• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo Jacket for Houston wedding

Reaction score
Hello,

My fiance and I are getting married in Houston this July. Being raised in the traditional south (I'm not originally from Houston) I grew up seeing the groom & groomsmen at summer weddings in the South wearing white dinner jackets or tuxedo jackets. My father did it for his June wedding and I remember thinking how sharp it looked. I am seriously considering going the same route but had a few questions on the specifics. I know the first rule of wearing a white DJ or Tux jacket is that the shade of the jacket should be close in color to the brides dress. My fiance's dress is a light/medium ivory and if we wear a color more white it could make her dress look dirty. I plan to match the ivory color of our coats as closely as possible to her dress.

1. The next question is do I go with an Ivory DJ or Tux jacket. It seems the few Tux rental store I have been to only carry ivory Tux jackets with notched lapel. They kept calling them WDJ but I noticed the lapel was a satin material so I believe that means they are a tux jacket. Does something as simple as satin on the lapel really matter in this instance? The WDJ they had only differed in the material of the lapel. I may not have the luxury of that choice because matching the Ivory may limit my options.

2. Secondly, I remember my father wore the standard, pleated, wing tiped shirt with black bow tie. I prefer the winged-tip shirts in this instance. Would that be acceptable? I would obviously wear a black cummerbund with this due to hot weather.

3. I already know the answer to this but I was going to wear the standard pure white shirt, mentioned above, with the Ivory jacket. But the stupid girl at the store kept saying I should consider wearing an Ivory shirt. I think that would look ridiculous.

4. Any other tips or suggestions for the WDJ/Tux jacket?

I appreciate your input.

Thanks
Hunter

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your ceremony starts at 7pm, then a tuxedo would be perfectly fine.

First, a dinner jacket and a tuxedo are the same thing. Dinner jacket is a British term and sort of encompasses a jacket, trousers and accessories (like a cummerbund or a waistcoat, and bow tie). Ivory is a fine choice, particularly for Houston in July. Do not, under any circumstances, get a jacket that is actually white.

As this is a major event in your life, consider purchasing your dinner jacket. After all, your bride is not going to wear a rented dress. Why get married in someone else's ill-fitting clothes? If you purchase a decent tuxedo, you will always have it for future events. Ivory jackets often come with shawl lapels (no notch or peaks). Else look for one that has peaked lapels.

Ideally, your jacket should have no vents, no pocket flaps (that is called having jetted pockets), and a single button closure. You might find it difficult these days to find all that in one jacket, but it's worth trying. Go to Brooks Brothers as a place to start.

Do not wear a wing collar shirt. Wing collars were detachable collars that were heavily starched and could stand up to having a tie tied around them. Attached wing collars do not have that same rigidity. Get a good, white, formal shirt with pleats or a plain front and a turn-down collar.

Take a look at some of the other threads concerning Black Tie on the forum for more inspiration. And good luck!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also strongly recommend you buy your tux.

And yes, your jacket should be ivory, but your shirt should be white. I'd go with a soft turndown collar as well.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about

http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Shawl...tuccu0c-21&ascsubtag=56b844ac48308f16fc1e0813 ?

Last edited:

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

I'd study these pictures carefully and go from there. Note that cream, sand, beige, dove gray, and oatmeal are just as acceptable--and I think, slightly preferred --as dead white or ivory. I would not get satin facings on a summer DJ. Self facings just looks better. If I did get satin facings, they would be the same color as the coat. Ivory coats with black satin facings are not good. Think Bogart in Casablanca: he did it pretty well. Veremund's coat is the single breasted version of Bogart's.

The shopgirl doesn't understand that even with an ivory dinner jacket, you want some contrast between the jacket color and the shirt color. White (or blue! look at the young guy holding a cigarette in the midground of the second picture) is better with a cream jacket--and that's why dead white dinner jackets look a bit off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the advice. Sounds like I need to go with the turn down collar. The only issue I have with purchasing the Ivory DJ is that all of the groomsmen will also be wearing the same attire. So if I purchase mine I doubt they will be as enthusiastic. However, I have noticed that the smaller, less chainy, tuxedo rental stores seems to have a better selection and higher quality items. I was not super impressed with the selection at Men's Warehouse or Al's Formal Wear. And Andy, my entire wardrobe is essentially Brooks Brothers so if i were to purchase my jacket you can bet that is where I would look first. But Again if my groomsmen and I are to be uniform then purchasing a jacket is not much of an option. I am not big on the groom having a different look than the groomsmen and ushers. I really appreciate y'alls help, nice to get correct advice from gentlemen that know their stuff.

Reaction score
One last question. A few of you have suggested the single button DJ as opposed to the two button DJ that I have often seen with a notched lapel. Any specific reason you all suggest the single button?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One last question. A few of you have suggested the single button DJ as opposed to the two button DJ that I have often seen with a notched lapel. Any specific reason you all suggest the single button?

Jackets with notched lapels and two buttons are simply re-purposed lounge suit designs. Single button with peak lapels (or shawl collar) is much preferred. But it's your wedding, and your choice. But at least you can make informed decisions.

Reaction score
Thanks Andy. Thank you for making the distinction with the lapels. I've been able to find a two button with peak lapel in Ivory. It is through a local store that gets their tuxs from Jim's Formal Wear. Its not perfect but it may work. As someone said above, trying to find single button, ivory with peak or shawl lapel may be difficult. Also I assume pleated pants is the only way to go. They offer a slimmer fit flat front pant but I am not sure that is my style.

Reaction score
Sorry, one last question. Now that everyone suggests the laydown collar do I go with the pleated/piqued front or flat front? I am a slimmer guy and they offer the flat front in a slim fit. I find the pleats more traditional and appealing.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, one last question. Now that everyone suggests the laydown collar do I go with the pleated/piqued front or flat front? I am a slimmer guy and they offer the flat front in a slim fit. I find the pleats more traditional and appealing.

If you prefer the pleated front then absolutely go with that.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you everyone for the advice. Sounds like I need to go with the turn down collar. The only issue I have with purchasing the Ivory DJ is that all of the groomsmen will also be wearing the same attire. So if  I purchase mine I doubt they will be as enthusiastic. But Again if my groomsmen and I are to be uniform then purchasing a jacket is not much of an option. I am not big on the groom having a different look than the groomsmen and ushers.

There's no reason you all need to be dressed identically. The fact you'll all be wearing white DJs is more than matchy matchy enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads