• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who uses Cigarette Lighters?

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smithsj
Funny you mention that b/c I was entering this thread for that very reason. You don't have any suggestions as to where I could find a nice cigarette case do you?

It's a pain in the butt to cram a whole pack of cigarettes into your pocket when you go out to a bar, Not to mention they always get bent. It would be nice to have something slim and that will keep them from bending/breaking.

I think most of the really nice cases are vintage. The problem is, if you smoke filter tips, most are too long to fit in the older cases.

I found one that is nice for the price - about $25.00 - at a store in Santa Barbara that has a web site and sells travel accessories. As I recall, they sell it as a business card holder. Sorry I don't remember the name of the place.

If you do a web search, you might want to search for the phrase 'made from original German dies' .

Good luck, Jim.

trajan

Reaction score
We're all adults here (almost). I find it hard to believe that you guys have trouble holding to lighter. What about keys, wallet, cell phone, money clip, IDs, etc? Do you constantly lose those?

--trajan

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by padronlover
any experienced smoker would know, lighters are the easiest thing in the world to lose.

I have never lost a nice lighter. Just like nice pens I keep track of them. It is the cheap throwaway types that seem to get lost.

trajan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
Disagree. Lighter fluid affects taste, butane does not.

If you're really serious, you light your cigar with a cedar strip that was in turn lit by a cedar match. That way you avoid the sulfur from the match.
teacha.gif

Good tip. Where do you find these matches?

--trajan

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I carry a zippo for the occasional cigar
crazy.gif
gasoline & tobacco, what a mix. To avoid any side effect on cigar taste people use to light a strip of the cigar sheet that comes with cigars and use it to light cigar and you use a Zippo ... oops, didn't notice others mentioned the cedar strip
frown.gif

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just anal retentive or something but in the decade and a half I've been smoking, I've get to lose a single lighter be it a bic, zippo, or random butane lighter that I pick up on a whim.

As an example of my lighter ocd, I was having a drink with a faculty member who was drunk off his ass and he asked to borrow my lighter. Neglecting to return it to me, I obsessed over its whereabouts for the next few days retracing all my steps until I realized that this professor forgot to return the lighter to me. I tracked him down to the medical clinic he worked at and got my 99cent bic back a week later.

These days I like to carry the mini bics because of their invisible profile in the pocket (I carry it with a small aluminum cigarette case that I got in japan that only holds 4 cigs... it limits my daily intake to 4). I'm on my 4th mini-bic now in 3 years (using up the entire butane in each one).

- Always having a lighter on hand sure beats needing a smoke and not having a light. In this nicotine deprived state, deciding that the astute (and rather innvovative in a MacGuyver'ish way) thing to do is to take a kimwipe (laboratory kleenex), soaking it in 100% gold shield alcohol, and taking a bunsen burner flint sparker outside to ignite the alcohol soaked tissue. This resulted in a giant fireball that singed one's eyebrows and melted the bottom of one's sneakers trying to stamp out the pure-EtOH fireball. At least the cigarette was lit by the embers that were still glowing on the bottom of the shoe. Huzzah! Success!

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trajan
We're all adults here (almost). I find it hard to believe that you guys have trouble holding to lighter. What about keys, wallet, cell phone, money clip, IDs, etc? Do you constantly lose those?

--trajan

it's much harder to hold on to a lighter when you are drunk.

BBRex

Reaction score
People rarely ask me to borrow these items, but a lighter ...

TheGreek

Reaction score
There are three things in life you never let anyone borrow:
1.your woman'
2.your car
3.your lighter

I never let anyone borrow my zippo, I always light there cigarette for them.Its a classy genture and it keeps an eye on an item that has a way of disapearing.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
Because many smokers tend to loose or forget around their lighter, so they go for crappy plastic.

I don't see how this would be any more common than losing a cell phone, which is uncommon even with the most forgetful of people.

padronlover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trajan

--trajan

very naive to think that...you must've just started smoking.

i like zippos but i can't stand the pungent lighter fuel smell. i think butane is an absolute necessity for cigar smoking.

but where are the big ballers in this thread? i thought we'd have a vast array of pics captured with digital slr complete with EWGesque descriptions by now.
Accessory - S.T. Dupont Line 1 Limited Edition Numbered 24 out of 150 Versailles Designed in Coordination w/ King Louis XVI's Master Gardner's Great Great Grand Nephew Lighter (Pre-1942 Buyout before the quality started to diminish)

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few Dupont lighters, and I only use one of them regularly, which is sad.

My first dupont was a Chinese Lacquer and Palladium Gatsby. If anybody is interested, I am looking to move this lighter. Ill let it got for well below the 1000 MSRP. Send me a PM
smile.gif

52ae_1.JPG

Next came one of my favorites, a Ligne 2 Versailles Limited Edition lighter.
a-zlighters_2006_295818068

Then my most recent purchase was the Ligne 2 Fifth Avenue Limited Edition Lighter
a-zlighters_2002_39887458

All of these lighters I got a pretty good deal on because I know a guy who is an authorized Dupont Dealer, so he gives me pretty close to wholesale. The sad thing is these lighters are just not practical for the cigar smoker on the go. It is very tough to properly toast a cigar in the city with the wind and such. I just really rarely use these beauties. They are usually reserved for when I go to a smoking lounge or when I am lounging around the apartment.

The lighter I use most is this one:
a-zlighters_2006_296879406

The most reliable lighter I have ever used. It lights EVERY single time and has been flawless.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I carry a zippo for the occasional cigar
Globe, Z Plus makes a butane insert for Zippos. Costs $10 and worked better than any of the torches I have for my cigar habit (it was occasional, but is creeping up to 3+ a week).

padronlover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've heard only nice things about the dupont x-tend and its price point isn't too bad.

but those line 2 lighters are just oh my god
bounce2.gif

Originally Posted by fcuknu
I have a few Dupont lighters, and I only use one of them regularly, which is sad.

My first dupont was a Chinese Lacquer and Palladium Gatsby. If anybody is interested, I am looking to move this lighter. Ill let it got for well below the 1000 MSRP. Send me a PM
smile.gif

52ae_1.JPG

Next came one of my favorites, a Ligne 2 Versailles Limited Edition lighter.
a-zlighters_2006_295818068

Then my most recent purchase was the Ligne 2 Fifth Avenue Limited Edition Lighter
a-zlighters_2002_39887458

All of these lighters I got a pretty good deal on because I know a guy who is an authorized Dupont Dealer, so he gives me pretty close to wholesale. The sad thing is these lighters are just not practical for the cigar smoker on the go. It is very tough to properly toast a cigar in the city with the wind and such. I just really rarely use these beauties. They are usually reserved for when I go to a smoking lounge or when I am lounging around the apartment.

The lighter I use most is this one:
a-zlighters_2006_296879406

The most reliable lighter I have ever used. It lights EVERY single time and has been flawless.

ucla559

Reaction score
I own a simple Dupont Ligne 2 and an x-tend lighter and they are very nice for the occasional cigar at home or once in a while on the go for a nice event. In terms of carrying them around for everyday smoking use, I fear of losing them, dropping them, or just scratching them up in my pocket with my keys or cell phone (plus the ligne 2 is a heavy lighter to keep in your pocket at all times). I might consider getting a nice used dunhill or dupont beater at some point though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads