• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy a suit? $3-4K max budget. Saville Row Fabrics and Style, Like M2M but not Bespoke...

twemh

Reaction score
I have a problem and it goes like this: Most readily accessible suit makers (i.e. SuitSupply) in my area peddle Vitale Barberis fabrics and charge nearly 4-5X for m2m. Look I'm willing to pay for M2M but can I get a fabric that doesn't look like limp tracing paper? The fabrics at suit supply are notoriously light weight, lack any richness, and outside of standard solids their herringbones, glenchecks and windowpanes (if you can find one), and flannels look cheap.

I'm willing to pay as much as 3-4$k for a suit if it's right, but I can't justify spending another $2,300 on a M2M flannel suit at supply where 80% of the cost is in the customization and fit. Yeah it fits better but still looks like a cheap suit I'm sorry.

I do not have the time or money for true Saville Row bespoke (10K + I have read?) nor do I need one, but I would love to find a made to measure shop that offers British Tailoring aesthetics and quality fabrics such as fox brothers, or dugdale.

Any recommendations?

I've almost considered buying some off the rack at Mr. Porter (their Kingsman line) which looks to be high quality and seeing if I can do enough work with a tailor to get it to fit right.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would help if you tell us where you live and/or whether you travel to major cities (NY, London, etc) on a regular basis or are willing to travel to have a suit made.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fox Brothers sell their cloth direct to consumer, as does Huddersfield Fine Worsteds.

You could find a CMT tailor to do something for you and get something quite nice in that price range.

Do you come through LA at all?

twemh

Reaction score
Would help if you tell us where you live and/or whether you travel to major cities (NY, London, etc) on a regular basis or are willing to travel to have a suit made.

Therein lies the problem. I live in the sartorial wasteland of Denver, CO. Where hiking boots and puffer jackets are acceptable attire for any occasion outside a funeral.

twemh

Reaction score
Fox Brothers sell their cloth direct to consumer, as does Huddersfield Fine Worsteds.

You could find a CMT tailor to do something for you and get something quite nice in that price range.

Do you come through LA at all?

I travel to Orange County for work once in a while but not LA. What is a CMT tailor? I assume custom made or something.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CMT is Cut, Make, Trim. Basically bringing it to a MTM or bespoke tailor instead of buying their cloth. Useful if you, for example, really want Fox Brothers but they aren't carrying the books.

Can also save a few bucks (not a ton) generally.

Gonna shoot you a DM.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I travel to Orange County for work once in a while but not LA. What is a CMT tailor? I assume custom made or something.
Hemrajani brothers in Costa Mesa then. Never worked with them personally but check out the MyTailor thread here. They do travel around the country so maybe they pass through Denver. Some very nice work based on photos/comments and well within your budget.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats actually a good point. I do shirts w/ Hemrajani. Haven't done any jackets or suits yet. They are carrying a lot of italian stuff though I think - Loro Piana, VBC, Zegna etc. They may also have Holland and Sherry but I'm not sure.

twemh

Reaction score
Very interesting and thanks to both of you for your feedback. The more I get into suits and tailored clothing the more I feel fabrics are so crucial to getting the look you want.

What is MyTailor?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

twemh

Reaction score
What about east coast options?

I travel to DC somewhat regularly and grew up a few hours from NYC. Always an excuse to go there.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
several threads here on custom tailoring in NY and DC, well worth a search. main question is whether to work with a tailor/company with a year-round presence in those cities (lots of options in NY; Paul Stuart or Field Custom English Tailors for true bespoke in DC) or a traveling tailor (lots of options for both cities).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads