• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can a tall person buy a suit?

User123456789

Reaction score
I've been trying to find decent tailored clothing that fits me for about 5 years now, without much success. My problem is that I'm 6'5 with a 39" chest. All OTR 40L jackets I've tried are comically short on me (covering less than half of my butt). I also have a fairly straight posture that gives me sleeve pitch issues on many OTR models.

After a lot of experimenting with OTR, my best fitting jacket is an OTR 44L from Spier and Mackay that was brought in to fit. It's still a hair shorter than I would like. And the proportions are a little warped from being brought in 2 sizes. I've also tried a smaller local MTM company that generally gets good reviews on this site and elsewhere. Was measured in person, but got back a jacket that is effectively just a 46L - too big in all dimensions - with sleeve pitch issues as well.

I don't have the budget for bespoke (would like <$1500 for a suit) or any real desire to travel outside of greater Philadelphia. It seems like my best option is to keep looking for MTM even if that means that there will be some trial and error involved. Spier and Mackay has a custom program that lets you tweak the proportions of their OTR models. I'm thinking of trying that next, but it is non-refundable and I already got burnt once on the MTM jacket mentioned above.

Was wondering if this forum had either:
a) recommendations on decent quality (i.e. comparable to S&M, suit supply) retailers offering extra long OTR jacket models that I could try on, or
b) any other thoughts or advice that I'm not considering.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 6’5” I’d avoid online.

Men’s Wearhouse does, or at least did have, a made to measure program using Joseph Aboud. You might want to try there.

you definitely need to be fitted. I don’t know the area but perhaps someone from the Philly region knows of soMe bespoke tailors that can give you good results in your price range.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I've been trying to find decent tailored clothing that fits me for about 5 years now, without much success. My problem is that I'm 6'5 with a 39" chest. All OTR 40L jackets I've tried are comically short on me (covering less than half of my butt). I also have a fairly straight posture that gives me sleeve pitch issues on many OTR models.

After a lot of experimenting with OTR, my best fitting jacket is an OTR 44L from Spier and Mackay that was brought in to fit. It's still a hair shorter than I would like. And the proportions are a little warped from being brought in 2 sizes. I've also tried a smaller local MTM company that generally gets good reviews on this site and elsewhere. Was measured in person, but got back a jacket that is effectively just a 46L - too big in all dimensions - with sleeve pitch issues as well.

I don't have the budget for bespoke (would like <$1500 for a suit) or any real desire to travel outside of greater Philadelphia. It seems like my best option is to keep looking for MTM even if that means that there will be some trial and error involved. Spier and Mackay has a custom program that lets you tweak the proportions of their OTR models. I'm thinking of trying that next, but it is non-refundable and I already got burnt once on the MTM jacket mentioned above.

Was wondering if this forum had either:
a) recommendations on decent quality (i.e. comparable to S&M, suit supply) retailers offering extra long OTR jacket models that I could try on, or
b) any other thoughts or advice that I'm not considering.

Junior's does MTM in Philly.

Also...NYC is not that far away. Go there for a day. Get a suit. Eat some good food. Go to a museum. See a show.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You'll be hard-pressed to find something that fits off-the-rack.

There's a new operation called I Sarti Italiani that visits NYC. Accounting for fabric, you're looking at about 1500 euros for a suit (roughly $1700). They do custom tailoring. I've used them and had great results. If you can make it to NYC, that may be an option.

Be aware that if you use a MTM operation, they are working with a block pattern, and that block pattern may not suit your height.

User123456789

Reaction score
There's a new operation called I Sarti Italiani that visits NYC. Accounting for fabric, you're looking at about 1500 euros for a suit (roughly $1700). They do custom tailoring. I've used them and had great results. If you can make it to NYC, that may be an option.

Thanks for the tip. I've seen posts of their work on SF look great. I didn't realize it was that close to my price range.

Before I trek up to NYC for multiple fittings, I plan to give Junior's another try now that I know what to look out for (Junior's was the MTM in the OP). I like a lot about them (American trad leaning style, fabric selection, price point, and that they're right in my back yard), although I worry that the their pattern might just not be right for me. I want to avoid going on an expensive goose chase just because I really want it to work out.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also...NYC is not that far away. Go there for a day. Get a suit. Eat some good food. Go to a museum. See a show.
When I lived in NYC we used to go to Philly just for a cheese steak and an away Mets game at the old Vets Stadium. (Substances were involved but we took the train.) I have relatives who commute daily to Manhattan from West Chester. The only salient question is why you would not go to NYC for menswear if you live in Philly.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Before I trek up to NYC for multiple fittings, I plan to give Junior's another try now that I know what to look out for (Junior's was the MTM in the OP). I like a lot about them (American trad leaning style, fabric selection, price point, and that they're right in my back yard), although I worry that the their pattern might just not be right for me. I want to avoid going on an expensive goose chase just because I really want it to work out.

When doing MTM, try to see if the company has fitting garments. This will give you and the filter a better idea of whether you fit well into the block pattern. You can do a lot with MTM, but the less you stray from the block pattern, the higher the chance of success.

Plus, this is a way to sneak an extra "fitting" into the process. Since MTM comes with just one fitting (the final fitting, when the buttonholes are cut), unexpected issues can arise. If you get to try on a sample garment, this will be like your forward fitting in a bespoke process.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
I've also tried a smaller local MTM company that generally gets good reviews on this site and elsewhere. Was measured in person, but got back a jacket that is effectively just a 46L - too big in all dimensions - with sleeve pitch issues as well.

And they wouldn't remake the jacket?

Your safest bet is to go MTM, but check their return/remake policy beforehand, and hold them to it. Yes, this takes time and involves trial and error, but it'll get you a suit that fits for well under $1500.

User123456789

Reaction score
And they wouldn't remake the jacket?

A big part of it is my fault. When I first tried it on I was unsure on the fit - should have said something then. It wasn't until I wore it once that I realized it was just too big. I procrastinated a bit, but did reach back out to the maker. They said they could take a look and see what they could do. I assume that meant they would have covered additional alterations, but I never took them up on it because I was losing weight at the time. Now I'm 30lbs lighter than I was when it was already too big, I'm only holding onto it in case I gain back a fair amount of weight. I never pressed for a return, so I'm not sure if it would have been possible or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads