• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

johnvw

Reaction score

NICE! :slayer: :fistbump:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys. Yeah our hoster seems to have been affected by a big hacking effort that has taken over 90 thousand Wordpress websites down worldwide. I'm hoping we will be back up and running soon enough though. Pricks....
Anyway Stitchy that one sold out long ago I'm afraid and I just gave the last one (my own one I kept) to my father in law for a wedding.

that really is crappy. some people are such assholes.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies as one of those "good taste summer ties", but I liked it so picked it up.

50% silk 50% linen, shirt is 100% linen, and this 11oz wool coat is starting to run too warm.

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not sure if this qualifies as one of those "good taste summer ties", but I liked it so picked it up. 50% silk 50% linen, shirt is 100% linen, and this coat is starting to run too warm.
its funny that a lot of mills sell fabric with high silk content as warm weather fabric when in fact silk runs crazy hot.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

its funny that a lot of mills sell fabric with high silk content as warm weather fabric when in fact silk runs crazy hot.

Is this true of any weave? Is raw silk like dupioni (which I thought was a summer fabric) as hot as other silk? FWIW, there were a few people at Pitti F/W that are now making 100% silk jackets that had kind of a fuzzy finish to them. So it's not that they sell all silk as warm weather fabric.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i too have heard that silk runs hot/does not breath well, even though it can be a very light weight fabric.

either way, looks lovely too me, diaz.

was wondering if this would be considered a summer tie as well. wool, but unlined and lighter in color and weight. thoughts?

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like silk in ties for summer, but I'm with you on the heat for jacketing. Silk was used for a long time for long underwear and such before the advent of synthetic materials because it insulates well for its weight, wicks, and doesn't suck heat out of you when wet like cotton will.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is this true of any weave? Is raw silk like dupioni (which I thought was a summer fabric) as hot as other silk? FWIW, there were a few people at Pitti F/W that are now making 100% silk jackets that had kind of a fuzzy finish to them. So it's not that they sell all silk as warm weather fabric.

don't know about raw silk. It seems to be a more open weave so it may work well in warm weather.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
silk is always hot. the physics of the fiber make it a very good insulator.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, yeah, I found that out the hard way last summer. That stuff is really hot. I was talking about the tie when I said 50% silk 50% linen though, the coat is made of wool (11oz, so it's starting to run warm).

I'm beginning to wonder what to ask for as a lining on my summer coats. I'd get them with just a little lining at the shoulders if I could, but the sleeves must be lined, apparently - and the lining makes me sweat like a mofo. Silk is warm and so are synthetics...

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was wondering if this would be considered a summer tie as well. wool, but unlined and lighter in color and weight. thoughts?

TSB?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

It doesn't look like a summer tie to me, which isn't to say you shouldn't wear it in the summer.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TSB?
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
It doesn't look like a summer tie to me, which isn't to say you shouldn't wear it in the summer.
indeed it is. :) id wear this year round.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:nodding:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads