• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you suggest for someone of my body type and age looking to build a capsule wardrobe inspired by classic menswear?

Ddubs

Reaction score
Picture of myself for reference, 5'5 around 110 lbs:

1000008713.jpg

I'm 24 and am looking to slowly rebuild my wardrobe after becoming increasingly dissatisfied with how I dress. My main inspirations so far have come from the likes of Derek Guy/dieworkwear and permanent style, particularly the capsule wardrobe guide from PS, but I'm still very much a novice regarding classic menswear.

I'm definitely not ready to jump in the deep end with full bespoke suits yet, but am looking to take things in a more formal direction, particularly for my smart casual office environment at work. Although, most people there dress much closer on the casual end of the spectrum. Personally however, I like to put effort into my outfits and appear well put together when out in public.

This post has come off the back of an earlier thread I made about trousers which generated some great discussion and really got me thinking how I would like to dress moving forward. I'd like to expand the discussion more broadly outside of just trousers. So if you're at all curious for more context, feel free to have a look at the post.

What I'm looking for when asking for suggestions is: which route mainly in terms of the cut, fit, silhouette, details and the clothing items themselves would help me 'dress for my body type' and age when laying the foundations of a capsule wardrobe based around classic menswear. As an example, TheIronDandy recommended flat front trousers (as opposed to pleats) with a moderate width and medium rise with belt loops for my body type and offered a great, insightful accompanying explanation which helped me understand the reasoning.

I think I have a decent understanding of which items I should be looking into from the PS guide, but feel free to fire away what you think or even suggest brands for starting out. I.e. am I barking up the from tree with something like this as a starter blazer: Universal Works Blazer

I'm not brazenly looking for someone to personally curate exactly what my wardrobe should look like, but rather to learn and take advice from the plethora of highly knowledgeable individuals on here. For now at least, I think the user ThinWhiteDuke from my previous post best summarised my current attitude, and where I'd like to start at least, when talking about cotton/hopsack and tweed blazers: "not so formal that you feel self conscious as 'that guy' in the office who's always 'dressed up'. And if you are? Screw 'em! That's their lookout if they want to be schlubs!"

Last edited:

KOz

Reaction score
Don't overthink the whole dressing for your body type thing. Do some soul searching and research to decide what style(s) work the best for you. Does the style work for your lifestyle and personality? Following generic "X goes with Y" advice will only ensure you end up nowhere in particular.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pants cuffs is a standard recommendation for that height. Minimal color contrast between shoes and pants is additional advice.
110 pounds is very slim, which in a professional context is best to camouflage. Therefore, no "skinny" cut items. Nothing oversized either, but from the picture that seems unnecessary to say. Patterns in general distract from body dimensions. A lightweight sweater in cold-enough weather would add some bulk.
Beyond that, the "lifestyle and personality" statement holds true.

Last edited:

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Don't stick too closely to what Permanent Style says. I think it's a great blog and Simon has some beautiful clothes. But his style of classic menswear just won't be appropriate for 90 percent of men out there in today's world. It's too formal, too elegant and refined. He mostly writes about top-end clothes costing in the high hundreds or thousands, and the danger is that if you try and emulate this look without going high-end bespoke, they simply won't be the same perfect, artisanal, hand-crafted items that he wears, and you won't create the same impact. Even leaving aside, for the moment, the fact that the idea is to build your own style, rather than ape someone else's.
Personally I think the worlds of workwear, streetwear and vintage are far better starting points, these days, for young (or even not-so-young) men looking to foster their own sense of style, than the world of high-end, bespoke classic menswear.
I much prefer a lot of his more casual looks, though, when he writes about jeans and suede and stuff. But I think the blazer/collared shirt/tailored trousers/loafers thing that he pushes as a "new menswear uniform" just isn't right for most men, most workplaces, or most day-to-day life. I live and work in London, as does Simon, which is a highly cosmopolitan city with a lot of very style-conscious people, and the people who you see on the street who stand out as well-dressed or stylish are very rarely dressed like that, these days.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I'll chip in with one more piece of advice, inspired by DieWorkWear when he frequented these forums:

Don't worry so much about which type of tailoring you should wear, or what mill to use, or how wide your lapels should be. Instead, figure out how you want to look!

Find people who has a style that inspires you, and then (this is the hard part) figure out WHY YOU LIKE IT. Using Simon as an example, it's possible to like his style because he wears formal tailoring in a fairly understated, "safe" way. But it's also possible to like his style because he uses the best bespoke tailors out there, has a professional photographer take the pictures, and has years of experience in getting comfortable wearing tailoring. If you like his style for the first reason, it makes sense to be inspired, not so much for the second reason (since no amount of inspiration will make you rich enough to afford those tailors and photographers, nor make you comfortable wearing them).

Classic menswear can be particularly tricky here because we usually have subconscious associations with certain styles. We may want to dress a certain way because we associate it with being confident and successful, but copying the style of the successful doesn't copy their skill or success (I learned this the hard way, trying to buy the same gear as UFC fighters were using - it did NOT make me a better grappler!)

So, perhaps start with looking at the outfit-picture threads in the CM forum: the What are you Wearing Today thread and the Classic Menswear casual style thread. See if there's any looks that inspire you there. Then I'm sure we'll have an easier time helping you with adapting that look to your build and budget.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulioCesarSalad