• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What wallet do you use?

BearHunter104

Reaction score

I also have the Horween Dublin in the Roasted Walnut.......7 Cards...Hunting License and Medical Cards.....5 to 6 bills................
I really prefer the Chromexel........as per wearing the thinest.........have no clue.................

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
My "Wallet": Wooden Card Holder

Sheepdog149

Reaction score

Natural steerhide Dalee's/Deluxeware, of Japan. It's developed a nice, golden brown patina, darkening with use.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Friday

Reaction score
I'm thinking about switching things up, seeing just how minimial I can go, so knocked these two out but can't decide on the stitch. Any preferences?

walds11

Reaction score

I should add too that i never carry cash, even though this wallet was designed specifically for that purpose. You have to be careful though when taking cash out of the clip. I once ripped a bill in half because it got stuck

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I can see that happening, especially if your wallet is really loaded with cards. The bulk of the cards near the clip could potentially "hang-up" the cash.

How thick is yours loaded?

iancmedina

Reaction score
I did a review on a couple of minimalist wallets including why one should never buy Genuine Leather. Hope this helps!

0.jpg

nstarleather

Reaction score
The idea that "genuine leather" always means of lesser quality is not exactly accurate.
Saddleback uses that term to refer to what's really called (by people who actually tan leather) a "finished split" (as in a suede that has a painted finish on top). PU leather is similar, it's just a thicker plastic-like layer on top. Genuine leather is not really an "industry term" to mean a lesser grade, that usage originates with Saddleback (and sources that quote him). Unfortunately they've (knowingly or not caused some confusion). This is something relatively new.
A little evidence:
You can find amazing vintage pieces made in quality leather proudly stamped "genuine leather." Cheap imports "killed" the word by stamping it on anything that might in some small way once been leather, but that doesn't actually change the meaning of the word Genuine.
I also have some vintage tooling stamps that say "Genuine Leather", those stamps only work on full grain veg-tan leather.

Most of us makers have stopped using the words "Genuine Leather" just because of the above reasons. However, there are still some folks who use the word as it was used originally- to mean "real" there are some guys out there working with English Bridle,Chromexcel, and other full grain leathers who happily still call it Genuine. You should pay attention before ruling anything out, especially if it's made here. The easier way to tell the good from the bad is thickness and the way it's constructed. If you open a card pocket and look inside, do you see nylon or do you see leather? Most imports only have a "band" of leather across the pocket and the pocket itself is completely nylon.

iancmedina

Reaction score
The idea that "genuine leather" always means of lesser quality is not exactly accurate.
Saddleback uses that term to refer to what's really called (by people who actually tan leather) a "finished split" (as in a suede that has a painted finish on top). PU leather is similar, it's just a thicker plastic-like layer on top. Genuine leather is not really an "industry term" to mean a lesser grade, that usage originates with Saddleback (and sources that quote him). Unfortunately they've (knowingly or not caused some confusion). This is something relatively new.
A little evidence:
You can find amazing vintage pieces made in quality leather proudly stamped "genuine leather." Cheap imports "killed" the word by stamping it on anything that might in some small way once been leather, but that doesn't actually change the meaning of the word Genuine.
I also have some vintage tooling stamps that say "Genuine Leather", those stamps only work on full grain veg-tan leather.

Most of us makers have stopped using the words "Genuine Leather" just because of the above reasons. However, there are still some folks who use the word as it was used originally- to mean "real" there are some guys out there working with English Bridle,Chromexcel, and other full grain leathers who happily still call it Genuine. You should pay attention before ruling anything out, especially if it's made here. The easier way to tell the good from the bad is thickness and the way it's constructed. If you open a card pocket and look inside, do you see nylon or do you see leather? Most imports only have a "band" of leather across the pocket and the pocket itself is completely nylon.
That's a wealth of information. Thank you for giving me a history lesson.

I admit I was being too general by ruling out anything that says "GL" but if this is the norm with most products being mass produced, shouldn't we adjust too? I cut up not only this wallet but a couple of watch bands too. They were similar in their paper cores.

Don't worry, I'll still trust a maker or small shop that's hand tooling their products. I hear that SBL's quality has diminished in recent years so I look forward to supporting makers that keep everything on the up and up.

nstarleather

Reaction score
I admit I was being too general by ruling out anything that says "GL" but if this is the norm with most products being mass produced, shouldn't we adjust too? I cut up not only this wallet but a couple of watch bands too. They were similar in their paper cores.

Don't worry, I'll still trust a maker or small shop that's hand tooling their products. I hear that SBL's quality has diminished in recent years so I look forward to supporting makers that keep everything on the up and up.
I have adjusted what we say on our site, but I think when I started some of our descriptions said Genuine. One thing you may also have been seeing with the wallets you cut cut up is that lots of imports use a full or top grain goat or sheep skin but use a leather that's incredibly thin and have to stiffen it with cardboard. It's actually very tough to make a wallet with lots of pockets and keep it from getting too bulky; when you see a wallet with tons of pockets (even zippers sometimes), then it's a pretty good bet that you're getting a very small percentage of actual leather. A guy came by the shop the other day and showed me a Filson wallet that he'd paid over $100 for. The first thing I did was look under the cards and sure enough: tiny strip of leather at the top of each card pocket and nylon interiors.
I think SLB makes what seems to be a decent, long lasting product,but you can tell that his real strength is marketing. Those videos are entertaining but many times in accurate.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you guys recommend any good independent wallet maker? I am thinking $250>> for a clean bifold. Thanks in advance :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads