• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who has a long commute?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting to see some of our gaijin brethren weighing in on this thread....

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I first moved here I lived with a host family out in Saitama, school is in downtown Tokyo. One way took about two hours combined bicycle (15min), Train (1:40), and walk (5min). Sucked so much ass, had to transfer twice and walk about 600m in one transfer.
Now its like an hour door to door, not bad.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man...I start to get mad when my public transit commute takes anything close to an hour in the morning.

I aim to walk out the door at 8:00, walk to catch an express bus at 8:05-8:10 and then be signing into the office while still in the 30s (I used to hit 8:39 strangely often...sometimes 8:34). Lately though I have been feeling like my bus started sucking...no longer any open seats (and often not everyone can fit on board) and I often wait longer and maybe traffic is worse because I often make it more like 8:50-9:00.
ffffuuuu.gif

Commute home is never an issue...I take the train home and it always has open seats at my downtown stop and rarely has any issues (as opposed to trying to take it in the morning where you might have to wait for a second train because the first one is full).

If I ride my bike, I can usually beat the bus...but that is a trade off since I don't get to read my book (although the packed nature of my normal bus has interfered with the reading so much that I am trying out other bus routes)

BlackShoes

Reaction score
I had a two hour door to door commute to university during my fourth year. Needless to say, anything under three hours of lectures and I wasn't coming in.

gungadin25

Reaction score
Captain Obvious checking in. Assuming you work 50 weeks a year, a one hour commute round-trip five days a week means you spend (waste) over ten days a year commuting. That's 2.8% of your life.

A two hour commute means twenty days (>5%); A four hour commute means forty days (>10%)

I have a 0.8 mile commute. (I moved when our office moved.) Takes about three minutes to drive or ten minutes to walk.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How can you guys do this?

Growing up my step dad drove 96 miles one way to his lease everyday and 96 miles back. Dude taught me a lot about what it is to be a man.

henrikc

Reaction score
Door to classroom takes about 5 minutes, depending on which classroom we're using. Might take as much as 7 minutes.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Yeah...this has pretty much been me for the last 16 years (Plano to Dallas)

I thought Plano was closer than that, as in, more or less part of the city.

acl1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
Door to classroom takes about 5 minutes, depending on which classroom we're using. Might take as much as 7 minutes.

same for me; our entire campus is like a 20 minute walk. in high school though, it was 15 min walk to the bus stop, 30 min bus, 1 hour train with 3 transfers, 10 min more walking. the things we do for higher education =(

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does flying every week to Atlanta and flying back count?

bob99

Reaction score
When I lived in Toronto, I had a 45 minute commute for the first several months. I then moved downtown and reduced it to a 5 minute walk. Moving close to my work was the best decision I ever made, the reduction of wasted time was amazing.

I recently moved to Vancouver and went through the process of renting a house. Again, I made location a key deciding factor, and I'm now a 10 minute walk away from the studio where I work. There were other cool places in other parts of the city, but it just isn't worth the driving or transit time.

Ken rockwell has a little section in this article called "How To Afford Anything" where he talks about the money you waste by commuting.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-...d-anything.htm

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would guess that driving 1 hour is 3x worse than 2 hours on the train.

One of these days I hope the cars will drive themselves.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 hour round trip no traffic. that never happens except on holidays like Columbus Day.
usually it's more like hour and a half round trip.

going to be moving at which point it should be 35 minutes no traffic and 50 minutes with traffic. i'll also be able to bike to work (20 miles round trip) which i plan to do once a week in the warmer months.

-Jeff

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I thought Plano was closer than that, as in, more or less part of the city.

23 miles from my house to my office, plus I park a block away and walk over to my building. Would only take about 1/2 hour without traffic. Consistently takes 1-1.5 hours each way in traffic. Can take as long as 2 hours depending on the number of wrecks on the Dallas North Tollway. On Monday morning this week I spent 1 hour going about 15 feet because a wreck had completely shut down the freeway.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I would guess that driving 1 hour is 3x worse than 2 hours on the train.

One of these days I hope the cars will drive themselves.

I prefer driving. keeps you alert and mind occupied... time seems to pass much more quickly driving than sitting on the train.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads