• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which jeans fit this description?

Lino

Reaction score
Between the time I was in 5th grade and until I was out of college, I wore jeans and only jeans day to day. To give some perspective, I graduated college in 1991.

Back in elementary school I was a Wranglers kid, but at some point in Jr. High I switch to Levis. Back the oprions for me were simple 501 or 505, straight leg, "pre-shrunk" or not. Levis came in basically one color of bue too. Both the "pre-shrunk" and non-pre-shrunk started out stiff as a board, the only difference was the you did not have to worry about sizing issues as much (btw, both behaved the same way when it came to fading and breaking in). Also, unless my memory is failing me, the non-pre-shrunk version was sized so that it would fit correctly after you washed it"”unlike the "Shrink to Fit" Levis of today where you need to buy two sizes larger (great example of markting gone wild).

In the mid-80's stone washed hit, which was OK, until the color started getting lighter and lighter (let's not talk about acid washed, which I can honestly say I avoided). It seems that around that time pre-shrunk and what would now be called raw were totally eclipsed by stone washed, which seem to have reined supreme in Levis-land for qite a while.

The thing is, over all of that time, and even up to about 2002, things do not seem to have changed much, the denim seemed to remain about the same weight, quality took a bit of a dive around 2000 (not as long lasting, but visually the same and the weight still there), cut seems to have stayed consistant as well.

But now, OY! The weight is lighter, the cut is different (from rise to pocket depth, everything seems to have been tweaked) and worst of all the demin is well crap. The demin is lighter, colors just plain weird, and there is something wrong with the texture of the demin (rather than the usual perfect tight diagnal twill line, the rows are not even and there is a streaking common to most demin today that I find hideous"”it started with chain store (like J. Crew) jeans for women, but now seems to all over).

So, where oh where should one turn for:

1) a basic "classic" (as in pre-stone wash era jeans) that are pre-shrunk, so I can try them on and be relatively sure they will still fit and I can live in and make my own (fading caused by me, my rips and wear, etc.) and is still hard wearing. And is low enough in cost that I would actual not blink at doing a days garden work in them...oh my!

2) same as above, but if I was willing to spend some money to get what I want.

Thanks,
Michael

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do all sorts of work in my jeans, and don't blink. You sound like you want "raw" jeans, so you are in luck here. Probably the best jean with a good basic and flattering fit you can get for the price right now is the 5EPxSF, (see my pinned post.) You can pick them up from DenimBar ( www.denimbaronline.com ) at a discounted price (see the DenimBar thread for the coupon). The price would come to $210 shipped. If you want a more "classic" fit, the Rby45RPM ( at www.rby45rpm.com ) is a good bet. I like Kicking Mule Workshop as well. Probably, you would want the 1950 model. Denim Bar and Context ( www.contextclothing.com )both have those. Don't let the Denim Bar pictures throw you off. The Context pictures are much better. If you want a pair of "starter" jeans, Good society (at Context) and APC (DenimBar) are good starters.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
good society slims are on sale @ urban outfitters for less than 50 shipped.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
good society slims are on sale @ urban outfitters for less than 50 shipped.

are these as slim as the BDG skinny ones? I tried those on the other day, and I had great difficulty getting them past the legs.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
the BDG skinny jeans remind me of the levis 510 superslims. i don't think the GS's are quite that slim, don't take my word on that though.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
the BDG skinny jeans remind me of the levis 510 superslims. i don't think the GS's are quite that slim, don't take my word on that though.
Well..the leg openings on the GS ones is 1 inch larger on the slim ones, and 2 in larger on the regular fit compared to BDG skinny jeans. Damn, now I am not sure which ones to get.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I do all sorts of work in my jeans, and don't blink. You sound like you want "raw" jeans, so you are in luck here. Probably the best jean with a good basic and flattering fit you can get for the price right now is the 5EPxSF, (see my pinned post.) You can pick them up from DenimBar ( www.denimbaronline.com ) at a discounted price (see the DenimBar thread for the coupon). The price would come to $210 shipped. If you want a more "classic" fit, the Rby45RPM ( at www.rby45rpm.com ) is a good bet. I like Kicking Mule Workshop as well. Probably, you would want the 1950 model. Denim Bar and Context ( www.contextclothing.com )both have those. Don't let the Denim Bar pictures throw you off. The Context pictures are much better. If you want a pair of "starter" jeans, Good society (at Context) and APC (DenimBar) are good starters.

Somehow I think the prices of these jeans will make this guy blink.

Cali

Reaction score
First thing that came to mind was wrangler 13mwz, but he could always get some lvc from cultizm.com. Similar to the jeans of yore and a few different fits.

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Somehow I think the prices of these jeans will make this guy blink.

I did ask for both something you would not mind digging a ditch in and something that matches the specs I mentioned but price not a worry.

Big thanks to Cali for the cultizm.com tip off. I saw a couple of items that looked perfect.

Michael

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino
I did ask for both something you would not mind digging a ditch in and something that matches the specs I mentioned but price not a worry.

Big thanks to Cali for the cultizm.com tip off. I saw a couple of items that looked perfect.

Michael

Then if you don't mind dropping some bucks, I'll recommend 5ep. I own the LDB in both the resin and dark worn washes and they are incredible. I never thought I could feel this way about jeans. I'll probably end up buying a pair in raw a year or so down the road, but I need to diversify now. They're more of a classic jean and currently I'd like a trendier pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads