• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of these shirts would work best for job interview?

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the piss-poor pictures, only have my webcam here at the moment.
(L-R)
1. Plain white
2. Blue shirt with white contrast collar
3. White with lilac stripe
3. Light blue with white (and tiny black) stripes

Suit is solid navy, with Peak lapels and ticket pocket.

Also, what do you think about the tie? I have some solids around too. (navy, purple, black, monochromes)

Last edited:

gambit50

Reaction score
Plain white. Don't muck about.
And while those pics have been aptly described, the tie looks alright. Black solid? Get that away from the outfit.
Contrast collar might be alright but that is a lot of white showing through from the collar.Not very tidy to me.Unless these images are deceiving me.
Based on almost nothing, assuming you are somewhat younger and in a somewhat conservative job space,finance or such.
First off, one can be dressed to kill and look fantastic with 'plain' outfits, white shirts, black shoes, blue suits, etc.
Save all the striping, kaleidoscope across your fabrics and the rest for when you are in and situated.
Then you can show off your corduroy sport coat with the purple knit tie, brogued to hell shoes and earth tone trousers to offset your yellow with green check shirt and trouser cuffs that do not reach within an inch of your top lace when standing.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie is blue with white dots, guess it looks a bit different on the picture. And I agree, plain probably works best (Interview for moderate sized tech firm, Engineering job)
Suit is from the online MTM store www.blacklapel.com half-canvassed, and some extra options (lapel width, button stance)

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your Tom Ford inspired Navy Suit should be complemented by a solid light blue shirt or solid white shirt and black shoes (I personally prefer light blue to go with dark navy but white is perfectly decent). Tie does not have to be solid color but keep it minimalistic pattern wise. Keep tie on darker side, I would avoid black. I personally would not bother with a pocket square for an interview.

I like to dress in bold colors and patterns but for interviews I keep it pretty basic. You want the panel to remember you for your good qualities, not as the guy who wore a bright red tie with H symbols splashed all over the place.

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Liquidus: Yes, I did. However, I kinda fucked up the measurements on sleeves this time, they're a bit tight on the forearms, otherwise it's a good fit. The shoulder width made a world difference when looking at it in person. (Haven't bothered taking new pics yet though, as I forgot the waistcoat back home)

biged781

Reaction score
I'd also go with the white, but I'll say this; I interview technical candidates (software, medical devices) and weigh in on who to hire/not hire. None of them would make me think twice. Still... I'd go with the white. Can't go wrong with that.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried on a lighter blue shirt, with more classic collar. Also tried my RLPL suit, which is a bit more conservative as far as cuts go, but also much lighter shade of blue. Either way, white or light blue shirt it is.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the photos you are one of the best-dressed engineers I've ever
seen aside from some notable outliers like a friend of mine from Chicago
who once owned over four hundred ties, and SF''s own binge. I speak
from over 20 years in high tech.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Go with the white or light blue. Avoid the pocket square. As an engineer, I can tell you, the interviewers will likely not care much, but you rather stay as boring as possible to avoid any conflicts. I had a coworker who was colorblind, so many colors looked different to him. Plus, you don't want the interviewers to think you're weird or come off as pretentious. I have coworkers who don't even own a suit, so they might balk at something like a pocket square.

Edit: If you absolutely must wear a square, at least tuck it in so no more than 1/4" shows.

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll be flown across the country for this interview(oil and gas sector), so it's gonna be a whole day trip. Guess I'll pack one extra shirt and tie with me, in case something would happen.

Blue and white shirt
Navy polka dot and plain tie
One of the suits
No PS
Black Park Avenues.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ good luck and I'll see you at the office..

CentralParkMan

Reaction score
Best of luck with your job interview. To be honest I thought all of the shirts you posted were appropriate but that you made the best choice in the end!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics