• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy a white OCBD?

hannibal2469

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a white OCBD, dont care about brands looking for a good quality cheap shirt coz i cant afford an expensive one, about 40 dollars is what my budget is but the cheaper the better.

Thanks

LeMaitreChat

Reaction score
I've gotten Brooks OCBDs on sale for ~$40-55, but that was a few years ago (and you have to wait for the sale).

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Land's End - their "Hyde Park" OCBD shirts, as well as their other OCBD shirts, are excellent quality and will last for years.

They normally cost $49 but Land's End has a 25% off sale at present: http://www.landsend.com/coupons/

I've got a variety of LE shirts, including several of the Hyde Park and a couple of their other OCBD models, plus other casual shirts, and they've all lasted very well.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lands End's look inauthentic- virtually no collar roll.

Perhaps it depends upon the model - the Land's End "Canvas" line has a more "contemporary" look, with smaller, flimsier collars.

However, all of my OCBD shirts from the Land's End main line have excellent collars, with a great roll.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Uniqlo
they have regular and slim fits
usual price is $29, occasionally they go on sale for $15

hannibal2469

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help, going to look at the lands end models and the uniqlo ones as well...@jrd617 will have a look at that and see if its worth it, maybe I will buy it once I can afford it.

The uniqlo ones are 19$, what do you get when you pay more for better brands?? i mean isnt a white OCBD the same no matter where you buy it? I was thinking about getting it, just wondering if there is anything wrong with it since it costs so less.

Last edited:

Louys

Reaction score
To keep it simple, there are four things you should look for when comparing comparable items of clothing:

1) Fit
2) Fabric
3) Construction
4) Styling

You cannot look good in clothes that do not fit you. Some people will find a uniqlo oxford fits them very well, others will find the opposite. There's no rule that more expensive clothing will fit better off the rack, though I would say from experience that higher-end brands tend to fit me better. That may not be the case for you, so it would seem that there is no advantage here. However, Kamakura offers more sizes than Uniqlo in more fits. Odds are that your Kamakura size will fit you better than your Uniqlo size.

Judging fabric is often a matter of preference. I have't had a uniqlo oxford in a bit but If I remember correctly they use a thicker rougher fabric than Kamakura. Kamakura offers a very nice fabric for their price point, its softer and thinner, though not thin, it has the heft you'd expect from an Oxford. There isn't a way to say that Kamakura's fabric is objectively better than Uniqlo's. If you want something beefy and don't care a lick about the fabric's hand (=how it feels) then uniqlo will be better for you. Yet, my guess is that most people would prefer Kamakura here.

Construction is how well the shirt is made. I'm no expert on construction but I find it to be a non-factor in shirts. It's much more important for coats and shoes. Niether shirt will disintegrate immediately, niether will outlive you.

Styling makes a big difference. These are the purely aesthetic touches. Kamakura wins hands down. They are famous for their perfect roll collar. Uniqlo's collar is a bit skimpy. There's more to this category, but will a plain OCBD the biggest concern (after ensuring there are no hideous 'details' like contrast stitching) is the collar.

In short the Kamakura for 90 shipped will probably fit you better than the Uniqlo, you will probably perfer the fabric, and the collar is just plain better. That's what you get over uniqlo which, not discounted is around 35 shipped.

All that to say. If you truly can't afford a $80 shirt don't buy it. Let me repeat that. DO NOT BUY WHAT YOU CANNOT AFFORD. If you're a broke college student who would have to go without food for a week to afford nicer clothes, hold off until you get a job and buy Uniqlo for now. However, if you are not a broke college student, but a financially stable man who simply thinks $80 is more than anyone should pay for a shirt give Kamakura a try and challenge your paradigm. You wear clothes every day (I hope), why not invest in better clothes. When you learn more you'll see that $80 for what you get is very reasonably priced.

hannibal2469

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed information appreciate it very much....gonna go and try out the uniqlo and if it fits well there shouldnt be any problem, an 80$ shirt is not something i can afford right now.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are a 15.5-34 Tweedydon had $150 Mercer shirts for $22 each in the B&S Forum.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks everyone for your help, going to look at the lands end models and the uniqlo ones as well...@jrd617
will have a look at that and see if its worth it, maybe I will buy it once I can afford it.

Kama's are worth it... and more

I've really warmed to button-down collar shirts lately. They look great with a sportcoat and without a tie, which is used how I'm attired.

The collar "roll" on the Kama's is unmatched anywhere else at the $90 price point. Just sublime.

You won't regret a Kama purchase, if sized properly.

Best OCBD's around

Watch this for info on the quality:

Last edited:

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads