• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's with the SF crashes?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was down for about 3 hours today.

I'm definitely not a techie. Are we sure this is a problem of not having a dedicated server?

If so, I posted this on 3-16-07:

Re: Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I don't think there is any way around a dedicated server for a site this big. Will cost you about 5x as much though. I had already assumed you were on a dedicated server.

I thought there is a dedicated server too.

I'm not a computer guy though. It seems like computer hardware prices are going down, and specs are going up.

To you techies out there. How much would a sufficient dedicated server cost. I'm just guessing $1000-1500. Is that about right?

For all the time I spend on this site, and enjoyment I get, I would be willing to contribute toward an SF server.

I'm thinking 100 people at $10 each would be $1000. Is that feasible? 100 people contributing $10, and buying a server for $1000. Could you see that happening?

What do you think?

globetrotter 2-2-07

If J wants to set up a specific Paypal account (or use his own, since I trust him), why don't we really see about a group buy of a server!

What do you techies and SF stalwarts think?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the flames emanating from the CF threads melted the server.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I think the flames emanating from the CF threads melted the server.

Yes, definitely a conspiracy. Read Post #91 on that CF thread!!!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One shouldn't complain about something that's free.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

Are you complaining (for free) about these people who complain?
marchal.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

I though my OP was an offer and not a complaint!
confused.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I though my OP was an offer and not a complaint!
confused.gif

honestly, i just read the complaint, not the stuff in italics posted below.

Either way, the server is just part of the cost. You need a connection that can handle the load, and then there are the bandwidth fees to consider. There's also the power costs of a server drawing a couple hundred watts 24/7.

How the server itself would need to be speced would of course depend upon the actual demands placed upon it. For my own curiosity, I'd like to know what sort of bandwidth we consume.

Honestly though, for a site like this, hosting is probably the best solution. Then J doesn't have to worry about backups, patching, and maintenance himself. I'm sure he's got more than enough to do with his own job...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mainly, I'm not that comfortable with running a web server - no experience, learning it would be inefficient, etc. I am okay doing basic web stuff but I don't know the back end well at all, and I'm not excited to learn.

Colocation is one option, where I would get a server and put it in a colocation center, but then I'd have to have someone maintain it and update it, etc.

The hosting co is trying to get me to go to at least a high volume server, which I will call them about tomorrow. It looked for a while like we might be able to hang on this one, but today apparently we were producing 66% of the traffic on the web server, and crashed it.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
The database errors are caused by maxing out the number of connections, which probably happens when the web server gets choked up with a lot of people on it at once.

There may be a cheaper hosting service I could also look into - I went with the best for right now because I wasn't interested in any stress, and I have been with them for 11 years now and they know their stuff. But I might be able to find a host that is more optimized for the kind of load a forum puts on a server, etc.

Anyway, sorry, I'm looking into it.

And GQG, this month we have sucked down 68GB of bandwidth so far. The plan we're on right now includes 200GB so we are fine on that. But just wait until we expand/revamp the shoe Appreciation gallery.... oops I've said too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads