• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which one?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Looking at two 1960s era mod suits on eBay. I can't decide on which one though. This one has perfect measurements for the trousers and the sleeve length is excellent, but I'm just worried it may be too big, even if it is a very fitted 40". I really do like the fabric and button stance though. This other one is a 38", but the trousers will need alterations as they're 35" at the waist. The lapels are slightly big though, so I'm not sure. Also, the colour isn't my usual choice. So, help me decide based on looks and fit. And, if you outbid me, I'll kill you. My personal measurements for reference... Chest: 37" Waist: 31.5" Inseam: 31-32", though I sometimes go shorter. Shoulders: 20" across

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
are you looking for a "mod" suit? if so, neither of those fit the bill.

otherwise, I would guess the blue one will be slightly too big in the chest for you. I have a 38" chest and like my suits to measure 20" pit-pit. I find that a 4" large-than-m- chest jacket fits far too loose. The other one has better sizing for you but I also feel the lapels are way too wide. I would pass on both and wait for something better to come along.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all I must express my moral outrage at the fact that there is yet another 38 on the forum. Just what I need, more competition, grrrrr.

As far as the suits, IMHO you should wait for something that would be closer to what you are looking for. Unless the suits are dirt cheap - in which case I would say get some shirts instead while you are waiting for the ideal suit
laugh.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
What features makes a suit 'mod'? Where's RJMan when he might be useful?

You see, you need to ask the RJCat for permission first
smile.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'd like a Sacque Suit, but they're out of my price range despite being a good price for what they are. Maybe Mr. Cunningham can hook me up with some old stock?
smile.gif
)))

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
What features makes a suit 'mod'?
typically a hybrid of traditional English with Italian: -high buttoning, usually 3 sometimes 2 button -double vent -hacking pockets, ticket pocket or both -flat front trousers -thin lapels -most importantly a slim silhouette. -Tonik fabric by Dormeuil very popular if going bespoke but generally a wool/mohair blend -Italian shoes are generally preferred with suit the most mod RTW label I've seen is Ozwald Boateng who's fit/fabrics/details are all spot on *if you really want to get "purist mod" from the late 50s era, then the jacket is probably going to be a "bum freezer" aka Thom Browne short

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics