• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Where did you get that jacket?"

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
One evening earlier this week I was out to dinner with clients, Mr. & Mrs. X. As we were walking into the restaurant, Mrs. X ran her hand down the sleeve of my coat and asked "Where did you get this jacket? I think Averil has one exactly like it. I'm sorry ... I know you well enough ... I just have to ask."

Her choice of words indicated to me that she realized she was being forward (via the apology) ... but she felt a degree of familiarity that made it okay for her to proceed with the question.

The jacket I was wearing was bespoke for me by a Savile Row tailor ... and while I didn't want to lie ... I suffered a bit of worry that saying so was a little too much. Still, I just went with the truth ... saying only the name of the tailor, "Richard Anderson." When she responded she wasn't familar with that shop ... the tone implying she wanted more info ... I added, "It's in London." Then came "the" question ... "Savile Row?" Of course, I said, "Yes."

Editing in Bold

What do you do if/when you find yourself in a similar situation?

What a dbag

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
"As with your valued patronage, t'was commissioned and its wearing's reserved for elite clients."

Which tailor?

"Dicky Anderson, The Row. Know Dicky? Oft don the ol' feedbag here? Pabst icy? Interesting shoes those!"

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I thank those who choose to share advice.
And at this point ... I thank those members who chose to share advice.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
"Dicky Anderson, The Row. Know Dicky? Oft don the ol' feedbag here? Pabst icy? Interesting shoes those!"

My clients are ... well ... not Thurston & Lovie. We're talking my generation ... not that of my parents.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't see why people are taking issue with RSS's question.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Others taking issue is certainly not an issue for me. After all, this just wouldn't be SF unless it went that way.

My use of past tense was to say I have the advice I want. There were some very decent answers. It is not to discourage further commenting.

People are welcome to continue commenting ... I just don't want to feel an obligation to respond further ... as I'll be less available this next week.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next time you see the old bat, grab her hand, place it on your rod, and ask her if she can guess your "rise"

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
My use of past tense was to say I have the advice I want. There were some very decent answers.

Yes, many commendable jewels of savoir-faire to be gleaned within the aforementioned bons mots. SF's a veritable treasure trove of eloquent repartee appropriate to charming trusts funds from the grasp of the inquisitive distaff.

Farewell, bon commerce

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you saying my answer should just be "Polo"?

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines that you should assemble press kits with little fabric swatches, a picture of the One-Shoe and a map of Rubinacci's Naple's location.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
Yes, but in a time of fiscal restraint and belt-tightening, it's not always prudent to be seen tightening an aligator-skin belt with an Italian sterling silver buckle.
Originally Posted by JayJay
QFT
1+
Originally Posted by RSS
It's not harsh at all ... as I made no excuse for my choice.
1+ it isn't about making excuses for choices; why are excuses needed? It is about maintaining a relationship and not surprising the client (the wrong way). I think those in the service industry who deal with clients understand this.
1+ it happens fairly often and it is good to be prepared

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
The fraud claimed that lives in a Manhattan building with a doorman, and makes over $300K per year.
Neither are unusual for someone living in Manhattan. Well, the income might be a bit on the low side ... as the maintenance fee alone for a co-op in a good building can easily exceed $300K per year.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
Yes, many commendable jewels of savoir-faire to be gleaned within the aforementioned bons mots. SF's a veritable treasure trove of eloquent repartee appropriate to charming trusts funds from the grasp of the inquisitive distaff.
Indeed there are some commendable jewels of savoir-faire ... some less polished stones ... and even the usual "contributions" failing to meet the criteria of anything even remotely commendable, jewel-like, or near the realm of savoir-faire.

Yes, this is Style Forum ... but while some might like to think that all members' style is equal ... I assure you that some members' style is more equal than others.

Or to put it another way ... were it not for those who are void of light ... the stars wouldn't shine so brightly.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Perhaps Manton, Alden (London Lounge), Iammatt, RJMan, AHarris or Will -- to date, the only forum members I've actually met -- will vouch for the reality of my being one.
Did you meet them all at once? Sounds like quite the party.
Originally Posted by RSS
And there is always Film Noir Buff ... while we haven't met ... he makes a sport of deriding my clothing choices. Although personally, I think Buff is rather fond of me ... just not my clothing.
Do I deride your clothing choices directly or collaterally because you like things I do not? In any case, I hope I haven't hurt your feelings? I am fond of you. Not to cheapen the moment, I'm fond of most of the people in this space except for a handful whom I find comic.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads