• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear (shirts) with a jacket and jeans? Pics?

minya

Reaction score
I love all the looks in this thread. God damnit, j, if I lived in Seattle I'd rip that jacket off your body and take it myself.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That creeps me out just a bit.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flame:
I see, thanks.
As for me, I have only done it once with an Armani deconstructed lightweight sportcoat (thrift store find) ... I don't know. I like some of the looks here but it does not feel like me to be honest. I would be more likely to wear a long coat instead of a sportcoat. All academic of course in Tucson :)

minya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
That creeps me out just a bit.
Why, because I want to wear a j-scented jacket close to my skin? Why should that ever disturb you???

*flutters eyelashes*

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
Why, because I want to wear a j-scented jacket close to my skin? Why should that ever disturb you???

*flutters eyelashes*

Now I think I am disturbed. That bloody avatar does not help!
lol8[1].gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya

*flutters eyelashes*

inlove.gif

Actually, I might be able to find something similar for you on my travels. What size?

(I will put some Old Spice High Endurance scent on it for you for an extra fee)

minya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
inlove.gif

Actually, I might be able to find something similar for you on my travels. What size?

(I will put some Old Spice High Endurance scent on it for you for an extra fee)

38!

mmmmmmm, Old Spice! Throw in some Axe while you're at it for a truly lascivious blend.
tounge.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hah. Actually, I continually get compliments on my scent when I'm only wearing half-day-old Old Spice Fresh Cool Mountain Breeze Water Spray or whatever it is. The blue kind.

I'll keep my eye out - actually I may have one (black tropical wool jacket, slim, vintage 60s) that is a bit too snug for me, but I can't remember what size Brian was and he would have first dibs.

familyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I agree with that ....I prefer buttondown collars with a jacket too. I had Jantzen make 2 shirts that are real slim thru the body but with tall rounded buttondown collars. Looks good if yer going for a modern twist on late 50s/early 60s ivy style. Tucked of course.

Any pics of the shirts? I alwasy like to have 100 things lined up to spend my money on and I only have about 95 on the list now. I'm very interested in how your shirts look though.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This pic (hope it comes through) was from a Toastmasters meeting. I was getting payback.

Friday work wear consists of jeans (the more worn / lighter in color the better), bold dress shirt (windowpane or stripes), slim navy jacket, brown lace-ups. Kind of like I discarded the trousers for jeans.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by familyman
Any pics of the shirts? I alwasy like to have 100 things lined up to spend my money on and I only have about 95 on the list now. I'm very interested in how your shirts look though.

not any readily avail....these are the fabrics I had them made in tho:

Checkers 238
check2orangeandpinkgingham10-07.jpg

Checkers 212
checkwhitebluewindowppoxford.jpg

I use my standard "tight" fit with tall buttondown simi rounded collar

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
This pic (hope it comes through) was from a Toastmasters meeting. I was getting payback.

Friday work wear consists of jeans (the more worn / lighter in color the better), bold dress shirt (windowpane or stripes), slim navy jacket, brown lace-ups. Kind of like I discarded the trousers for jeans.

Toastmasters is apparently a lot more fun than it sounds...
lol8[1].gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Toastmasters is apparently a lot more fun than it sounds...
lol8[1].gif

We have around 40% cut-ups at our club. That pic actually caught the grand fromage of cut-ups who is wearing the bunny ears. He sells cemetery plots but has great timing and delivery.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
j, you described my outfit in the winter (only time in SoCal I can wear them). Both hard and soft collar shirts look good, I never tuck into jeans. There's something about the thickness and texture mismatch I don't like but the shirt has to be slim and short. I have a bunch of nice **** but most fit like well dress shirts untucked and I haven't got around to taking them to a tailor for some modding. I'm a big blazer fan and I'm probably going to pick up this grey tweed one soon also. I'll post some pics in the waywt thread soon if I can.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW, thanks for all your tips. I found that I do have a couple of dress shirts I think will work with this, including my only buttondown collar, a Faconnable purple/white candy stripe. I also thought of the AA leisure shirst or the BR equivalent that I have a few of, which would probably work well too. I'll give them a shot and see what I think.

Oh, and I hate turtlenecks, but that may be because I was forced to wear ugly cotton/poly ones as a kid. Maybe now I will find some I like. At one point I had a J. Crew bright orange wool turtleneck that I loved, but it would be too warm for this and a moth ate it anyway.

And while I'm editing the post to think out loud, 1/4 zips in a thin fitted sweater would probably work quite well too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics