• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who were some of your worst, rudest, and/or most ignorant customers?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon

since 90% of this is two assholes discussing the morals of customer service. Also Suit ive had almost identical experiences to your over and over again. luls

3.)
guy comes in looking for a suit.

him: "im looking for a suit"
me: "ok lets get you sized"

I proceed to size the guy and hes a 42L.

him: the jacket is to big in the chest.
me: you can have that taken in no problem and it will fit you perfect.
him: let me try on the 42R

he tries it on and the sleeves are far FAR to short.
Me: you need the 42L you will not be able to let out the sleeves enough on the 42R and the length is to short in the jacket.

it was at this point i realized he didn't know what he wanted and wasn't going to buy anything. So i let him be for a while. He then comes over to me and says

him: what size is on that display?
me: that is a 42S
him: can i try that on?

I looked at him in disbelief.
Me: no that jacket will not fit.
him: how do you know?
me: if the 42R is far to short the 42S most defiantly will not fit you.
him: but can i try it on?
me: You need the 42L

I walked away and shortly after he left. was he an idiot? maybe. But i certainly wasn't going to sell him a 42S suit. I mean he would have told people where he bought it. lul

The guy's a fucktard.

ShelterIslandMike

Reaction score
Let me ask you guys this, from a SA's perspective. I bought a v-neck sweater from a national men's store. I wore it four times, no big deal. I looked at it before putting it on a fifth time, and noticed the seam under the arm had about a three-inch split.

The next time I was in the store, I had the sweater, showed it to the SA and told her exactly what happened. I said, "I don't know your policy about something like this, where I've actually worn the sweater and more than once, but I don't figure your sweaters should come apart like this one did. Is this the kind of thing where I can exchange the sweater?"

She looked at me like I was an asshole or a criminal. I said, "Hey, forget I asked," and started to walk away. The manager, who I guess had been listening, came walking over and said, "Sure you can exchange that sweater. Go pick out one you want." I picked out the exact same sweater.

The reason I'm posting this is because, even though this happened a year ago, I still remember the look the SA gave me. It embarrassed me. I could have paid for another sweater, that wasn't the point. The point was that I honestly thought they sold better merchandise and would be just as surprised as I was that the sweater fell apart. And if they did not feel that way, she should have said so, rather than look at me like I was the scum of the earth.

I still buy from the store (because I like the clothes), but I think of that look every time I go there. Maybe I'm just nuts.

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
Don't listen to the haters SuitMyself. These stories are surprisingly entertaining. The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Exactly -- that's why there is resistance to his stories on this thread. People who deep down believe they are stupid can't stand to hear stupidity exposed (i.e. ridiculed by definition) as it reminds them of their own failings. So they are trying to insult him and morally manipulate the conversation in order to silence him, and all reminders of their own failings.

Please spare us the housewife moralizing: Exposing stupidity is good for society since helps us move beyond the stupidity, and discourages others from wear suits 10 sizes too large, which means we don't have to look at these ill dressed people either. They have the right to dress in absurdly incorrect sizes, and to resist all reason against it, but we in turn have the right to expose their decision and laugh at it if we please.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShelterIslandMike
Let me ask you guys this, from a SA's perspective. I bought a v-neck sweater from a national men's store. I wore it four times, no big deal. I looked at it before putting it on a fifth time, and noticed the seam under the arm had about a three-inch split.

The next time I was in the store, I had the sweater, showed it to the SA and told her exactly what happened. I said, "I don't know your policy about something like this, where I've actually worn the sweater and more than once, but I don't figure your sweaters should come apart like this one did. Is this the kind of thing where I can exchange the sweater?"

She looked at me like I was an asshole or a criminal. I said, "Hey, forget I asked," and started to walk away. The manager, who I guess had been listening, came walking over and said, "Sure you can exchange that sweater. Go pick out one you want." I picked out the exact same sweater.

The reason I'm posting this is because, even though this happened a year ago, I still remember the look the SA gave me. It embarrassed me. I could have paid for another sweater, that wasn't the point. The point was that I honestly thought they sold better merchandise and would be just as surprised as I was that the sweater fell apart. And if they did not feel that way, she should have said so, rather than look at me like I was the scum of the earth.

I still buy from the store (because I like the clothes), but I think of that look every time I go there. Maybe I'm just nuts.

Defects happen. Assuming you didn't bring it with huge rips/tears or look as though you were fighting bulls, I can't think of why it would be an issue. I've bought some less-than-stellar ties, shirts, etc from places that have exchanged them because of defects.

Originally Posted by sassyfras
Exactly -- that's why there is resistance to his stories on this thread. People who deep down believe they are stupid can't stand to hear stupidity exposed (i.e. ridiculed by definition) as it reminds them of their own failings. So they are trying to insult him and morally manipulate the conversation in order to silence him, and all reminders of their own failings.

Please spare us the housewife moralizing: Exposing stupidity is good for society since helps us move beyond the stupidity, and discourages others from wear suits 10 sizes too large, which means we don't have to look at these ill dressed people either. They have the right to dress in absurdly incorrect sizes, and to resist all reason against it, but we in turn have the right to expose their decision and laugh at it if we please.

You sound like a liberal arts major trying to justify being a douche. Congrats, you're failing.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you did seems perfectly fine to me, you were being honest and you expected the sweater to hold up better than it did. The SA at the store was obviously just a rude *****.

-LR

Originally Posted by ShelterIslandMike

brandom

Reaction score

I have a different experience than you. In my experience, most of the people complaining loudest about "stupid people" are usually pretty stupid themselves. Or maybe, narrow-minded is a better word. They see the world in a particular way, and dismiss anything that doesn't fit in there as being 'idiotic', when in reality it's just their own ignorance and lack of understanding/empathy showing through.

For example, playing devil's advocate, what if the "Italish suit" guy, who was obviously practicing English as a 2nd language, left because of the lack of response from the SA? This is entirely plausible, given that:

1. He was probably aware that his English wasn't very good, and thus not sure that the SA even understood him. It also explains him making the mistake of 'tuxedo' vs 'suit'.

2. That different cultures (and even regions) expect answers in different periods of times than others. He could have been pausing for what seemed like an eternity to him, and yet only seeing the smug/confused look on the SAs face.

So he repeats himself a few times, then gives up and leaves because he assumes the SA cannot understand him, or even worse that the SA doesn't want to service him because of some class/ethnicity superiority. So which person was the "stupid idiot" there? The SA, whose job it is to understand the customer and try to meet their needs (assuming they aren't outlandish) yet just stared at the guy until he walked off? Or the customer that made an attempt to show the SA exactly what style he wanted and to tell him what purpose it would serve? My vote is for the former on that one, although again, I'm playing devil's advocate and wasn't there to judge the situation.

And all that said, this is a very entertaining thread...so please keep the stories coming.

TurboBruce

Reaction score
People who deep down believe they are stupid

Are you speaking from experience?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Background: The store was running an annual summer-time sale. Every product is on sale, UP TO 50% off.

Customer walks into the store with a BIG silly smile on his face. He blows right through the aisles and stops right in front of me. He grabs a box of multi-vitamins:

Him: (holding the box) Is THIS 50% off?
Me: No, it's not 50% off. It's (whatever the sale price was)
Him: (still smiling) Ooooh. OK. (Walks over to sexual health products). Which one is 50% off?
Me: (walks over to him) None of those are 50% off either. They're on sale, but not half off.
Him: (no longer smiling) Well, what's 50%? That's what the sign says.
Me: We've got quite a few things on sale. Some of them are 50% off. The sign says UP TO 50%. So, it could be 10%, 30%, etc.
Him: Ooooh. OK. Let me look.

I walk away. Eventually, he comes to the counter with a large bottle of multi-vitamins and a small bottle of the same product. I ring them up, and I read him the total.

Him: Wait a minute.....I thought this one was free (pointing to the smaller bottle)
Me: (confused) What do you mean?
Him: It says that I get this free.

(I walk over to where he picked up the bottle, and I pull off the sale tag. There's a problem. It says, "Buy 1, Get 1 Free," BUT the start & end dates for the sale aren't until two weeks later. The employee who put up the sales tags the night before hadn't been very observant)

Me: I see what the problem is. This sale doesn't begin until (whatever the date was).
Him: What? Well, it's up, you should just give it to me free
Me: Believe me, I'd love to, but if I did, I'd be out of a job.
Him: How will they know? I'm not going to tell them
Me: (Making a friendly joke & smiling) Well, if you can find another job for me, with the exact same pay and same benefits, I'll consider it
Him: (I) Don't think you'd be qualified
Me: (smiling, holding my tongue) The total is......
Him: (Agitated) Well, why's the sign up if it's not on sale? That doesn't make sense.
Me: (Agitated as well) When the signs were being put up, the employee must not have noticed that the date on this one (holding up the BOGO free sign) hadn't started.
Him: (After a pause) .....You know that's false advertisement, right?
Me: No. It's not false advertisement. The "from, to" dates on the price tag are clearly in the future
Him: I know, but it's up. That's false advertisement
Me: (not interested in debating with him) The total is (fill in the blank). I can't give it to you for free.
Him: (Engaging me in a game of "chicken") Well, I'll just come back and buy it in a few weeks
Me: Fine. (smiling) I'll see you then (pulls the bag of products away from his side of the counter)
Him: .....No....I wouldn't do that. I should call in and complain about this.
Me: Feel free. There's a customer service number on the back of the box.
Him: OK...(writing the number down)....and, what's your name?
Me: I'm sorry, but that's private information
Him: You work here, what's your name?
Me: I'm sorry, but that's private information (I flip my name badge backwards)
Him: (walks away) OK, I'm going to call right now then
Me: I'll bet

The number on the back of the box was for a product satisfaction survey. If he hadn't been an @ss, I probably would have given the product to him.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Man walks into the store and huddles in the corner near the men's multi-vitamins. I can tell what he wants from the way that he looks down at his feet when female customers are in the area. I walk over to him, introduce myself and attempt to assist him:

Me: What brings you in today? (as if I don't know)
Him: (almost whispering the entire time) I need the hard pills (LOL!)
Me: (Puzzled expression)
Him: Those pills that put you on hard, you know.
Me: (holding back a laugh) You mean, sexual enhancement products?
Him: Yeah, yeah, that's it.
Me: (leading him to the correct section) Those will be right over here
Him: Hold on....Gotta let it clear out over there first (there's a group of people in the area)
Him: (the other customers walk away) OK. Let's see

I show him a variety of different products, and explain the different purposes and uses. One sparks his interest.

Him: This sounds like it will work! (he keeps grabbing his crotch, like he can't wait to use the pills)
Me: (attempting to speed up the transaction) It sounds like what you want. Let me ring it up for you.
Him: OK....Hold on (walks over to me).....You don't have to stop doing anything while you're using these do you?
Me: What do you mean?
Him: You know...You don't have to stop doing anything do you?
Me: Oh. No, you can still exercise and take other supplements along with this.
Him: No....I mean.....You don't have to....stop jagging off when you use this do you?
Me: (laughing, I walk away)

That's a 100% true story

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
A different day, a different customer (older man, probably late 40s):

Him: I'm looking for something to help me out down there
Me: You mean sexual enhancement products?
Him: Yeah. Where are those at?

I lead him to the correct section and show him the products. I answer his questions as best as I can without laughing. He notices Enzyte.

Him: Ooooh. I know that one.
Me: The Enzyte?
Him: Yeah, the Enzyte. That stuff seems like it works. I've got a few buddies that swear by that. They be going into the bathroom with rulers and s***
Me: I've heard good reviews
Him: Oh yeah? That's the one with the commercial that goes like (hums the theme in this commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR5fY...eature=related ).
Me: (laughing)
Him: (continuing) ....where the wife has this big smile on her face (makes a big smile)....but I don't have a wife. I don't even have a girlfriend. I'm buying it for myself. I just wanna be able to feel it

Again, true story.

mondayc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
Every product is on sale, UP TO 50% off.
Oh man. I wish ads would just change to "****'s on sale." I had one guy come up to the register (probably a couple of months ago, but I still remember the gist of the dialogue). "Your total is..." Him: Wait a second. That shirt wasn't 50% off. I go to check and make sure the sign is accurate. It is not 50% off. Him: And these pants should be 50% off as well. I go to check that sign as well. It is not 50% off. Finally, he pulls out the sales flyer. Him: "It says right on the cover; "Thousands of items 50% off." Now you're telling me that nothing is 50% off?" Me: "Not in your cart, anyways." I point to a couple signs that are 50 or 60% off. "This is a big department store with far over thousands of items. Just last night I put away 1,200 towels." Him: *still not happy* "Well that's false advertising. Not only do I want everything 50% off, but I think I deserve something for this hassle. How about 50% off the sale price?" Me: "I wouldn't call it false advertising. There ARE thousands of items 50% off, but nothing you purchased had a 50% off sign. All of the prices are clearly marked on the tables and four-ways." Him: Bullshit. I want to talk to your manager. BTW, if anyone thinks SuitMyself is a huge douchebag to customers trying to rip the company, you should see my boss dealing with those customers. To summarize what she said "We put out sale toppers so people can see the prices they are going to pay. You should always trust a sign that mentions a specific product over an advertisement that doesn't make any mention of a specific product. If you really thought you would get an extra 50% for being a moron and ignoring the bold-printed "25% OFF" sign directly above the product, I really hope you realize what a stupid and irrational argument you have wasted my time with."

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brandom

I have a different experience than you. In my experience, most of the people complaining loudest about "stupid people" are usually pretty stupid themselves. Or maybe, narrow-minded is a better word. They see the world in a particular way, and dismiss anything that doesn't fit in there as being 'idiotic', when in reality it's just their own ignorance and lack of understanding/empathy showing through.

For example, playing devil's advocate, what if the "Italish suit" guy, who was obviously practicing English as a 2nd language, left because of the lack of response from the SA? This is entirely plausible, given that:

1. He was probably aware that his English wasn't very good, and thus not sure that the SA even understood him. It also explains him making the mistake of 'tuxedo' vs 'suit'.

2. That different cultures (and even regions) expect answers in different periods of times than others. He could have been pausing for what seemed like an eternity to him, and yet only seeing the smug/confused look on the SAs face.

So he repeats himself a few times, then gives up and leaves because he assumes the SA cannot understand him, or even worse that the SA doesn't want to service him because of some class/ethnicity superiority. So which person was the "stupid idiot" there? The SA, whose job it is to understand the customer and try to meet their needs (assuming they aren't outlandish) yet just stared at the guy until he walked off? Or the customer that made an attempt to show the SA exactly what style he wanted and to tell him what purpose it would serve? My vote is for the former on that one, although again, I'm playing devil's advocate and wasn't there to judge the situation.

And all that said, this is a very entertaining thread...so please keep the stories coming.

Mr. Italish Tuxedo was a young white guy in his early 20s who spoke perfect English and he was dressed in baggy "carpenter-style" jeans worn almost to the knees with his boxer shorts showing, a t-shirt (can't remember the colour), a light-coloured hoodie, tan suede workboots (the style that is popular with wiggers) and a baseball cap worn backwords.

Any other questions?

A-Mart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
Background: The store was running an annual summer-time sale. Every product is on sale, UP TO 50% off.

Customer walks into the store with a BIG silly smile on his face. He blows right through the aisles and stops right in front of me. He grabs a box of multi-vitamins:

Him: (holding the box) Is THIS 50% off?
Me: No, it's not 50% off. It's (whatever the sale price was)
Him: (still smiling) Ooooh. OK. (Walks over to sexual health products). Which one is 50% off?
Me: (walks over to him) None of those are 50% off either. They're on sale, but not half off.
Him: (no longer smiling) Well, what's 50%? That's what the sign says.
Me: We've got quite a few things on sale. Some of them are 50% off. The sign says UP TO 50%. So, it could be 10%, 30%, etc.
Him: Ooooh. OK. Let me look.

I walk away. Eventually, he comes to the counter with a large bottle of multi-vitamins and a small bottle of the same product. I ring them up, and I read him the total.

Him: Wait a minute.....I thought this one was free (pointing to the smaller bottle)
Me: (confused) What do you mean?
Him: It says that I get this free.

(I walk over to where he picked up the bottle, and I pull off the sale tag. There's a problem. It says, "Buy 1, Get 1 Free," BUT the start & end dates for the sale aren't until two weeks later. The employee who put up the sales tags the night before hadn't been very observant)

Me: I see what the problem is. This sale doesn't begin until (whatever the date was).
Him: What? Well, it's up, you should just give it to me free
Me: Believe me, I'd love to, but if I did, I'd be out of a job.
Him: How will they know? I'm not going to tell them
Me: (Making a friendly joke & smiling) Well, if you can find another job for me, with the exact same pay and same benefits, I'll consider it
Him: (I) Don't think you'd be qualified
Me: (smiling, holding my tongue) The total is......
Him: (Agitated) Well, why's the sign up if it's not on sale? That doesn't make sense.
Me: (Agitated as well) When the signs were being put up, the employee must not have noticed that the date on this one (holding up the BOGO free sign) hadn't started.
Him: (After a pause) .....You know that's false advertisement, right?
Me: No. It's not false advertisement. The "from, to" dates on the price tag are clearly in the future
Him: I know, but it's up. That's false advertisement
Me: (not interested in debating with him) The total is (fill in the blank). I can't give it to you for free.
Him: (Engaging me in a game of "chicken") Well, I'll just come back and buy it in a few weeks
Me: Fine. (smiling) I'll see you then (pulls the bag of products away from his side of the counter)
Him: .....No....I wouldn't do that. I should call in and complain about this.
Me: Feel free. There's a customer service number on the back of the box.
Him: OK...(writing the number down)....and, what's your name?
Me: I'm sorry, but that's private information
Him: You work here, what's your name?
Me: I'm sorry, but that's private information (I flip my name badge backwards)
Him: (walks away) OK, I'm going to call right now then
Me: I'll bet

The number on the back of the box was for a product satisfaction survey. If he hadn't been an @ss, I probably would have given the product to him.

Why wouldn't you just give him your name if you did nothing wrong? And he's actually right. If the for sale signs are up, you have to honor the sale. for instance, if a $100 pair of jeans is on a rack that has a 'all items $19.99' sign on it, but the jeans still contain a $100 price tag, the store must honor the price advertised on top of the rack.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A-Mart
Why wouldn't you just give him your name if you did nothing wrong? And he's actually right. If the for sale signs are up, you have to honor the sale. for instance, if a $100 pair of jeans is on a rack that has a 'all items $19.99' sign on it, but the jeans still contain a $100 price tag, the store must honor the price advertised on top of the rack.

Kingoftheforum says the signage listed which DATES the sale is good for.

brandom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Mr. Italish Tuxedo was a young white guy in his early 20s who spoke perfect English and he was dressed in baggy "carpenter-style" jeans worn almost to the knees with his boxer shorts showing, a t-shirt (can't remember the colour), a light-coloured hoodie, tan suede workboots (the style that is popular with wiggers) and a baseball cap worn backwords.

Any other questions?

Yes. If you're a salesman, why didn't you try to sell anything to him? This kid had a job and knew what he wanted, but was obviously ignorant of the basics. Why wouldn't you spend a few moments trying to educate him some, and maybe getting a sale out of it?

And if he was obviously far out of the price range of your store, what would be the harm in giving him 5 minutes of a basic lesson on what to ask for and pointing him to a cheaper place that would be more in line with his budget? This would be a classy move on your part, and maybe start a kid down a path towards not wearing the crap clothes he has on now.

Like I said, though...these are entertaining, so please keep them coming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads