• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's up with windowpane?

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Why on earth are windowpane patterns for suits and jackets coming back?

I have yet to see a windowpane jacket (or suit) that I think looks good or might even consider wearing.

I am 6'4" and I believe the style looks even worse on tall and/or large people.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Eye of the beholder and all that, but I think a nicely done windowpane plaind is really a great look. Particularly fond of navy windowpane suits.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyskJohan
Why on earth are windowpane patterns for suits and jackets coming back?

I wasn't even aware that they had gone anywhere.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyskJohan
Why on earth are windowpane patterns for suits and jackets coming back? I have yet to see a windowpane jacket (or suit) that I think looks good or might even consider wearing. I am 6'4" and I believe the style looks even worse on tall and/or large people.
I disagree. I'm 6'3" 170lbs. and 2 of my 7 suits have windowpane patterns. I know all the references say solids and stripes are the staples of a suit wardrobe, but windowpanes replace the stripes for me. I don't need a striped suit to create an illusion of being tall and thin, nor do I need a suit to try to create a "power look". Windowpane suits look good on me and they're classic, so they're my patterned suit of choice.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'd rather have a windowpane suit than a pinstripe. It gives off the same visual dynamic as a pinstripe but with a twist. of course if the windowpane is too harsh you end up looking like you were stuck in a wafflemaker. too hard of a pinstripe, you get gangster. too hard of a windowpane and yer an eggo waffle

gefinzi

Reaction score
I don't like the cut of the double breasted suit coat, but the windowpane is fantastic. Likewise, this overcoat is wonderful but I would not choose the raglan sleeves. Bottom line, I love a good windowpane.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for windowpane. As long as it's tasteful and not too bold.

-1 for windowpane if you do a DB P Diddy.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I adore windowpanes. They're more subtle than plaids and provide a nice dressy alternative to pinstripes. I have a dark gray Oxxford with very subtle pink/orange (hard to describe) windowpane that I'd even wear to an interview.

In general, I don't find windowpanes on larger men problematic, except for the smaller windowpanes. Too many of those small boxes starts to look a bit expansive and repetitive. Bigger men can, though, just stick to larger patterns and they're fine.

Fabro

Reaction score
I love windowpanes as well. Some of my best deals on eBay, C21, etc have been windowpane suits and sport coats. I've always suspected that they are more popular in Italy than North America, judging solely on how often really great Italian windowpanes appear on eBay.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like windowpanes as long as they're subtle.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque

I love his suit but his tie really bugs the crap out of me. It is too washed out with that ensemble. I would like to see a darker tie with it. But the suit is beautiful.

texas_jack

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" and I love windowpane. The key is not to wear one that is over the top. That being said I have a light blue jacket with mustard yellow windowpane that I wear in the summer with linen pants. It's moneyyyyyyy!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque

Pinstripe is for gangster; windowpane is for gangsta?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 249 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.6%
  • 31 - 40