• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

When is arm hole too high?

Rugger

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
773
Reaction score
22
On a suit...searched a bit didn't find a solid answer. Are there some tell tale signs?
 

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
12,719
Reaction score
4,907
If your fingernails turn blue, your armholes are definitely too high.
 

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
8,508
Reaction score
1,243
something to also note is it's not always just about the jacket. I started getting more tailored jackets but then quickly noticed that my shirts were a little too loose too near the armhole so my cuffs weren't showing. But then as I got my shirts tailored the shirt armholes are what made me the most uncomfortable since I was sweating a lot more... If find someone like DocHolliday, or Yfyf, and I can't quite tell but I think Vox, Gregaz and TCHouston have a nice slim armhole... not sure how high tehy are though. Keep in mind some of this is OTR and some is bespoke/mtm so that means it may not have just happened the first time round (ie it took many iterations before finding the right balance). Of course it helps to be super slim...
 

Rambo

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 3, 2007
Messages
27,311
Reaction score
1,619
If you can't give somebody a hug with the jacket on.

If you can't reach above your shoulder without the jacket coming completely up over your chest.

If you can't reach down to get the toilet paper while wearing the jacket.
 

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2008
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
53
The armhole can go all the way up until it hits the natural armpit on your body, there is no 'too high.' The question, I believe, is whether the armhole is correctly shaped or not, and even more important, the sleevehead.
 

Rugger

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
773
Reaction score
22
I guess I just wont know until I see a tailor? The holes on the jacket I just got a definitely higher than others I have, feel high/tigher under my arm pit and the jacket does rise a bit when I reach my arms up. Just not sure if high is too high. Maybe the sleevehead isn't shaped right for me?

I will try and take pictures when I can.
 

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
1,051
Reaction score
199
Originally Posted by Rugger
I guess I just wont know until I see a tailor? The holes on the jacket I just got a definitely higher than others I have, feel high/tigher under my arm pit and the jacket does rise a bit when I reach my arms up. Just not sure if high is too high. Maybe the sleevehead isn't shaped right for me?

I will try and take pictures when I can.

I can't imagine the issue.. So post picture please.
Making small armholes need extra expertise. Don't push the tailor to do that if he really cant, otherwise you will end up with sth terrible. Just go away and find someone who can do it.
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
35,748
Reaction score
10,654
Originally Posted by Maccimus
I can't imagine the issue.. So post picture please.
Making small armholes need extra expertise. Don't push the tailor to do that if he really cant, otherwise you will end up with sth terrible. Just go away and find someone who can do it.


This is true and as somebody else stated the shape of the armhole makes a big difference.
 

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2008
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
53
Originally Posted by Maccimus
I can't imagine the issue.. So post picture please.
Making small armholes need extra expertise. Don't push the tailor to do that if he really cant, otherwise you will end up with sth terrible. Just go away and find someone who can do it.


Yes, I asked my tailor to do high armholes for me and it ended up being high, but the whole armscye had shifted backwards or had the wrong shape, so there was constant strain on the front of my shoulder where the seam was... i might as well have had a low armhole in terms of comfort (though admittedly it looked better).
 

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
2,855
Reaction score
114
Originally Posted by Svenn
Yes, I asked my tailor to do high armholes for me and it ended up being high, but the whole armscye had shifted backwards or had the wrong shape, so there was constant strain on the front of my shoulder where the seam was... i might as well have had a low armhole in terms of comfort (though admittedly it looked better).

that strain on the shoulder front can be relieved by having the front shoulder shifted outward.
 

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
2,364
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
something to also note is it's not always just about the jacket. I started getting more tailored jackets but then quickly noticed that my shirts were a little too loose too near the armhole so my cuffs weren't showing. But then as I got my shirts tailored the shirt armholes are what made me the most uncomfortable since I was sweating a lot more...

If find someone like DocHolliday, or Yfyf, and I can't quite tell but I think Vox, Gregaz and TCHouston have a nice slim armhole... not sure how high tehy are though. Keep in mind some of this is OTR and some is bespoke/mtm so that means it may not have just happened the first time round (ie it took many iterations before finding the right balance). Of course it helps to be super slim...










YFYF is my fav best dressed member.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 141 33.3%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 69 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 35 8.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 23 5.4%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 14 3.3%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.1%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 3.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 26 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,484
Messages
9,199,467
Members
193,209
Latest member
smartlu

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top