• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which leather jacket would you get

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hrvatsko
Berlin, could you post some of your measurements? I'm thinking about buying that Vanson and it looks like a perfect fit on you and I think I'm about your size (5'7, 37" chest, 31" waist, 140 lbs)

thanks.

Yes, we're about the same size. I'll measure the jacket and post it later.

Alan, I have a 37 chest and took a 38 in the Vanson and a 36 in the Schott. I would just send them an email with your measurements. I did this with Schott and I got a response right away. The jacket I got is theoretically my right size in that model. I just have the wrong body type for it. Or the wrong purpose
smile.gif

mikesduc

Reaction score
I have 2 Vanson jackets and a custom racing suit. I would not get the Vanson for casual wear. Check out the Metro Comet by Vanson. Biker jacket looks but lighter leather and a different cut.

amlai

Reaction score
I don't think that the Metro Comet exists anymore on their product list. At least it's not on Vanson's website.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
Yes, we're about the same size. I'll measure the jacket and post it later.

Alan, I have a 37 chest and took a 38 in the Vanson and a 36 in the Schott. I would just send them an email with your measurements. I did this with Schott and I got a response right away. The jacket I got is theoretically my right size in that model. I just have the wrong body type for it. Or the wrong purpose
smile.gif

Thanks Berlin, i just did as you advised and got a quick response as well.

They recommended me a size 44 for my 42 chest (how come i sized up and u sized down, maybe the collared model is different?)

Sleeves will be 2 inches below my wrist, but the problem is the length.

The 44 will prob be 2 long for me
mad.gif
(actually itll probably fit me length wise as yours does, which isnt 2 bad)

vanson havent replied to me yet lol

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When Vanson does reply, keep in mind they will assume you're buying the jacket to ride, thus recommending your true chest size. When I called, they tried to steer me towards the 42. Maybe I could've squeezed into it. I kind of agree with mikesduc though as far as it not being a good choice for casual wear. I've thought about wearing mine when not riding and thought I'd feel like too much of a tool. It does look great on Berlin though.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Rag&Bone makes a slimmed up motorcycle jacket that's not meant for the road, so the leather is softer and the feel is more luxurious. It's $908 so the price tag is obviously a big jump, but if you're looking for something really stylish instead of functional (which can translate into odd cuts, as in the Schott Berlin posted pictures of), you're unfortunately going to have to pay a bit more.

Here's Rag&Bone's from Spring (though according to their website gallery, it should be available for this fall as well).

010307ragboneara1.jpg

anyone know where i cna get one of these or see it. Im im in nyc..thanks

mikesduc

Reaction score
You can get the Comet in horsehide or the medium weight leather which could be a good alternative.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikesduc
You can get the Comet in horsehide or the medium weight leather which could be a good alternative.
I cant find it on the web right now...but im pretty sure vanson made a "metropolitan" line for more casual use. They also do custom, so im sure you could order any model you wanted with mid weight leather... http://www.tricktape.com/browseprodu...tro-Comet.HTML

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Who made it is somewhat irrelevant, quality of Theory garments are quite high, the design [of this jacket] is superb - $900 for that quality and cut is kind of a deal, IMO. It could probably be found for cheaper during the sales.

The CCP one is nice, but that's not a motorcycle jacket, at all.

yea someone asked what it looked like so I posted it
anyways, 900 is overpriced for chinese made garbage. Theory quality is NOT high. esp for the price

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hrvatsko, here are the measurements of the vanson (in inches):

armpit to armpit: 21
shoulders: 18
length from collar to hem (back): 23.5
sleeve from shoulder seam: 25.5
sleeve from collar + shoulder + cuff: 32

Hope that helps. Keep in mind that the jacket is around 8 years old and has been worn extensively. The leather has stretched out a bit.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikesduc

Horsehide is stiffer than cowhide by quite a bit. Has a nice look though.

Casual

Reaction score
This new one from C.P. Company is really nice. Removable liner with a cloth Mille Miglia (goggle) hood. US retail is scary, though, around $1800.
LeatherCP.jpg

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Jackets meant for actual motorcycle riding have to fit tight in the waist so they don't puff up like a balloon in the wind. And they have to be big in the chest and shoulders so they are comfortable in the riding position. These are advantages when you are riding but not so much if you are just looking for streetwear.

More importantly, in the case of a fall, the loose folds in the leather of an ill fitting jacket will bunch up causing the leather to tear very quickly. Also, you don't want the jacket to ride up whilst sliding on asphalt, so it needs to be tight at the waist. You want a motorcycle jacket to be snug everywhere. Most real jackets have articulated shoulders/sleeves so that they are comfortable in the riding position. A natural consequence is that they are less comfortable in the standing position. Also, contrary to some of the opinions of others, I've found that motorcycle jackets are shorter than regular jackets, particularly in the front. This is another consideration for comfort in the riding position.

I would never buy a real motorcycle jacket for casual use. Go with a fashion company with a motorcycle look. The leather on a real motorcycle jacket is extremely heavy. Wearing a Vanson feels like donning the lead vest at the dentist's office. Great for safety, but not the best to walk around in. Further, I don't find their cuts [Vanson in particular] very flattering. I believe the general consensus is that Vanson is made for the prototypical American middle aged man. Those looking for a more slimmer more modern fit tend to look towards Italian or Japanese makers, such as Dainese and Kushitani.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
More importantly, in the case of a fall, the loose folds in the leather of an ill fitting jacket will bunch up causing the leather to tear very quickly. Also, you don't want the jacket to ride up whilst sliding on asphalt, so it needs to be tight at the waist. You want a motorcycle jacket to be snug everywhere. Most real jackets have articulated shoulders/sleeves so that they are comfortable in the riding position. A natural consequence is that they are less comfortable in the standing position. Also, contrary to some of the opinions of others, I've found that motorcycle jackets are shorter than regular jackets, particularly in the front. This is another consideration for comfort in the riding position.

I would never buy a real motorcycle jacket for casual use. Go with a fashion company with a motorcycle look. The leather on a real motorcycle jacket is extremely heavy. Wearing a Vanson feels like donning the lead vest at the dentist's office. Great for safety, but not the best to walk around in. Further, I don't find their cuts [Vanson in particular] very flattering. I believe the general consensus is that Vanson is made for the prototypical American middle aged man. Those looking for a more slimmer more modern fit tend to look towards Italian or Japanese makers, such as Dainese and Kushitani.

So does this mean the American middle aged man is still in his design phase?
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads