• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is arm hole too high?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a suit...searched a bit didn't find a solid answer. Are there some tell tale signs?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Armholes are too high if the jacket becomes uncomfortable to wear.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
If your fingernails turn blue, your armholes are definitely too high.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
something to also note is it's not always just about the jacket. I started getting more tailored jackets but then quickly noticed that my shirts were a little too loose too near the armhole so my cuffs weren't showing. But then as I got my shirts tailored the shirt armholes are what made me the most uncomfortable since I was sweating a lot more... If find someone like DocHolliday, or Yfyf, and I can't quite tell but I think Vox, Gregaz and TCHouston have a nice slim armhole... not sure how high tehy are though. Keep in mind some of this is OTR and some is bespoke/mtm so that means it may not have just happened the first time round (ie it took many iterations before finding the right balance). Of course it helps to be super slim...
docholiday.jpg
fitx.jpg
gregaz.jpg
gregaz2.jpg
voxsartoria.jpg
fitnavysuitvox.jpg
yfyf5.jpg

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you can't give somebody a hug with the jacket on.

If you can't reach above your shoulder without the jacket coming completely up over your chest.

If you can't reach down to get the toilet paper while wearing the jacket.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The armhole can go all the way up until it hits the natural armpit on your body, there is no 'too high.' The question, I believe, is whether the armhole is correctly shaped or not, and even more important, the sleevehead.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I just wont know until I see a tailor? The holes on the jacket I just got a definitely higher than others I have, feel high/tigher under my arm pit and the jacket does rise a bit when I reach my arms up. Just not sure if high is too high. Maybe the sleevehead isn't shaped right for me?

I will try and take pictures when I can.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
I guess I just wont know until I see a tailor? The holes on the jacket I just got a definitely higher than others I have, feel high/tigher under my arm pit and the jacket does rise a bit when I reach my arms up. Just not sure if high is too high. Maybe the sleevehead isn't shaped right for me?

I will try and take pictures when I can.

I can't imagine the issue.. So post picture please.
Making small armholes need extra expertise. Don't push the tailor to do that if he really cant, otherwise you will end up with sth terrible. Just go away and find someone who can do it.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
Making small armholes need extra expertise. Don't push the tailor to do that if he really cant, otherwise you will end up with sth terrible. Just go away and find someone who can do it.

This is true and as somebody else stated the shape of the armhole makes a big difference.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus

Yes, I asked my tailor to do high armholes for me and it ended up being high, but the whole armscye had shifted backwards or had the wrong shape, so there was constant strain on the front of my shoulder where the seam was... i might as well have had a low armhole in terms of comfort (though admittedly it looked better).

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Yes, I asked my tailor to do high armholes for me and it ended up being high, but the whole armscye had shifted backwards or had the wrong shape, so there was constant strain on the front of my shoulder where the seam was... i might as well have had a low armhole in terms of comfort (though admittedly it looked better).

that strain on the shoulder front can be relieved by having the front shoulder shifted outward.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
something to also note is it's not always just about the jacket. I started getting more tailored jackets but then quickly noticed that my shirts were a little too loose too near the armhole so my cuffs weren't showing. But then as I got my shirts tailored the shirt armholes are what made me the most uncomfortable since I was sweating a lot more...

If find someone like DocHolliday, or Yfyf, and I can't quite tell but I think Vox, Gregaz and TCHouston have a nice slim armhole... not sure how high tehy are though. Keep in mind some of this is OTR and some is bespoke/mtm so that means it may not have just happened the first time round (ie it took many iterations before finding the right balance). Of course it helps to be super slim...

docholiday.jpg

fitx.jpg

gregaz.jpg

gregaz2.jpg

voxsartoria.jpg

fitnavysuitvox.jpg

yfyf5.jpg

YFYF is my fav best dressed member.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads