• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is H&M?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
H&M is a store. Don't have them here in Seattle, but I went to one in San Fran.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It stands for "Hennes & Mauritz". Some Swede started a womens wear store back in the 50s or 60s and called it "Hennes" (="Hers"). Then he bought out a competitor and swallowed up the name, making his chain "Hennes & Mauritz". I'm sure wikipedia could give you a clearer and more accurate history, but there you have it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They're taking their time, that's for sure. I'd shop there, probably more than any of the BR/Gap/Express/other clones if they had one here.

Brian SD

Reaction score
H&M is like the IKEA of fashion. They basically feed off trends from the last year and make cheap knockoffs at really low prices.

So naturally, it's a great place to check out every once in awhile.

They get new stock in by the week. The stuff they sell is pretty much disposable, but that's what's great about it. You don't feel bad if you trash up a $14 dress shirt or even a $50 peacoat.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
They get new stock in by the week. The stuff they sell is pretty much disposable, but that's what's great about it.

"contemporary and temporary" is how a cousin of mine in norway described h&m

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I'd shop there, probably more than any of the BR/Gap/Express/other clones if they had one here.

I'm not sure you would J. I thought the same before they opened a store in my city and now I wouldn't be caught dead in an H&M store. 1) the shopping experience is terrible (masses of 12- to 15-yr olds everywhere, hangin out...), 2) after a few repeat purchases, one realizes that the quality is just absolute crap - far worse than Gap - and to me that's pretty depressing; 3) if you see some item you like at H&M and there is an H&M in your city, chances are you will see that item everywhere on 15-yr olds for about 2 months - i guess that's the concept... mass fashion

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
To say nothing of Abba, seatbelts and a cushy cradle-to-the-grave welfare state model.

And Ace of Base. Never underestimate Ace of Base!
plain.gif

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm not sure you would J. I thought the same before they opened a store in my city and now I wouldn't be caught dead in an H&M store. 1) the shopping experience is terrible (masses of 12- to 15-yr olds everywhere, hangin out...), 2) after a few repeat purchases, one realizes that the quality is just absolute crap - far worse than Gap - and to me that's pretty depressing; 3) if you see some item you like at H&M and there is an H&M in your city, chances are you will see that item everywhere on 15-yr olds for about 2 months - i guess that's the concept... mass fashion

Agree 100%

My fiance always bitches that I spend too much money on clothes and that my choices are not fashionable (lol). So to appease her I went to H&M to get some things she liked. The quality is complete crap and did not hold up for even one season of wearing/washing. I would rather spend 10x the money and get a few quality pieces that will last.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that their major, recognizable designer-imposter pieces are both shoddily constructed and literally ubiquitous, and you really have to be wary to make sure you arent buying polyester, but for minor stuff h&m is great. Forget your sunglasses at home? that'll be $6.90 for a pair on par with some $30 urban outfitters stuff.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the brand as the oldest jeans I own are some grey h&ms I bought somehwere in germany many years ago. At this point, they are so soft & worn that they may as well be pajama pants, but I still wear them fondly.

It's a crapshoot is I guess what I mean.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads