• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find a slim fit double-breasted suit?

MrNoose

Reaction score
I have about five suits now and have decided to add an old fashion double-breasted suit to my collection. So far, the hunt is going down south.... Ironically enough, I prefer the suit to be a slim fit (which defeats the purpose of saying "old fashion" right?). The reason being that I'm 5'7 and less than 120lbs with my size being a 36S.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent 36S slim fit double-breasted suit?

Much help (with links) is appreciated!

lwmarti

Reaction score
I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but I have a Kiton DB that's a pretty slim fit and is very nice. I also have a couple of RRL DBs. They're definitely old fashioned. All of the RRL suits that I've seen seem to be trying for some sort of '20s or '30s era retro look.

You can find Kiton stuff pretty much anywhere. I believe that you can only get the RRL suits in RRL stores, which are a bit uncommon.

Maybe the RRL is what you're looking for?

TomTom

Reaction score
Suit Supply normally have a good selection of DB suits plus they look very slim fit to me...Check out their website for more info.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Information on your budget would be helpful. Suitsupply is in general not a bad idea, but the one thing you have to look out for with DB suits is getting the fit exactly right. There is a much smaller margin of error with DB suits than SB suits. Have you considered / can you afford MTM?

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers makes one in their slimmest (Milano) cut.

Last edited:

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score

I have about five suits now and have decided to add an old fashion double-breasted suit to my collection. So far, the hunt is going down south.... Ironically enough, I prefer the suit to be a slim fit (which defeats the purpose of saying "old fashion" right?). The reason being that I'm 5'7 and less than 120lbs with my size being a 36S. 

Does anyone know where I can get a decent 36S slim fit double-breasted suit?

Much help (with links) is appreciated!

Have you considered, can you afford to buy and have easy access to good bespoke, MrNoose?

Don't let that ongoing thread (with over 230 pages) about Napoli Su Misura fool you. Besides, much less than half of those almost 3,500 people that have bought bespoke clothes (suits or other casual dress wear, dress wear or formal wear) from Napoli Su Misura are dissatisfied with this bespoke clothing maker in Naples, Italy.

Bespoke is typically the best way to go for by far for suits and (including shoes) all other dress wear, all casual dress wear and all formal wear (but only if you have the money, patience and time).

Bespoke (or, as any many people call it, custom) is expensive (often very to extremely expensive) and is highly time consuming and, therefore, requires a good amount of patience. However, bespoke is usually the only way to go for all casual dress wear, dress wear and formal wear, especially if you want something you rarely even see MTM, let alone MTO or OTR.

All of the above is most true if you want fabric that is heavy weight, which, FWIW, is a minumum of 13 ounces.

However, all of the above only applies when bespoke is good.

Last edited:

MrNoose

Reaction score
I appreciate the kind relies.

I purposefully left my budget out because I wanted to look at every option, even if it's out of my range. In any case, I was thinking of putting $1-1.5K on a decent double-breasted suit.

As for Bespoke, while I do believe there is a Bespoke in the greater LA area (where I live), getting there frequently enough for fitting would prove burdensome. Now, I did skim through that 230+ page long thread Mr. Oxford pointed out and did decide against Bespoke. As members already mentioned, I just dont have the time for it.

Also, I did check out all the other options suggested on the thread; RRL, Suit Supply, Brooks Brothers, and Kilton DB. However, out of all those options, only Suit Supply had anything remotely close to my size, but I've never purchased a suit from them before. Any complaints from Suit Supply?

I usually stuck with retail stores because I prefer to try my suits on before I purchase them. I have two H&M's (2 piece brown & black), Alfani Red (3 piece navy blue), and two Bar III (3 piece black & charcoal). The Bar III suits I haven't even worn yet as I still need to take them to the tailors.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$1,000-$1,500 puts you comfortably in the range of a Hong Kong MTM tailor (and possibly someone local though it is hard to say) if you have time to wait and wan tto go this route. If you go the MTM route, be sure to read up about it and be well informed so you know exactly what you want. Meeting someone in person to talk and have them measure you definitely helps minimize the disasters we've seen from online MTM. SuitSupply is probably a lower cost option and if you get something that really fits you well, you should be happy with it. Personally, however, I'm much more likely to get a DB suit or jacket MTM than a SB one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics