• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When to Wear a Flannel Suit

MGGGGM

Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought a flannel Ludlow suit from Ebay this week. I live in Philly and am hoping to have an interview soon. I've never owned a flannel suit before, but my impression is that they are made more for colder weather. My question is whether it would be considered inappropriate to wear a flannel suit in warmer weather or just a matter of comfort. (In other words, would I look like an idiot wearing a flannel suit in June or just risk being too warm?)

Thanks for any advice!

Jim Chu

Reaction score
Flannel is generally a colder weather material, but it also comes in all kinds of weights. I imagine that if you have a lighter-weighted flannel, you could wear it on a cooler summer night, although many people would never do that, including me. I probably wouldn't wear flannel to a job interview either if the scene is more conservative. Worsted wool would be more appropriate in that case (my opinion only and others may reasonably differ).

Also, I believe, although I am no expert, that flannel wears out easy and should be given time to recover between wearing I don't know that you'll look ridiculous - of course depending on the weight- but you may noticeably stand out next to gentlemen wearing frescos, seersucker, cotton/linen/mohair blends and other lighter-weight suits in the warmer months. Personally, my flannels are hibernating until November or so.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winter only: It is too heavy for summer and would look totally out of place and give entirely the wrong impression at an interview.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think flannel at any weight in summer and late spring is 8mpossible to wear.

However, I think flannel suits are suitable for interview. Just the same as worsted wool.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It only depends on the weather. I would think that summer in Philly would be to hot and humid to wear flannel. But otherwise, flannel is fine in all situations, in my opinion. It all depends on the weight. I have two lightweight flannel suits that are summer suits as well as a flannel summer blazer. The blazer is gossamer-light.

Regardless of the cloth, it just comes down to how comfortable you think you will be in that particular suit on that particular day. I have a similar conundrum today. I'm visiting in the UK and the day is cool and blustery. Do I wear my Fresco suit and run the risk of being too cold, or a flannel suit I brought and run the risk of being too warm? Decisions, decisions!

TOstyle

Reaction score
Add my vote to flannel looking odd in the summer. High risk it looks like you might be a little bit crazy.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add my vote to flannel looking odd in the summer. High risk it looks like you might be a little bit crazy.

You've apparently never experienced an English summer day. Or a San Francisco summer day, for that matter!

TOstyle

Reaction score

You've apparently never experienced an English summer day. Or a San Francisco summer day, for that matter!

Well I do have a home in Canada, and spend most of my life living/ working in the northeast, and just put away my flannel suits for the summer yesterday...but when the humidity hit in a city, a proper flannel suit is homeless guy territory.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regardless of actual fabric weight (and let's face it, no real flannel is actually lightweight) the fuzzy / heavy appearance of the fabric simply LOOKS out of place in midsummer. Flannel is a seasonal fabric and summer is not its season. My flannel suits and trousers are now officially on vacation until well into the fall. I do love the stuff, but even with the light shade and fairly bright pairing of shirt / tie / ps shown below, I'd feel more than a bit of a dufus strutting around in this ensemble in mid August, even if it were unseasonably cool on that particular day.

orig.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I do have a home in Canada, and spend most of my life living/ working in the northeast, and just put away my flannel suits for the summer yesterday...but when the humidity hit in a city, a proper flannel suit is homeless guy territory.

Quite so. Anywhere on the Eastern Seaboard would be far too hot and humid for flannel in the summer. But that's really the point I was trying to make: there are places in summertime that are not like that and I see no reason at all not to wear flannel when the temperature is hovering around 60 with a chilly breeze. Like San Francisco on a summer's day.

Regardless of actual fabric weight (and let's face it, no real flannel is actually lightweight) the fuzzy / heavy appearance of the fabric simply LOOKS out of place in midsummer. Flannel is a seasonal fabric and summer is not its season. My flannel suits and trousers are now officially on vacation until well into the fall. I do love the stuff, but even with the light shade and fairly bright pairing of shirt / tie / ps shown below, I'd feel more than a bit of a dufus strutting around in this ensemble in mid August, even if it were unseasonably cool on that particular day.

That's simply not the case. I have a real flannel jacket that weighs in at about 7oz or so and is a summer jacket. Flannel cricket whites are summer wear. But so what? As far as I'm concerned we can all wear whatever we feel is appropriate.

TOstyle

Reaction score
I agree with that. There are no rules in menswear, and if you want to wear the flannel go for it - a tweed looks great any time of the year in the English countryside, but assuming @MGGGGM is in a city, and looking not to stand out in a job interview, I think the advice that the flannel would look out of place is good advice.

I should also say, for the record to my earlier comment, if one was wearing a nice flannel suit like @RogerP in the summer, they would still look like badass, well-dressed homeless dude.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quite so. Anywhere on the Eastern Seaboard would be far too hot and humid for flannel in the summer. But that's really the point I was trying to make: there are places in summertime that are not like that and I see no reason at all not to wear flannel when the temperature is hovering around 60 with a chilly breeze. Like San Francisco on a summer's day.

That's simply not the case. I have a real flannel jacket that weighs in at about 7oz or so and is a summer jacket. Flannel cricket whites are summer wear. But so what? As far as I'm concerned we can all wear whatever we feel is appropriate.

I'm not sure it has ever been disputed that one CAN wear whatever one pleases. The style police do not exist.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In classic movies, you see people wearing flannel in the summer. I wouldn't wear it to an interview though, just to be on the safe side (why take the risk). It would probably be no problem as part of your rotation once you're hired :)

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why flannel suits in suitable colours are considered "no" for interview?

Then why fresco suit are OK for interview?

Is this just a silly iGent rule?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads