• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When to wear Oxfords

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sand
So now it stands 4:3 for the Oxfords, any further opinions?

A little plain but will work on all accounts.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
That's interesting. My understanding of the "rules" is that captoes are officially more formal than brogues...
I think you're right - I'm just a heretic. If you were talking very snazzy mirror-shined captoes, I'd agree. But to my eye, the medallion on a brogued shoe just looks busier and "fancier" than thus looks discordant with jeans or khakis. A muted captoe is, imho, less visually obtrusive.
I agree that bluchers are even more versatile than oxfords in the context being discussed.

darck

Reaction score
I think oxfords (both cap toe and brogues) work extremely well with jeans for the exact same reason as DocHolliday put forth. A pair of well-polished brown cap toe oxfords together with a pair of casual jeans give an air of sophistication, in my opinion.

And I don't like the look of khakis with oxfords either.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is just the gauche old tosser in me but the only things I will not wear casually with jeans are loafers, slippers & sandals
biggrin.gif
Boots & wholecuts go best though IMO. P.s. I only have one pair of plain black captoe AE Park Avenues though, which I keep for times I need something as plain as possible.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with AlanC and the Doc. Cap-toe balmorals would look badly out of place with any casual outfit, in my opinion, as would just about any balmoral. To tell you the truth, a pair of full-brogue balmorals would look better than the plain cap-toes, but still not quite right. Plain cap-toes are best worn for business with a suit, and, to my eye, look wrong in casual outfits. I wouldn't even suggest full- or semi-brogue bluchers or plain cap-toe bluchers, but the Norwegian-split-toe bluchers in AlanC's picture look right. Best of all, in my opinion (while we are including jeans in the discussion), are a sleek pair of loafers or Norwegian-toe Monks.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don`t think Oxfords are a good match with a casual sportscoat or jeans. You will look like you are wearing dress shoes with jeans.

How about the more casual derbies...perhaps a U tip or something...should fit your shortscoat and jeans type of outfit much better than oxfords which tend to look better with a suit. Loafers would match with your outfit too.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
They do have bluchers (aka, 'derby'):

1689-02.jpg

Anlass: der Schuh ist elegant zum Anzug, gilt "offizieller" und "förmlicher" als der Full Brogue (which is just what we were saying...
wink.gif
)

1688-02.jpg

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll weigh in with AlanC, DocHolliday and Roger on this one. I think bals of any kind look silly with anything except a suit or, perhaps, a very dressy sportcoat/blazer and slacks ensemble, and I have some misgivings about the latter. I concur that bluchers are much more versatile shoes. In a pinch, i.e., when travelling I might wear a pair of my dressier bluchers, e.g., my A-E Cortlands, with a suit, but I'd feel a little guilty about the slightly subpar pairing.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
They do have bluchers (aka, 'derby'):

1689-02.jpg

Anlass: der Schuh ist elegant zum Anzug, gilt "offizieller" und "förmlicher" als der Full Brogue (which is just what we were saying...
wink.gif
)

1688-02.jpg

Well, I know, which was the reason why I posted this question. But as it seems there is no consent. To summarize what has been said about it:

fraction a) says it's okay for they either don't care about "the rules" or they see the Oxford as less obstrusive as the brogue and therefore prefer it for simple casual outfits
fraction b) sticks to "the rules" which say that an Oxford is a formal which should just be worn with a suit. They consider brogues or bluchers/derbys appropriate

Now my problem stays the same - I don't like brogues. I thought about the bluchers/derbys as well, but it is difficult to get one that fits my budget. What do you think about shoes like these (AE Denton):
Denton.jpg

But I don't really like the split toe. These AE Joplins would be just what I imagine a perfect blucher to be, but they have a ridicolously thick rubber sole:
Joplin_large.jpg

Would you consider them appropriate for casual wear? (And if, where can I get them for a little more than 100 € in the area round Bonn, Germany?)

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have just been to town, tried the Oxfords on (darker brown), they looked really good, so I bought them.
Maybe I'll post some pictures later.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sand
Have just been to town, tried the Oxfords on (darker brown), they looked really good, so I bought them.
Maybe I'll post some pictures later.

Nice. Show us the final result when you get a chance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics