1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the driving force that causes you to return to StyleForum? (MC Version)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Incognito

Incognito Member

As someone who only recently found SF my main reason was the following:

Not knowing enough about clothes in general, I will (hopefully) need to wear a suit to work once I graduate, while that is far off in the horizon I believe it won't hurt to start building up knowledge already to get things right from the start.

While I have come to understand that the quality was even better before, I find it educational enough for the level I am on at the moment.

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

What's the driving force behind my love for SF?

Mainly boredom and lack of friends.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Some poasts are great. Others are garbage. I'll wait till I hit 2K to unleash the snark.
    You have it in you, Pete. Bring out the tiger blood! You are an F18, bro!
    great poll spoo, but missing one important selection...BOREDOM. [​IMG] oh, and ive been banned from most other forums. [​IMG]
    Dont screw anything up here, Derek. You are a good guy.
    Thought you guys might want to hear from a newly signed up memeber on this subject... I've lurked on and off here for a few years as I had a causal interest in style/fashion for quite some time now, mostly SW&D with a little MC thrown in for special occasions. Working in Silicon Valley you so rarely see well dressed people that I found this forum kept me connected to what is out there. Recently, I took a consulting job at a high end mens store and though I don't actually work on the floor I decided to start dressing up so that I looked as sharp as everyone else. The single most important tool that helped me from dressing poorly in my MC attire was the WAYWT thread. Simply by browsing through the last few months/ and some from last season at this time, worth of posts, I was MUCH better able to see what colors and patterns might work well on me. How important fit is, what not to do, etc etc Anyways, I felt like I had taken a lot from this place and that by making this post I could kinda give back, so to speak. Oh, and Spoo, I think you're probably the best dressed guy I've ever seen. I know you get tons of love from the folks here, but I can see why. I also like the fits of Niidawg, Tonio28, and a few others whose names are escaping me at the moment. This is the first and probably only fashion forum I've ever used and probably ever will, so something here must be working right. Oh, and while I am posting here, do any of the guys from this forum ever do parties/meet ups? I live in the bay area and would like to maybe meet up for some drinks and discuss clothes. I'm sure my GF will look at me crazy if I told her I Was going to meet up with some GUYS for drinks to talk about clothes, but given she went with me to a party in vegas to meet up with my gambling forum 'friends', I guess the ice is already kind of broken.
    Thanks for the compliments... and welcome to SF.
    All the cool kids are wearing them....
    [​IMG] You......
    I do miss Bull's pictures [​IMG]
    +100

4. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Senior member

5. DaBatMan

DaBatMan Senior member

I'm really trying to build a nice, professional wardrobe that I could be proud of. I care a little more about my appearance now-a-days so I come to the forum to get ideas, see what's hot, engage in some good discussion with peers on items that interest me, and laugh at how people squabble like lil girls sometimes. I find myself on the forum a lot. It's been very informative and motivational to me.

6. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

You have it in you, Pete. Bring out the tiger blood! You are an F18, bro!

Well, you unleashed the beast. I may never be the same.

7. TheEdwardian

TheEdwardian Well-Known Member

There's an option missing somewhere in the middle.

I did my SF apprenticeship in about 2006-07 golden age, got my head around the basics, learned a lot. I can't learn as fast now, but I stay to learn about new retailers (or one's new to the forum - who knows when the next Sam Hober, G&G, or other forum favourite may pitch up. I don't need the warlock level stuff, I can't afford it, I don't need another thread telling me where on my waist my trousers should be, or what black tie is.

When I was a started, I was a student, and couldn't afford much at all. Now I can afford the occasional pair of nice shoes, the occasional MTM suit and shirt.

I stay in the hope of learning a little something about what I can buy, where I can buy it, and the occasional piece or real interest or originality. I haven't done a lot of discussing. I can't compete at the high end, I have no interest in the low end. So I lurk. Waiting.

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

There's an option missing somewhere in the middle.

I did my SF apprenticeship in about 2006-07 golden age, got my head around the basics, learned a lot. I can't learn as fast now, but I stay to learn about new retailers (or one's new to the forum - who knows when the next Sam Hober, G&G, or other forum favourite may pitch up. I don't need the warlock level stuff, I can't afford it, I don't need another thread telling me where on my waist my trousers should be, or what black tie is.

When I was a started, I was a student, and couldn't afford much at all. Now I can afford the occasional pair of nice shoes, the occasional MTM suit and shirt.

I stay in the hope of learning a little something about what I can buy, where I can buy it, and the occasional piece or real interest or originality. I haven't done a lot of discussing. I can't compete at the high end, I have no interest in the low end. So I lurk. Waiting.

43 posts in 4 years...

You must be very busy or very shy...

9. TheEdwardian

43 posts in 4 years...

You must be very busy or very shy...

It's varied, I've drifted away, come back, whatever. I tended to find my time was better spent reading/laughing at more stuff, rather than throwing in one liners (not aimed as a criticism of your comment, btw) - just didn't see the point of thread-bloating byt adding another I like/don't like your suit which is too big/small. Unless you have the thing on a feed and are checking constantly to be in first, the relevant consensus or line in the sand emerges quickly enough.

My posts have been where I thought I had something genuinely interesting to tell, or new information to add. infrequent checking means that doesn't happen that often.

Do you need to know I just bought a new pair of C&Js, and that they fit fine, and I think they are really rather nice?

Didn't have the relevant tech to post pics of my stuff much. That may change with the entry into my life of a smartphone. Tell you what, I'll post my new suit when I pick it up in a couple of weeks and be a proper denizen. And I might show you what I will wear to the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

And I might show you what I will wear to the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

No slight to the outfit, but I'd prefer a gold-plated tip as to the winner instead. [​IMG]

11. TheEdwardian

No slight to the outfit, but I'd prefer a gold-plated tip as to the winner instead. [​IMG]

You say that without having seen the outfit.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I haven't seen the tip yet either.

I clearly need to see both first, to decide which I prefer.

13. TheEdwardian

I haven't seen the tip yet either.

I clearly need to see both first, to decide which I prefer.

I suspect you need to see the result of the race first to decide which you prefer. I hope my outfit wouldn't be so bad to be less preferable than a bad tip? [​IMG]

14. Lear

Lear Senior member

Probably the most honest statement I'll ever make here: speaking as someone who never amounted to much in the looks department, it's a way of deflecting attention onto the clothes and away from the unfortunate physique, facial features and total lack of presence. It may not be sinking in fast, but the little I've picked up has been of tremendous help.

I return to SF for inspiration.

Lear (the ugly one)

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Probably the most honest statement I'll ever make here: speaking as someone who never amounted to much in the looks department, it's a way of deflecting attention onto the clothes and away from the unfortunate physique, facial features and total lack of presence. It may not be sinking in fast, but the little I've picked up has been of tremendous help.

Lear (the ugly one)

That is really sad. You can't be that ugly, man.

16. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

I do miss Bull's pictures [​IMG]

I miss Bull, period. I didn't realize he was gone until I tried to PM him a video of Amber Rose.
    who else would appreciate that.

17. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

Anyone mention dictures yet?

18. DaBatMan

DaBatMan Senior member

Lear (the ugly one)

That is really sad. You can't be that ugly, man.

I just spit my latte all over my computer.

I miss Bull, period. I didn't realize he was gone until I tried to PM him a video of Amber Rose.
    who else would appreciate that.

Are-ah... I would!

19. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

Most of my time spent on SF is searching the archives to give me ideas for bespoke commissions. I like reading discussions about approaches to design and construction, fabric/color/pattern choices, etc.

Needs a "to dig through the archives" section, imho. Whatever one thinks of the current state of affairs, it's the depth of the place that makes it valuable.

I've lurked here for years --The archives are rich in information.

Now, it's more of this:

I come here for the camaraderie and the snark.

20. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

pollfail. deep-seated, searing white-hot self-loathing is not a listed option.