• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who here uses Whey or other supplements?

onetothree

Reaction score
I've been "body building" for quite a while now (7 months) and I'm not satisfied with the results. I want to see results faster
devil.gif
I understand that building muscle takes time and that I won't gain those 2 inches overnight. But... if it is possible to speed things up, would whey do the job? If so, what brands out there are good for cheap or fair prices? I've been recommended On 100% Whey and found this myself: http://www.buybulkwhey.com/?C=228 Seems like "bulkwhey" is the better deal if the taste is the only difference. I'm pretty sure i can tolerate a bit of distaste, if there is any, in the bulkway. Anyways... suggestions appreciated
laugh.gif
-------------------------------------------- Update: ->I've decided to go for the buybulkwhey product and it arrived a few days ago--cheap, doesn't have aritificial junk etc. My critique for the taste:10/10. Supposedly, it takes on the taste of what you mix it with. I've mixed it with milk the past two times and it tasted great. lol, I'm not sure how to describe it but I'll give it a try... creamy/cheesy/dairy/light french vanilla? + dissolves easily. I ordered 10lbs worth. Here are some pictures of the product: I hope this product works out

PolePosition

Reaction score
Diet Diet Diet. That's the key to muscle gain or fat loss. One protein isnt magical and going to suddenly give you big muscles.

Post up your workout regimen and your diet and the supplements you take. That way it can be analyzed and better advice can be given to you.

aleeboy

Reaction score
I have been using whey since November last year. Like you, I had been training seriously for several months and was unsatisfied with my results. I did a two month all-or-nothing bulk. During that time, I upped my eating and sleeping (especially during the xmas break) and was able to put on 2cm in a two week spurt. I think protein supplements has its merits when combined with a solid workout and recovery programme.

FWIW, I employed a spit routine. As far as I'm concerned, the keys to growth are:

- Intensive weight split training
- Adequate rest
- Excess calories (any type)
- Protein supplementation (two to three shakes per day)

This worked for me. I didn't have any change in waist size, but my legs, chest and especially shoulders benefitted from this. Funnily, I gained without dead lifting or squatting. I know others will disagree with having a clean diet, but I think if you train hard enough, eat a hell of a lot and rest, you will be fine.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what brand of protein you take. It's not going to change your results overnight.

If you are not gaining, up your calories by 400 and see where that takes you in a month. Repeat as necessary.

Also, squats and DLs are not necessary for gaining. I love them and do them a lot, but you would have to be kidding if you said someone who works out hard and eats well could not gain mass without them. They just might help speed things along. They also help with functional strength and solidifying the core muscles, in my experience.

pdeng

Reaction score
What you could try is switching off to a creatine supplement. The side effects are overexaggerated in my opinion (you'll cramp if you don't drink enough water, so drink lots of water). You'll increase the overall volume in your muscles and once you go off of it you'll keep a good bit of it. Since you've been lifitng for 7 months you probably don't need me to say this, but eat like a mofo. Like, 4,000 calories a day. Or go on the Mike Phelps diet.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me be the first to say that if you're planning on bulking, you'll likely have to drink a lot of whey. And when you're drinking 2-3 or more shakes a day, taste becomes a big issue. FWIW I think the buybulkwhey protein looks like it will taste extremely bad. http://allthewhey.com has a very good tasting whey protein isolate you can get, and since they have free shipping it cuts a bit off the price. Sure it's more expensive than the bulk whey but that's mere cents on top of each serving, and I'm willing to pay that to get a product that I don't mind drinking several times a day. You could also get some Optimum Nutrition stuff, everyone knows it works.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If your stomach can handle whey concentrate, that's fine. Mine can't, it makes me bloaty and keeps me from eating after I take it. ON 100% is over 50% isolate, so it's much easier on my digestive system. It's also much cheaper than a 100% isolate like Isopure.

I have a feeling, if you are unsatisfied with your results, you aren't squatting enough.

Originally Posted by onetothree
I've been "body building" for quite a while now (7 months) and I'm not satisfied with the results. I want to see results faster
devil.gif
I understand that building muscle takes time and that I won't gain those 2 inches overnight. But... if it is possible to speed things up, would whey do the job? If so, what brands out there are good for cheap or fair prices? I've been recommended On 100% Whey and found this myself: http://www.buybulkwhey.com/?c=223 Seems like "bulkwhey" is the better deal if the taste is the only difference. I'm pretty sure i can tolerate a bit of distaste, if there is any, in the bulkway. Anyways... suggestions appreciated
laugh.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy crap! 10 lbs of Whey blend for 62 dollars?! I'm buying from this place from now on, hell. How does the taste compare to ON, in say, vanilla?
Originally Posted by robertorex
Let me be the first to say that if you're planning on bulking, you'll likely have to drink a lot of whey. And when you're drinking 2-3 or more shakes a day, taste becomes a big issue. FWIW I think the buybulkwhey protein looks like it will taste extremely bad. http://allthewhey.com has a very good tasting whey protein isolate you can get, and since they have free shipping it cuts a bit off the price. Sure it's more expensive than the bulk whey but that's mere cents on top of each serving, and I'm willing to pay that to get a product that I don't mind drinking several times a day. You could also get some Optimum Nutrition stuff, everyone knows it works.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
javyn,

bodybuilding.com actually has a special on Allthewhey protein where you can get two-for-one deals on some of their tubs. I'd say if you're getting ATW right now then you should look there for a better deal. If not, ATW's store offers free shipping like I said and their deals can't be beat. In fact, if you have stomach problems with concentrate like I do, I'd suggest just getting the pure isolate for a few dollars more.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm doing VERY well on ON's 100% mix. ON's label lists isolate before concentrate, so there's at least a 51% majority of that. Allthewhey's mix though lists concentrate first, so I'd like to know exactly what the ratio is.

I had always heard that a pure isolate was counterproductive though. Was under the assumption a bit of both was the best route....?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps what you heard was that pure whey wasn't as productive as a blend between whey and casein, for fast- and slow-digesting proteins. I don't see how pure isolate can be less productive than concentrate, especially since because it's a purer extraction of the whey, the amino acid profile should look much better.

smw356

Reaction score
In my (somewhat lactose intolerant) experience the fiitered whey isolates from trueprotein.com beat pretty much anything else i've had from a taste/palatability/ and no bloating/gi distress standpoint.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onetothree
if it is possible to speed things up, would whey do the job?
Think of whey as one tool in the toolbox. You'll definitely need lots of protein, and whey is a reasonably inexpensive, readily available source of easily digestible (for many people) protein.

If so, what brands out there are good for cheap or fair prices?
My favorite brand, by far, is Whey Delicious: http://www.proteinishealthy.com/inde...d=10&Itemid=39 I get it for a few dollars less by buying from a local distribtor who works out at my gym.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn, that whey delicious stuff is expensive. Even more than metabolic drive! You have to be saving a LOT from your distributor if you think that's a good deal.

kmhpaladin

Reaction score
As far as good-tasting protein powders go, I've had good experiences with BSN Syntha 6 (vanilla, chocolate mint, mochaccino) and MHP Probolic SR (vanilla, cookies and cream, chocolate chip cookie dough). Neither is cheap, but I decided I'm at a point where I don't have to tolerate crap to save a few bucks. I mix them with no fat milk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads