• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear under dress shirt?

RHYNO

Reaction score
Searched this forum for an answer with no luck

What do you guys usually wear under your dress shirt?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dburr
A gentleman wears an undershirt of some description. Rebel movie stars and other misfits often do not.

I disagree. It's better not to wear anything under a dress shirt. Exceptions to the rule are if you sweat a lot or are doing manual labor, then you can wear an undershirt or if it's really cold.

RHYNO

Reaction score
A gentleman wears an undershirt of some description. Rebel movie stars and other misfits often do not.

If your wearing a high end bespoke suit what would be the appropriate undershirt?

Drydis Greis

Reaction score

+1! IMHO, unless you are at the beach or live in the tropics, an undershirt should be worn.

RHYNO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I disagree. It's better not to wear anything under a dress shirt. Exceptions to the rule are if you sweat a lot or are doing manual labor, then you can wear an undershirt or if it's really cold and your shirt is fully buttoned up.

thats what i initially thought - to not wear anything. but wanted to make sure what the proper etiquette was

I hate it when youre wearing a dress shirt and you can see a vest undershirt thats underneath

therorschach

Reaction score
I used to rock the white crew neck undershirt under virtually everything, but I realized how tacky the look is with open collar shirts. Now, I will only wear an undershirt if it isn't visible at all. Under dress shirts, I will either wear a v-neck or an a-shirt. I usually only stick with a-shirts under dark colored dress shirts as the outline of the shirt is visible with lighter colored ones. Other than that, I won't wear one at all.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not going to speak for age-old tradition, or what a gentleman does, because I don't know nor do I care. Here is what looks best in my humble opinion, in order:

1) Nothing underneath. If you do not plan on sweating, that is.
2) V-neck underneath, if you plan on sweating. Please note that this works best with shirts of a substantial material. If you shirt is light and see-through, it will look bad to see that undershirt underneath it.

Have a see-through shirt and need to wear an undershirt? That's a tough one.

When wearing a suit and tie, it does not matter too much as no one will see it. When wearing just a shirt and tie (if you plan on having the jacket off during work hours), a crew neck is preferable, so the "V" can't be seen under the shirt (in the case of a lighter see-through shirt).

Basically, if you don't sweat, no undershirt. If you do, it gets more complicated depending on the situation.

doubleb

Reaction score
undershirt; that way your nips don't show

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your shirt is the undershirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads