• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which leather jacket would you get

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both, funnily enough. Well, I think they're the same models. The Vanson is the only leather jacket I have that I wear regularly. It fits almost perfectly, IMO. I have actually only worn the Schotts once, which is a shame since the quality of the leather is fantastic but the cut just doesn't work for me. The shoulders are quite massive but the torso quite slim. I understand that this is supposed to work like body armour when you're riding but I don't ride so for me it has no purpose and just looks odd. In fact its so tight that I can hardly close it up but it still looks huge on the top. Its also a touch longer so its actually hard to sit down with it closed so I assume I wouldn't find it confortable if I rode anyway. Hmmm, I'm not sure this tirade is helping you at all since I'm only 5'6"...I can take pics tomorrow if that will help.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned the Comet for about a year now. I'm around a 41" chest and I bought the 44 and had it tapered to fit better through the mid section, since I'm I'm only a 31" waist. I think the 42 would've been too small in the upper body. I'm around 5' 9.5 and I wouldn't want it to be any shorter. The quality is excellent and mine is still not quite broken in. It's a VERY stiff jacket; it will still stand up on its own.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never seen the Vanson in person, but I had one of those Schott's and did not like the fit. It is super V shaped like Berlin said.

Chauncey Gardner

Reaction score
As for fit: With biker jackets, the rule of thumb always seems to be that you have to size up. I've never found one I could move in otherwise.

I don't know why they're cut so slim. On the other hand, one can understand why the sleeves are always long, which is to cover the wrists when arms are stretched forward to grip the handlebars.

So what I'm saying is that getting the right fit in a leather jacket is a slight bit tricky or different from choosing any other garment. If at all possible, try on a few jackets first, no matter what make, just to get acquainted with the general sizing and cut, and to see what size allows you to move around comfortably. For instance, I had one that made my shoulders extremely tired after a few hours, which I've never experienced in other jackets.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardner
As for fit: With biker jackets, the rule of thumb always seems to be that you have to size up. I've never found one I could move in otherwise.

I don't know why they're cut so slim. On the other hand, one can understand why the sleeves are always long, which is to cover the wrists when arms are stretched forward to grip the handlebars.

So what I'm saying is that getting the right fit in a leather jacket is a slight bit tricky or different from choosing any other garment. If at all possible, try on a few jackets first, no matter what make, just to get acquainted with the general sizing and cut, and to see what size allows you to move around comfortably. For instance, I had one that made my shoulders extremely tired after a few hours, which I've never experienced in other jackets.

I think the biggest reason for the slim fit is to keep wind buffeting to a minimum.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jackets meant for actual motorcycle riding have to fit tight in the waist so they don't puff up like a balloon in the wind. And they have to be big in the chest and shoulders so they are comfortable in the riding position. These are advantages when you are riding but not so much if you are just looking for streetwear.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only leather jacket I would buy is one that Carol Christian Poell does every season. It costs a fortune.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
The only leather jacket I would buy is one that Carol Christian Poell does every season. It costs a fortune.

Pics?

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
I can take pics tomorrow if that will help.

Id appreciate that berlin, thanks. And thx others for the help.

I do have rather broad shoulders and a big chest myself, so i was thinking this might suit me?

I looked at non-biker related jackets but can never find one that
doesnt have too much details and stuff. And dont live in the US, so cant try any of those 2 on.

Would you say i definitely shouldnt buy them online without trying them on first?

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vanson size 38
DSCN7513.jpg

DSCN7514.jpg

Schott size 36
DSCN7515.jpg

DSCN7516.jpg

Hmmm, the Schott actually looks really good in pictures...the length really gets on my nerves though. Its too damn long. Or my torso's too short.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Rag&Bone makes a slimmed up motorcycle jacket that's not meant for the road, so the leather is softer and the feel is more luxurious. It's $908 so the price tag is obviously a big jump, but if you're looking for something really stylish instead of functional (which can translate into odd cuts, as in the Schott Berlin posted pictures of), you're unfortunately going to have to pay a bit more. Here's Rag&Bone's from Spring (though according to their website gallery, it should be available for this fall as well).
010307ragboneara1.jpg

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
I'm not expert but with all the good things I've heard people say about Vanson it must be a decent jacket. I love they way they look, too.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
berlin, the schott jacket looks really good imo. Not too long, and roomy enough for a heavier sweater!

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^Yeah, all of a sudden I kind of like it but the bagginess of the sleeves (doesn't show in pic) bothers me a bit. Still, its a great winter leather jacket because of the zip-off fleece vest and, as you said, the space for heavier knits. Maybe I will wear it this winter. Its been hanging in my closet for two years so its either wear or sell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads