• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best dress socks?

Kaga

Reaction score
And in something sportier, Turnbull  & Asser have a lovely line of heavy wool and heavy cashmere in all sorts of bright colors.  The wool ($30) is a lot of fun if you wash it separately--- bleeding is very much an option.  Still trying to justify the purchase of cashmere ($150).
(IMMSMC) Those are made by Pantherella (as for almost all other Jermyn Street makers except Pink and maybe New and Lingwood). With a slight markup. The color selection is very good, though -- you usually don't see so many varieties of Pantherella color.

Don't pay $150 for cashmere socks. They wear out quickly. Try the ones at Sierra Trading Post if you must have them (35 dollars). Or buy some on ebay from a reputable maker (Polo, Purple Label, etc.). If you must have Pantherella cashmere socks try calling H. Herzfeld in New York as they carry or can order cashmere Pantherellas in different sizes.

I personally really like Pantherella, which makes socks from silky cotton ribbed thin socks to an incredibly thick and warm tweed, with cashmeres in from a smidgen for softness (as the ones on ebay are) to decadent, hugely expensive 100% cashmere, sea island cotton, superfine merino wools, silk business socks and silk formal dress socks...

Arnys, Charvet and Aquascutum still sell proper sized socks, or at least Aqua did before they relaunched. However, Arnys' standard socks start at about 40 euros, going to 80 or 90 for cashmere. Shooting hose handknit in Scotland are over 100 euros. Charvet has excellent cotton hose but its other socks are a cashmere and orlon blend with not too much cashmere. The Arnys and Charvet socks I have are excellent but not worth Arnys prices.

Jaygatsby28

Reaction score
Wanted to resurrect and old thread as I have been trying to change up my sock drawer.

I have always worn VK Nagrani socks b/c they are very comfortable, breathable and kind of crazy (design/color wise). Now I'd like to tone down my socks a little for work reasons. What do people recommend I try that is the same thickness as VK Nagrani and as comfortable?

I picked up a few pairs of Pantherella at Century 21 (also a great source for VK Nagrani socks on the cheap ~$10/pair) and my initial thoughts after wearing 2 pairs so far are that they are much thinner that I am used to and do not nearly breath as well (sweaty feet).

Upon recommendation of this thread I think I will keep my eyes peeled for some Nordstrom, Robert Talbott and J. Press socks.

LanceW

Reaction score
I have sourced Robert Talbott from 2 different sources. One was wonderfully thick while the exact same patterned wool sock from the other source was not as thick. I wish I knew the answer myself.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You forgot the link, duh. Also, I would appreciate more excessive appreciation.

On topic: Viccel +1

Last edited:

Markesq

Reaction score
I believe the link was in the comment immediately above mine, but just for you it is www.xosox.net
...and if I didn't express my fondness for socks, I really, really love them!
Good?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe the link was in the comment immediately above mine, but just for you it is www.xosox.net
...and if I didn't express my fondness for socks, I really, really love them!
Good?

I was assuming you were just spamming these socks in 5-month-intervals. Well, I still am because one more post doesn't change anything. Whatever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads