• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What were you wearing in 9th grade?

majorhancock

Reaction score
We've all come a long way in style, but sometimes I think I may have been more daring when I was 15.

You can probably guess my age group from what I was wearing back in those days:

Here's a nice flashback to the Jade East days:

http://www.the60sofficialsite.com/My_Jade_East_Adventure.html

And for what it's worth, I still own two paisley shirts that I hang on to for nostalgia's sake.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the fourth form (equivalent to ninth grade) of an English Grammar School, I wore a navy blazer, white shirt, burgundy and gold striped tie, grey trousers, and black leather shoes.

At 15, however, I was allergic to wool and found it almost impossible to wear woolen trousers. So my trousers were made of "Crimplene", as was my blazer. My aversion to wool extended to cotton & polyester shirts (back in those days, it seemed virtually impossible to find all-cotton dress shirts, certainly in boys' sizes). So my shirts were nylon. The school tie was also polyester (I know because I still have it, my sixth form tie, and my prefect's tie, all polyester). By the fourth form, I was no longer required to wear a school cap, which was a relief. In the summer, we were permitted to remove the tie and wear our shirt collar outside our jacket's collar.

The thought of wearing so much artificial fiber now makes my skin crawl. But it got me through some dark days, indeed. I remember wearing new wool flannel trousers to school at the beginning of the year and being absolutely miserable all day while my skin itched and itched. And if it was a warm September day, my misery was compounded.

Good times.

majorhancock

Reaction score
Thanks for the reference to Crimplene, which I had never heard of (and hope never to wear).

Artificial fabrics do make my skin crawl, and so do "100% cotton" non-iron shirts, which are obviously sprayed with some plasticizing agent to keep them permanently pressed.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not exactly the pinnacle of good taste, but I'm not gonna try and sugarcoat it:

Sonny58

Reaction score
  • Bell-bottomed, hip-hugger jeans with "VOTE" embroidered on the back pocket
  • A paisley shirt with a big collar
  • Macrame belt
  • Braces

I can't remember what shoes I wore but it doesn't really matter because you couldn't hardly see them.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
plaid Wrangler brand western shirt over a colored t-shirt.
thick brown belt with a heavy buckle.
Levis or boot cut corduroys.
tan Frye boots round toe--Not square toe!
Onitsuka-tiger track shoes.. in blue.
Green M-65 field jacket with liner
goatskin flight jacket
polyester running jacket in the spring.

Arimis cologne

emidyl

Reaction score
great thread, I just wish I could remember...

most likely some generic off brand jeans and such. Didn't really get into anything significant until I had a girlfriend later on in 11-12
and then it was more wave music clothing. ugh!

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically, what I still wear today. I'm old. I was in 9th grade in 1982. The whole "yuppie" thing was just starting to be a thing and so prep was a popular look. Gant button down plaid shirts, 501s, and Bass Weejuns or Sperry topsiders. Today the denim is selvedge, the shirts Brooks OCBD or the occasional plaid madras, and loafers are AE Kenwoods. The overall look is the same.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lived right out side of NYC in 1968 for 9th grade in a small village that had a strong influence of both ivy league and the emerging youth fashion scene inspired by Greenwich Village. The school had just dropped their "No blue jean" policy (and their "no pants for females policy :)" ) which allowed for a bit more creative expression. In general during the winter I wore a Navy Pea coat or navy CPO wool shirt, jeans, suede boots, Shetland wool or Fishermans knit sweater and OCBDs. In spring and summer pure white or blue jeans with striped T shirts or chambray work shirts with water buffalo sandles. We also had some semi formal events where we wore jeans, OCBD's a tie and blue blazer or tweed jackets. We couldn't get into a school dance without a tie and a jacket. To be expressive we wore our most distressed jeans and beat up Bass Weejun loafers. I had a pair of jeans with major bleach splotches.

steffenbp11

Reaction score
I pretty much wore what all Danish teenagers wore at the time: a mock varsity sweatshirt with the logo "Ball" emblazoned all over it, Levi´s jeans (510´s) and white nike sneakers with a light blue swoosh.
Spent 10 th grade in the Mountains of upstate New York where I started to appreciate the finer things in life such as the Bolo tie and flannel shirts...

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like Salad and I are the same age. 9th grade (1981-82) was all about Levi's 501s, Sperry Topsiders, K-Swiss, polo shirts and t-shirts. Arizona wasn't much of a place for madras plaid though.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tommy Hilfiger (though less so through high school) or Ralph Lauren (J Crew/BR later) polo shirts. Khaki slacks or shorts. Doc Martin sandals or Birkenstock sandals.

9th grade: 1999-2000

Last edited:

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like Salad and I are the same age. 9th grade (1981-82) was all about Levi's 501s, Sperry Topsiders, K-Swiss, polo shirts and t-shirts. Arizona wasn't much of a place for madras plaid though.

Yup, K Swiss! I don't know how many pairs I went through. The side would always blowout by the pinkie toe and I would take fishing line and an awl and hand stitch it back to to the sole. Jordans would start to come out a few years later but my Mom would never pay that much for sneakers for me which lead to a major obsession w/ sneakers later in life. Still unabashedly a sneaker addict.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads