• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a "work shirt" designed always to be worn untucked?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I am talking about a type of shirt that is probably chambray or denim - something like this: https://statement-store.com/product...work-shirt-indigo-blue?variant=39407866249261

Is it something like a chore jacket that's clearly meant to be outerwear, or is it just a regular shirt so you could wear it for example tucked into jeans with nothing underneath, but also like a light jacket with a t-shirt under it? Or is it dependent on the thickness of the material (Meaning sometimes they would be more suitable as shirts, sometimes more suitable as jackets?)

Leiker

Reaction score
Can be worn tucked in or untucked; if untucked, buttoned up or unbuttoned with a shirt underneath. Lots of options for such shirts.

rjc149

Reaction score
The only shirts that should never be worn untucked are shirts with long hems, which are supposed to be tucked. If a shirt has a 'compromise' length like this one, it can be worn either way.

Personally, I would leave the 2nd button from the collar unbuttoned when wearing it untucked. If you're going to wear it with a business-casual outfit, it's up to you. I only button the 2nd button when wearing a suit without a tie.

GaiusM

Reaction score
I have that exact shirt you linked. It can be tucked but feels and looks better untucked. In no way is it outerwear. A heavier denim shirt might work as outerwear but chambray definitely not.

On a side note that Buzz Rickson chambray fabric is excellent but the shirt suffers from a fatal flaw - the buttons will not stay buttoned. They come undone of their own accord and when you least want them to. Every time I wear it I end up keeping a constant eye on the placket and rebuttoning several times a day. Quite frustrating to deal with and apparently others have had the same issue.

SteveMc

Reaction score
I say it's a matter of fit. I have several shirt-jackets that I wear differently according to how they fit me. The one that is a bit small I usually wear as a shirt either tucked or untacked over a t-shirt. One that's big, I only wear as a layer usually all buttons open. Last one has a boxy and slouchy fit can really be worn as a layering piece only.

Cliffnopus

Reaction score
No.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the fit of this item, but chambray work shirts were often originally used by factory workers. In certain circumstances it could be unsafe to have shirts untucked due to the risk of the shirt being caught up in machinery. Thus, in some cases, wearing those shirts untucked might have been discouraged or prohibited within a factory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads