• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the ideal weight per height for slim fit shirts/suits?

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Yeah it can really depend on the shirt. I'm 6'1" and 150 lbs, so the only "slim fit" that really fits me is RLBL, Thomas Pink, Prada and Hugo Boss slim. At least that I've found so far...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine you should be fine to wear slim fit as long as you have a drop of 5-6 inches (or more); basically as long as you don't have a fat belly I can't see any reason it won't look okay.

Fourier

Reaction score
Neck size is also important. I'm 5'9" and 210 lbs, but with a 17" neck, I've found most regular-cut shirts to be too blousy.

HHD

Reaction score
Try them! Some slim-fits are practically spray-on for anyone who isn't properly teenage boy skinny. In my experience, "fitted" or "tailored" can be a better guide on labels than "slim."

I think at your height and weight you should be looking for a relatively slender fit anyway; in my view traditional wider legs and straight jackets make shorter men look stumpy (see Nicolas Sarkozy).

For "stumpy" reader "stumpier" - Sarkozy is already stumpy.

jacnyr

Reaction score
You get 10 people with the same height and weight, you will have 10 people with different proportions. People carry there weight in different places.
I'm 5'8'' and weigh 175lbs. I have 42in. chest and 32 in. waist, and I've been told more than once that I have arms like Popeye, so I must have slim fitted shirts.
I would just go and shop as most stores will let you try on the shirts. If you find one you do like but; it is just a little off, you can have it tailored.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fourier
Neck size is also important. I'm 5'9" and 210 lbs, but with a 17" neck, I've found most regular-cut shirts to be too blousy.

Yeah, since shirts are sized by neck-size if you have an unusually large neck you have pretty much no choice but to go slim fit or even MTM.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jacnyr
You get 10 people with the same height and weight, you will have 10 people with different proportions. People carry there weight in different places.

This.

If somebody told you

Their new girlfriend was blue eyed would she be pretty or not?

Height weight doesn't tell you anything.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slim fits are not for everyone. Some guys looks good in it and some guys don't. I think a good rule of thumb is a BMI of less than or equal to 24.

dmac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jacnyr

I agree as well. I am 5'9" 175 with a 17.25 neck but with a 35 waist. Normal size shirts are tents. I have found BB slim fit to be a nice loose fit. I actually picked up an extra slim on clearance and was quite surprised that it fit.

I agree that trying on different offerings from different manufacturers is the way to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads