biltong in SA, but there's a great SA-born butcher in la ... european specialty meats, i believe, and their biltong is delicious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads