• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

[Do you think this is still the case in the UK? Or is it an iGent idyll, yearning for the days of tweed-suited lords overseeing their country estates?

I know I was yearning for this suit:

NoCleverName

Reaction score
Well, hmmm.

So, these thoughts are unformed but not unresponsive.

First is the obvious point about context. Suits are for work and coats for play. Very broadly speaking. So, it makes sense that the former should be more sedate than the latter. There is a place for loud suits but it's typically not in a corporate office.

Second, there is nothing wrong with quieter jackets. I reach for plain blue a lot of the time. Another go-to is brown herringbone which looks solid from 20 feet. Donegals are another example of classic coats on the quiet end. What I don't like are "neither fish nor fowl" cloths: the faux luxe super smooth jacektings with overly subtle patterns, but too busy to be suitings, that dominate RTW high end jacketings.

Third, I do think it's necessary for jacketings to have some texture, and all the more important when it's a solid color.

This brings up something I had been meaning to ask about, are herringbone sport coats in good taste? I recently picked up a blue herringbone sport coat and I was wondering whether it would qualify. I imagine it depends on the size of the pattern, what would you consider to be a good size?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sportcoats can be a much purer expression of individual taste than sedate dark suit and tie combos. A true test of good taste, in many cases. But this thread seems uncomfortable with them, for reasons that escape me, just as single-minded insistence on loud sportcoats and rustic cloths escapes me.

Also, you should go into that tobacco fresco thread and tell them what a mistake it is. As a suit, I mean.

Not a dead loss (as u imply) With casual features the tobacco jacket works 'odd'. There was something in the Gentleman's Gazette about a fresco and flannel combo popular in the Adriatic back in the day.

I got a suit cos the jacket to suit mark-up ain't enough to make no nevermind.
Second, there is nothing wrong with quieter jackets. I reach for plain blue a lot of the time. Another go-to is brown herringbone which looks solid from 20 feet. Donegals are another example of classic coats on the quiet end. What I don't like are "neither fish nor fowl" cloths: the faux luxe super smooth jacektings with overly subtle patterns, but too busy to be suitings, that dominate RTW high end jacketings.

Third, I do think it's necessary for jacketings to have some texture, and all the more important when it's a solid color.

Not sure if you'd include some of the Hunt & Winterbotham collections like Sandringham, Ascot, Chatsworth in this, but what they lack in authenticity they make up for in lightness and coolness.
I wish I could, but it's impossible to wear something like this worsted gunclub (in pic) in a true tweed where I am.

azwildcat

Reaction score

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I almost hate to tackle this as I preach appreciating diversity, but I was taught, growing up, that that color is inappropriate for a worsted suit. This too may be a holdover from the days of smaller wardrobes, when a fellow's only suit might be the wrong suit, but that shade of solid dark brown was the mark of a guy who didn't know better. It's one of my strongest clothing prejudices, for right or wrong.

Setting that aside, it strikes me as an odd beast. It's too brown for business, too brown for stylish casual, too smooth and unrumpled to be dégagé. It's a business suit that's all wrong for business, yet too timid to leave the office.

Thanks for given your perspective. Personally, I don't mind wearing the brown fresco to work but I can pretty much wear anything I want to work. What I am find in is that the color combos are somewhat limited. It's in my regular summer rotation and I'll see how I feel about it this summer.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That tie, Zegna, right? Very nice.

If u mean the navy stripe I posted- Drakes. cheers

Speaking of cream, may I ask what's the prevailing SF thought on the white shirt here?

Looks white, is (lite) blue, which is IMO better in this context. White's more nite/city/formal- not for casual odd jackets. check Manton

Quote:Originally Posted by azwildcat
IMHO, this is great looking.

Thanks. IIRC there was no consensus on the neat tie + tweedy pattern. To me there's a subtle distinction between a brown-based neat and a blue, which I wouldn't wear with that jacket.

Originally Posted by poorsod

Thanks for given your perspective. Personally, I don't mind wearing the brown fresco to work but I can pretty much wear anything I want to work. What I am find in is that the color combos are somewhat limited. It's in my regular summer rotation and I'll see how I feel about it this summer.

sky blue roks with it. I like having something outside the blue- grey - black palette

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads