• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whitlock equates NCAA to slavery?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...2210?GT1=39002

facepalm.gif

Wow, I am surprisingly insulted by this article. I agree that something needs to be done to reform the NCAA, perhaps limiting coach's compensation, but to equate participation in NCAA to slavery is pretty bad. First, I need not point out that playing football in voluntary, and that they are in fact compensated. In addition, playing football is FUN, the kids enjoy it, thats why the do it. Lastly, the fact that the players get litte to no reward from the revenue they produce should not be a shocking proposition to anyone familiar with corporate america . . .

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
College football and basketball are the two biggest rackets on the planet. I don't know if I'd use the slavery analogy, but it is a fundamentally flawed system. The idea of the mythical "amateur athlete" is one that, if not dead, is nearly so. Even the Olympics have given up on that standard. The only reason for keeping college athletes as "amateurs" is so that the colleges don't have to share any of their massive revenues with them.

But the folks with the greatest vested interest in maintaining the status quo is the NFL and the NBA, who aren't required to finance their own farm systems in those sports. Ultimately, a pro baseball prospect has the legitimate option of going into the minor leagues (and getting paid) or going to college if they really want a degree. Football and basketball players have no such option. Saying that college athletics is voluntary is pretty laughable, IMO. It's only optional if you give up your aspirations of playing those sports professionally.

Systems sucks. Need to eliminate the NCAA rules and start compensating the players for what they bring to to colleges.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its not laughable to say it's voluntary when my point is to say that it is insulting to say that NCAA athletes are slaves.

I agree with most of your post though. I'm not sure that the schools need to flat-out pay their players, but I think the NCAA should rethink "amateur status" for sure.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
College football and basketball are the two biggest rackets on the planet. I don't know if I'd use the slavery analogy, but it is a fundamentally flawed system. The idea of the mythical "amateur athlete" is one that, if not dead, is nearly so. Even the Olympics have given up on that standard. The only reason for keeping college athletes as "amateurs" is so that the colleges don't have to share any of their massive revenues with them. But the folks with the greatest vested interest in maintaining the status quo is the NFL and the NBA, who aren't required to finance their own farm systems in those sports. Ultimately, a pro baseball prospect has the legitimate option of going into the minor leagues (and getting paid) or going to college if they really want a degree. Football and basketball players have no such option. Saying that college athletics is voluntary is pretty laughable, IMO. It's only optional if you give up your aspirations of playing those sports professionally. Systems sucks. Need to eliminate the NCAA rules and start compensating the players for what they bring to to colleges.
This pretty much sums it up for me. However, college sports is still, and will always be, my first love.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
This pretty much sums it up for me. However, college sports is still, and will always be, my first love.
Same with me, I LOVE college sports even though it operates in an imperfect system.

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jason Whitlock is, and always will be, a ******* idiot.

There's tons of successful white college football players out there that bring in tons of money for the university (Tim Tebow anyone?) and a fair amount of (always failing) black coaches. Yet he has to spin it into some tiresome "whites oppressing blacks" mantra.

Anyone else LOL when he bragged about graduating from Ball State?
facepalm.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I don't see what ******* purpose college athletics serves if the players are getting paid. These programs are corrupt, bloated beasts that only vaguely support the academic mission that is the purpose of a college or university. You want to watch minor league sports? Go ahead. But paying players to show up and wear your colors and then rooting for it and wearing the national championship t-shirt and saying "I went there, suck it!" is completely and utterly marsupialed.

If they pay the players, the system should be decoupled from the institutions entirely.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll agree that football and basketball are drastically flawed, but the slavery comparison makes him a ruh-TARD. Seriously, that's fucked up. Lucky for me, I don't watch football or basketball, so I don't have to worry about it.

Originally Posted by Douglas
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I don't see what ******* purpose college athletics serves if the players are getting paid. These programs are corrupt, bloated beasts that only vaguely support the academic mission that is the purpose of a college or university. You want to watch minor league sports? Go ahead. But paying players to show up and wear your colors and then rooting for it and wearing the national championship t-shirt and saying "I went there, suck it!" is completely and utterly marsupialed.

If they pay the players, the system should be decoupled from the institutions entirely.

You know perfectly well the players aren't "getting paid." Scholarship money is not income. It can't be spent, it can only be used for an education. That's the point of student-athletes: get an education. Yes, I know, in some programs that isn't a priority. But in many programs, it is. My university's hockey team, which is one of the best in the country and has several NHL draftees on the roster, had a GPA above 3.0 last season. If a student has an unexcused absence from any class, the entire team gets a 6 am skate. I know this because I taught at the university and got to know several hockey players.

Besides, the way you put it, you're putting the responsibility of college sports on spectators. In fact, most college athletes would play if there were few or no spectators...and a large majority of them do just that. Most college athletes are not in football or basketball. The bleachers aren't usually filled for track/field, wrestling, field hockey, volleyball, etc. The point to college athletics -- outside of the NCAA's point of view -- is to produce well-rounded individuals (intellectually and physically) and to boost school spirit.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
whoah tiger. i wasn't suggesting they're getting paid now. i'm reacting to the arguments within this thread that suggest they should get paid.

as for the rest with track and field etc. yes i think those are perfectly legitimate collegiate athletics and I was pretty much referring to football, basketball, and the other big name sports.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea. Sports like tennis, swimming, track and field are fine for NCAA. Its basketball and football that really get me. In football the big schools, Michigan, USC, practially hire crooks. My friends who go to those schools always complain about how they think they can steal **** and get away with everything.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Yea. Sports like tennis, swimming, track and field are fine for NCAA. Its basketball and football that really get me. In football the big schools, Michigan, USC, practially hire crooks. My friends who go to those schools always complain about how they think they can steal **** and get away with everything.

I think some of that comes from the culture of idolatry and permissiveness that comes with sports, long before they get to college. High school football - in Texas at least - is howlingly bad about this. No matter that Johnny QB can't read or tends to **** young ladies, he can thread a needle at 50 yards, and that's what matters.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I think some of that comes from the culture of idolatry and permissiveness that comes with sports, long before they get to college. High school football - in Texas at least - is howlingly bad about this. No matter that Johnny QB can't read or tends to **** young ladies, he can thread a needle at 50 yards, and that's what matters.
I agree, but prep schools are the worst at this.

swaggerisaliability

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Kids get full scholarships. Im not sure what more you could want.

And what about the schools that don't give scholarships yet still profit greatly from their basketball and football programs?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swaggerisaliability
And what about the schools that don't give scholarships yet still profit greatly from their basketball and football programs?

These schools don't exist. Schools that don't offer schollies would never see enough revenue to break even, let alone profit. In fact, a vast majority of schools' athletic departments don't turn a profit, and operating in the black is the exception, rather than the rule, for college athletics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads