• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do Canadians Buy their Dress Shoes

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Hi,

As most of us are quite aware, Canada is quite the black hole for dress shoes. You can't find it and if you do, you're going to pay a fortune for what you're getting.

Where do you, Canadians, buy your shoes? Specifically, I'm looking at Allen Edmonds because it's the only ones I had a chance to try and want to purchase at the moment. If you have other suggestions of where I can try out other brands and have a way to purchase them at a reasonable price, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks!

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hxh_killua
Thanks, I've been following that thread as well. However, it seems that OP wasn't too interested in AEs and it more or less ended on a note of either go to the states or buy online with customs/duties being a hit or miss.

Buying online is a good option if you know your size in AE. It's my understanding that you'll pay tax but no duties because they're made in the US and we have a free trade agreement.

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Are there online retailer that you trust and can recommend because one of the issues is if there are any problems you'll have to ship back to the states, which can become costly. Don't get me wrong, it's one of the risk one has to bear with buying anything online and that I'm willing to take to get a decent price. But if there is one that you've used and haven't had any problems with I'd gladly use it.

HankRearden1

Reaction score
I find this is a good site to order AE's from:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/
laugh.gif

Seriously, they ship to Canada and would be about as trustworthy as you could want. You could also call up or email one of the shoebanks to get a list of discontinued or seconds.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
where in Canada are you talking about? If you're in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, etc then there are some specific suggestions...

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
where in Canada are you talking about? If you're in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, etc then there are some specific suggestions...

Toronto
smile.gif

hrb

Reaction score
There's always the predictables: holts is stocking jl, prada, church's right now (though marked up about 20%), HR has a decent range of AE's. Their house brand also looks ok, though i'm not sure who makes them. That all being said, i would suggest (and do, myself) find your appropriate shoe size and the model you want, then buy them online, you'll save lots of money. I can't remember if there is a gravity pope in T.O. but they'll the get the occasional pair of quality dress shoes. good luck in the search!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Search... this one's been covered MANY times. Basically Harry Rosen, Holt's, and Davids - all right in Yorkville. Then there are a couple of other random stores here and there but not much to look at. Check the retail map (and add anything you want)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP,
It was the Allen Edmonds Strand you were interested in?
And you want the lowest price you can find online? I hope you know exactly your size. before pursuing online.

One thing the OP should be aware of with online shopping;
If you are looking for a current model of shoe, the deals are harder to find as they are current.
Setting your sights on last years models or even a few years old models is where the deals are easier to find.
Allen Edmonds is one great shoe for the money, especially online.
They sell also 'seconds' which are shoes with imperfections.
Generally this will not affect the look or performance of the shoes at all, but may have a scratch or some other small issue, in which case they will be much much less $$ than retail.
It has been noted on another thread, that Allen Edmonds itself will sell seconds to Canada,
so this is a great place to start.
I believe what the OP is asking specifically, is where do Canadians find the deals online.
Are there specific websites that ship to Canada via USPS Ground mail, with a return policy, etc.
Ebay ofcourse, is one, depending on which seller.
What are some other reputable online retailers for Canadians? This list would be of great interest.

Islander

Reaction score
Road trip to NYC (or if you live in Vancouver, to SF). If money is tight, book a discount flight, take an empty suitcase, spend a night or two in a cheap hotel. Take the wife or GF, make a sightseeing vacation of it. Get sized for the shoes you like at specialty retailer, buy a pair to ease your conscience (maybe pick up a pair of properly-fitting jeans at BIG/SE while you're there). Make future purchases online with confidence.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics