• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you keep your phone?

JTrent82

Reaction score
I've been wearing five-pocket pants for as long as I can remember, whether denim or canvas. For the past few years I've actually been wearing six-pocket pants with a thigh cellphone pocket. I've been upgrading my style lately, but I'm hung up on the pants. For the life of me I can't figure out where all the well-dressed guys keep their phones without that heavy chunk of tech ruining their drapes and silhouettes. For that matter, where do I keep my folding knife and AAA flashlight which I always have clipped to either side pocket? That would look terrible in slash pockets, right? So... where do you dapper gents keep your phones and all your other EDC? Cheers!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep mine in a breast pocket of my coat. I do not carry a knife or flashlight (the Apple phone serves as a flashlight).

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outside pocket of my jacket, unless I’m walking around Naples. Then it goes in a breast pocket but I try not to do that because it ruins the drape. I suppose if you wear fuller jackets it might not be a problem, but I wear closely tailored clothing.

If I’m not wearing a jacket I use my shirt pocket, although one must be careful when bending forward.

At night I often carry a slender Böker auto knife with a rosewood handle which has a pocket clip. I keep it in my front trouser pocket.

Last edited:

JTrent82

Reaction score
With the exception of work/occupation, who totes around a knife and flashlight?
Thanks for your helpful response. Where I'm from, soft hands are an insult instead of a compliment, and nearly every man I know carries a knife. Most also carry a torch. Cheers!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your helpful response. Where I'm from, soft hands are an insult instead of a compliment, and nearly every man I know carries a knife. Most also carry a torch. Cheers!

I’m not trying to be a dick, but maybe if you didn’t carry around stuff you don’t need, then the phone thing may not be so perplexing.

If you absolutely must carry around a knife and flashlight; then no, I’m of no help.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Where I'm from, soft hands are an insult instead of a compliment, and nearly every man I know carries a knife.
So you're from Dodge City, ca. 1870?

JTrent82

Reaction score
So you're from Dodge City, ca. 1870?
I'm from East Tennessee, ca. 2022.
I’m not trying to be a dick, but maybe if you didn’t carry around stuff you don’t need, then the phone thing may not be so perplexing.
I use my knife at least ten times a day. I use the torch almost as often. I don't carry anything I don't use regularly. They're both small and unobtrusive, but they would look weird clipped to slash pockets and I suspect they would be bouncing against my thigh all day. Anyway, this is a digression- I'm mostly asking about the phone.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The inner pocket? Does it mess with your silhouette? I imagine it's not entirely comfortable.

Yes, inner pocket. In-breast pocket refers to the breast pocket on the inside of the coat. Out-breast pocket refers to the one outside, where people normally stuff pocket squares.

Most of my coats are cut with a draped or swelled chest, so there's a bit of room between my physical chest and the coat. The phone just hides in that space.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm from East Tennessee, ca. 2022.

I use my knife at least ten times a day. I use the torch almost as often. I don't carry anything I don't use regularly. They're both small and unobtrusive, but they would look weird clipped to slash pockets and I suspect they would be bouncing against my thigh all day. Anyway, this is a digression- I'm mostly asking about the phone.

I carry my phone in my front pocket. When wearing a jacket, I’ll tend to carry it in the inside breast pocket.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Yes, inner pocket. In-breast pocket refers to the breast pocket on the inside of the coat. Out-breast pocket refers to the one outside, where people normally stuff pocket squares.

Most of my coats are cut with a draped or swelled chest, so there's a bit of room between my physical chest and the coat. The phone just hides in that space.
Great! It's helpful to know that the cut can compensate for the phone. Thanks! Can I ask where you keep your wallet? I have a minimalist wallet that usually lives there.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I back-pocket my phone in dress pants just like I would in casual pants. Small card case for a wallet in my front pants pocket. Small pocket knife in my other front pants pocket (mostly wear pleated trousers so the knife doesn’t typically show. Car key goes in sport coat or overcoat pocket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads