• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which shirt-types can be worn "untucked"?

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
yes they do make OTR shirts that are short. i have two from Raf Simons, one from H&M, and I am always trying to find more. I made the mistake of shortening a beautiful Polo Ralph Lauren white oxford by telling my tailor to follow the original curve, but just 3 inches shorter. It looks ridiculous in the fact that the sides show some skin when I put my arms overhead (I don't wear that shirt, it is ruined). Anyways instead of only buying $100 and up designer shirts that may or may not be much better quality, I do plan to have some of my more casual shirts hemmed but I definitely will try to use the Raf shirt I have as an example and have more of a square, flat bottom, as opposed to the normal curved bottom. I love the untucked, casual oxford shirt look when I am in a bar or other not formal situations. And if you plan to wear it untucked, I don't think you should worry about the length in proportion to the sleeve length as much as how long it looks compared to your torso. I think ideal length is somewhere down to around midway down the front rise of your jeans or slightly shorter. I hope this helps.

Send the ruined polo shirt to me, I'm probably short enough.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd argue that a shirt doesn't have to be cropped to be worn untucked, as long as it doesn't look overly long. A shirt can be a little on the long side (that is, longer than cropped) and still look decent, depending on the shirt, the pants, and the situation.

Another thing--I think it depends at least a little on age. That is, I think someone middle-aged or older is going to just look kind of silly in a Band of Outsiders sized shirt. But he'll look more appropriate in a slightly longer-tailed shirt untucked, in most cases.

Again, it's all very situational. Also very subjective.

bluemax

Reaction score
It also depends on how slim the shirt is in the waist. If the shirt is tapered and it flares out at your hips, it needs to be tucked in. The shirt needs to fall straight down at the sides if untucked.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, that makes sense. Don't think I've actually seen that, but I can imagine it's not a good look.

I have a few linen LS shirts that I tend to wear (mostly in summer) untucked, mostly with jeans and khakis. When I've tried tucking them in, it just feels wrong.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
untucked shirts should be button down collar with the sleeves rolled up.

Agreed.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha this forum will make rules about every damn thing under the sun if it can.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I don't think its a 'rule', but dress shirts untucked look sloppy as hell most of the time.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's not a rule. It's a fact. Jack.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Haha this forum will make rules about every damn thing under the sun if it can.

Agreed, they can't just go by what looks good.

If you wear a BR shirt untucked it looks horrific but most SF approved brands are fine.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree this leaves potential to look very bad, but I think it's alright occasionally depending on how its's done. I like to play around the idea sometimes with layering and juxtposition. Also, what if I feel like being sloppy then? I think women look great in untucked mens dress shirts around the place, I wouldn't tell them to tuck the shirt tails in their panties cus they're too long....

Hah, I know this last example isn't really on topic about what everyone's talking about, but my main point is that what you do should be left to good taste of the wearer. I hope these newbies don't read every single definitive SF "rule" and think that it should trap them in a box.

Traveller

Reaction score
Hi & thx2all for the recommendations
smile.gif
Clearly there's no "fixed" set of rules but definite tendencies of what one can and / or should not do... Still, I'd like to actually "see" a few examples of ok / not ok. Since a few of you mentioned Band of Outsiders, I dug up this pic from their website. Looking at the "tails" of that shirt, I would say it's still long, compared to what many of you have described...? EDIT: I'm guessing you guys were referring more to this shirt from them...

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im pretty liberal with wearing shirts untucked, and wear BB ocbds untucked, with the long tails (and aim for the Take Ivy, day off look)...
Thats only borderline acceptable though, and mostly because Im tall.

But I really dont agree with shirts having to be cropped to be worn untucked.
"All" shirts thats not overly long (pass jeans back pockets or so) can be worn untucked imo. Westerns and flannels ofcourse, and ocbds aswell.

Ive started to get more into tucking though, gingham BB and grey cardigan today, I look like someones grandad...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Traveller
Looking at the "tails" of that shirt, I would say it's still long, compared to what many of you have described...?

EDIT: I'm guessing you guys were referring more to this shirt from them...

no those 2 shirts probably have the same exact fit. Keep in mind the height of the wearer is going to change how long/short it fits. And the guy on the bottom has his arms raised which is lifting the shirt. But there is a disproportionate distance between how high the sides of BoO shirts are, compared to how long the front and back tails are. If their shirts didnt scoop up so high they'd be easily tuckable, but that high side scoop makes them untuckable.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I also believe, generally, that it depends on the types of shirts we're tucking:

Tshirt and Jeans = Never tuck them
Polo shirt and Jeans = Never tuck
Polo shirt and Chinos = Tucked or untucked is okay--though I personally think untucked is much better. But that also means your polo can't be too long.
Casual Dress Shirt w/ flat bottom and Trousers = tucked or untucked are both okay. (I have a great white SS shirt with a flat bottom that I think looks great untucked and might feel pretty dorky tucked in)
Dress Shirt and Trousers = Always tucked. Unless you're getting juiced up around the pool table.

Wise words indeed!

Personally, I wouldn't ever tuck in a short-sleeve shirt of any kind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads